Mold, dust, headaches? Oh my!

Bones

VIP Member
Dec 27, 2010
Might as well get this out of the way: I live in a trailer. No, I'm not trailer trash nor do I live in a trailer park.

With that said, the propane heater I use emits lots of moisture and after using it, the window sills become not only damp, but wet. It's been a while since I've checked the sills for mold and when I did, lo and behold, there it was! So I break out the Lysol, spray it down and then wipe it up with a cleaning rag. This is done throughout the entire trailer. Later that night, when I was in bed ready to sleep, I noticed that I was slightly wheezing, a little dizzy, my limbs were a tad heavier than usual and the back of my throat was itchy, as if a spot of dust was stuck back there.

I'm not sure if I stirred up a bunch of dust when I was cleaning the sills or what, but these symptoms didn't arise even with the mold still there. Any ideas why I'm suffering from these symptoms? :eusa_eh:

Good grief. Do some research and open your flipping windows to let the moisture out. With a propane heater you should always have something open somewhere anyway.

And lysol won't kill that shit, you need bleach. But heavens knows what it is.

I will never understand why men live in trailers and close them up so tight the air can't circulate.

And lysol won't kill that shit, you need bleach. But heavens knows what it is.
Good to know that.

I will never understand why men live in trailers and close them up so tight the air can't circulate.
I open up a window when I turn the heater on. If I open up anymore windows, then the heater becomes useless.

You winterize all but one small window, and you leave it open about 1-2 inches all year long. When you take showers, leave the bathroom door open, and leave your front door open as often as you can to improve air circulation.

Have a time during the day when you turn off the heater and open up the door and let the air whip through it for an hour or so..I used to leave windows open in the back and front of the house for as long as it took me to do morning housekeeping when I was a stay at home mom...usually about an hour. I'd get dressed, turn the heat off, open everything up, turn back the beds, vacuum, sweep, then re-make the beds, shut the house up (except for one window, always, at least) and turn the heat back on.

Air is your friend.

Of course that was for a four bedroom house and many beds. In a trailer, you'd have to figure out something else to do because it probably won't take you an hour to unmake bed, vacuum, sweep, and then make the bed. YOu could always spend the rest of the hour going around with a bleach bottle, touching up the mold.

PS, be careful with the bleach, it can be deadly too.

A solution of bleach and water will kill the mold/mildew. Lysol won't do jack for it.

I experience throat and/or roof of mouth itching fairly frequently. Usually it's dust, pet hair or seasonal (late April-end of May). When I pulled out all of the Christmas decorations from the basement (unfinished part), my throat was really itchy for a day or two. My oldest is allergic to the cat and also has asthma. When she comes home from college her throat itches for many days due to the cat.

In addition to Allie's suggestions (airing out the house is a must), vacuum and dust everything really well. When it all settles see if your symptoms disappear.

Just a thought --- perhaps it was the Lysol that bothered your throat?

Last edited:
Mold problem at U. of Penn. Medical Center...

4th patient infected during mold outbreak at hospital dies
7 Feb.`16 — A fourth transplant patient who contracted a fungal infection during a mold outbreak at a western Pennsylvania hospital has died, officials said Sunday.
The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center confirmed the death of Che DuVall, a 70-year-old retired glass cutter who was diagnosed with the infection in September, a month after undergoing a double lung transplant. "We extend our deepest sympathies to his family, as well as to our doctors and nurses who have worked with great compassion and skill to care for him," UPMC spokeswoman Allison Hydzik said in a statement. "We again want to reassure our patients that we have taken every possible precaution to make our hospitals as safe as is humanly possible and have followed all recommendations made by federal and state regulators."

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said four organ transplant patients who developed a mold infection at UPMC likely got it from time spent in a "negative pressure" room normally reserved for those who already had infections. The hospital suspended its transplant program Sept. 21 but resumed it about a week later after a review of procedures and treatments. DuVall and his wife, Karen, had filed a lawsuit in Allegheny County last month against UPMC Presbyterian, alleging that the hospital recklessly housed him in a room that made him more susceptible to such an infection, which prompted removal of parts of his new lungs.

UPMC, which declined to comment on the suit, has maintained that the deaths cannot be directly attributed to mold because transplant patients with weakened immune systems are at risk of picking up infections that otherwise healthy people routinely fight off. Family attorney Brendan Lupetin told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that DuVall died Saturday morning at UPMC Presbyterian. He had three children. "Our thoughts are with the family during this very difficult time," he said.

4th patient infected during mold outbreak at hospital dies

Forum List

Back