Mohammed cartoon contest: Protest held outside Phoenix mosque

Brian_1349

Mar 22, 2015
His T-shirt pretty much says it all: "F--- Islam." Some of the counterprotesters wore shirts that said, "Love Thy Neighbor."

Protests counterprotest outside Phoenix mosque - CNN.com

There is one little fact I want to draw your attention to. While protesters advocate pure hatred, counterprotesters preach for love and tolerance. I think it is easy to understand who is right and who is wrong in this situation. Hatred doesn't work and it never will. What do you think young Muslims, friendly to American society, will think about the United States after seeing these pictures and reading "F*** Islam" logos?

His T-shirt pretty much says it all: "F--- Islam." Some of the counterprotesters wore shirts that said, "Love Thy Neighbor."

There is one little fact I want to draw your attention to. While protesters advocate pure hatred, counterprotesters preach for love and tolerance. I think it is easy to understand who is right and who is wrong in this situation. Hatred doesn't work and it never will. What do you think young Muslims, friendly to American society, will think about the United States after seeing these pictures and reading "F*** Islam" logos?

Freedom of Speech

Next?

-Geaux

All this ill conceived stunt did was alienate further the American muslim community. ....... :cool:

Actually, I would respectfully disagree. The point of free speech isn't so that the flower children can run around spreading love, peace, happiness (yes, that was a "Hair" reference) to everyone. That speech doesn't need protecting - everyone's kinda okay with happy, sunshiny speech. No. The free speech clause of the first amendment is there to protect the Grand Dragon of the KKK, the leader of the Neo-NAZIs, the racist, the homophobe, the religious zealot, and the bigot. You see, it is their speeches that rational, reasonable, intelligent people find disgusting, hateful, and reprobate. Which makes it very easy to justify allowing people to silence them, and deny them their "fifteen minutes of fame". However, if we do not just as diligently defend that right for those whose speech we despise, and those with whom we, however violently, disagree then we are conceding that speech is not a "right", but a "privilege". And, if speech is a "privilege", then just who gets to be the arbiter who decides who is "worthy" of that privilege, and by what authority?

All this ill conceived stunt did was alienate further the American muslim community. ....... :cool:
That seems to be the idea...

BFD

Yes.

I'm not a fan of Islam - as a matter of fact, I think it's too alien and too incompatible with Western culture and democracy to survive here in its mainstream form - and I believe that it poses a worldwide danger to the peace over the coming decades.

Yet - this is a level of provocation - based purely on hatred - that even an anti-Islamic type like me, is willing to say that this was just plain wrong.

An art-contest? No problem. Caricaturizing Uncle Mo? No problem.

But, right outside a place of worship? Nope. Encouraging the participants to 'come packing' (firearms)? Nope.

Kristallnacht Lite?

Makes us look as bad as the Muslim Brotherhood types stirring-up shit outside of Coptic churches in Egypt, and others in the Middle East who persecute Christians.

Just because we CAN do a thing does not mean that we SHOULD do a thing.

I know that same counter-argument has been used to try to slap down the original cartoon-contest some weeks ago, and I ignored the counter-argument then.

I don't really care.

The contest right outside a place of worship, coupled with the call to bring-along firearms, was, to my tiny little brain, taking it one or two notches too far.

Crossing a line that probably should not have been crossed.

Which - for my money - is what happened here.

Last edited:

Freedom of Speech

Next?

-Geaux
You are judged on your speech

The protesters behavior does not put them in a good light

Freedom of Speech

Next?

-Geaux

Irrelevant. The whole point of free speech is that you are also free to be a dick.

Freedom of Speech

Next?

-Geaux

Ok, so what? It's always been that way. One has to decide how they want to be judged by speech and or the company they keep

-Geaux

Freedom of Speech

Next?

-Geaux

Irrelevant. The whole point of free speech is that you are also free to be a dick.
And others are free to point out what a dick you are

Freedom of Speech

Next?

-Geaux

Ok, so what? It's always been that way. One has to decide how they want to be judged by speech and or the company they keep

-Geaux
If they were there to make a point that Muslims are violent....They didn't
If they wanted to make a point about religious intolerance .....They did, but not the point they wanted to make

Freedom of Speech

Next?

-Geaux

And others are free to point out what a dick you are
Point it out? Yes. Try to stop it? No.

Yes.

I'm not a fan of Islam - as a matter of fact, I think it's too alien and too incompatible with Western culture and democracy to survive here in its mainstream form - and I believe that it poses a worldwide danger to the peace over the coming decades.

Yet - this is a level of provocation - based purely on hatred - that even an anti-Islamic type like me, is willing to say that this was just plain wrong.

An art-contest? No problem. Caricaturizing Uncle Mo? No problem.

But, right outside a place of worship? Nope. Encouraging the participants to 'come packing' (firearms)? Nope.

Kristallnacht Lite?

Makes us look as bad as the Muslim Brotherhood types stirring-up shit outside of Coptic churches in Egypt, and others in the Middle East who persecute Christians.

I know that same counter-argument has been used to try to slap down the original cartoon-contest some weeks ago, and I ignored the counter-argument then.

I don't really care.

The contest right outside a place of worship, coupled with the call to bring-along firearms, was, to my tiny little brain, taking it one or two notches too far.

Crossing a line that probably should not have been crossed.

Which - for my money - is what happened here.

What is the "mainstream form" of Islam for American Muslims? Please describe it.

If they were there to make a point that Muslims are violent....They didn't
If they wanted to make a point about religious intolerance .....They did, but not the point they wanted to make
Yeppers...

Welcome to a long American tradition, denouncing the religion of the other guy.

In a nation founded on religious freedom we have a long tradition of "my religion is better than your religion"

Fully support the activity last night. Until we show how some Muslims are so irrational and prone to violence by deliberately provoking them we can never have an honest discussion about the lunacy of ALL religions.

If you react violently because some dare make fun of your imaginary friends GFY.

While the group in question may well be a bigoted hate-group, that doesn't take away from their point. Nor does it invalidate it. Islam is the only major reliigon right now where if you mock it, some tend to get violent. If we need to hold up why religion is screwed up and dangerous by poking Islam and mocking mighty Mo' so be it.

Forum List

Back