Mom age 25, has 6 kids, all born with a cocktail of drugs in their system

What should the law do about a 25-year-old drug addict who has had six children so far and shows no signs of stopping either having children or using drugs.

This is not a hypothetical situation.

The law seems impotent to protect the children she is carrying. Am I wrong? I hope I'm wrong.

give her some more food stamps and welfare.. and lawd whatever you do don't drug test her.

That is exactly how government handles it. Many babies are born drug addicted and many of those parents continue to raise the kid and have more, which results in a bigger welfare check. Nice to know our tax dollars are enabling drug abuse and child abuse.

The parent should be arrested for child endangerment and the children taken to foster care. I don't see that happen until a child is seriously hurt or killed. It's insane. I think states vary on how this is handled. I am in a fairly liberal state and idiots are running the place.

Thanks for your insights.

Here's a relevant story I just found -- a Virginia judge ruled that it's not child abuse to hook your fetus on heroin and dismissed the charge related to that.

Abuse charge dismissed Va heroin-addicted baby case, mom convicted of drug possession - WTKR

The liberal answer is to legalize drugs so this woman wouldn't be doing anything wrong in the first place! She has a right to put anything in her body she wants to If her choice is to poison her unborn children with drugs it is her decision. Once the children are born, she's like the woman with 15 babies looking for the government to support them. The mother has no responsibility for the children. They are solely the obligation to the state. Their only function is to justify money every month to support them, whether or not she does. Mother might receive money for food or shelter spending it is her decision. When she buys drugs, she is exercising her freedom as a citizen. Feeding the children should be done by someone else.

It all makes sense to a liberal.

give her some more food stamps and welfare.. and lawd whatever you do don't drug test her.

That is exactly how government handles it. Many babies are born drug addicted and many of those parents continue to raise the kid and have more, which results in a bigger welfare check. Nice to know our tax dollars are enabling drug abuse and child abuse.

The parent should be arrested for child endangerment and the children taken to foster care. I don't see that happen until a child is seriously hurt or killed. It's insane. I think states vary on how this is handled. I am in a fairly liberal state and idiots are running the place.

Here's a relevant story I just found -- a Virginia judge ruled that it's not child abuse to hook your fetus on heroin and dismissed the charge related to that.

Abuse charge dismissed Va heroin-addicted baby case, mom convicted of drug possession - WTKR

the child was removed from the mothers care and she was charged for drug possession

the child was removed from the mothers care and she was charged for drug possession

That was a separate charge. Not about the harm to her child.

the child was removed from her care because it could be in danger..you cant have woman aborting fetuses if you are going to give fetuses the rights of a child or they would all be murders

the child was removed from her care because it could be in danger..you cant have woman aborting fetuses if you are going to give fetuses the rights of a child or they would all be murders

Very Boxer-onian answer there. I guess she would agree that it is legal to poison the fetus until its last little limb is freed from the vaginal canal and a doctor has signed the certificate of live birth.

I suppose it would be considered gender-related discrimination to look more closely for evidence of breaking of drug laws if a woman has a history of producing drug-poisoned babies. The 25-year-old is obviously breaking the law. One would think she could be put in prison for the drug crimes and that would at least slow down her ability to poison children. She isn't averaging quite one child a year but she's close. After one drug-poisoned child she could have been put on probation at least and after the 2nd that could have been grounds to revoke the probation. ... one might think.

Forum List

Back