Modern day liberalism is a lie

Apr 17, 2011
The correct range of liberalism is anarchy to Jefferson's Nightwatchman. However, this is not the current view. Modern day liberals are Hamiltons, in which the economic powers are best served in the industrial and banking elite whom have close ties in our democracy.

Modern day liberals are statists who believe in crony capitalism, handing out bonuses to the bankers who screwed us over, industry favoritism, and the MIC. If you don't believe me, then look no further than our current administration.

Modern day liberals are not liberal at all. They are liars, control freaks, and opportunists. They have no coherent philosophy of liberalism, except to expand the state and pay off their buddies.

I thought modern day liberals encompassed everyone who disagrees with any of the right wing talking points du jour.

Modern day conservatism is the political codification of selfishness.

• Banned
The whole left-right paradigm is false, yet people still play it. For example, the revival of liberalism in America began with Goldwater, not FDR.

The correct range of liberalism is anarchy to Jefferson's Nightwatchman. However, this is not the current view. Modern day liberals are Hamiltons, in which the economic powers are best served in the industrial and banking elite whom have close ties in our democracy.

Modern day liberals are statists who believe in crony capitalism, handing out bonuses to the bankers who screwed us over, industry favoritism, and the MIC. If you don't believe me, then look no further than our current administration.

Modern day liberals are not liberal at all. They are liars, control freaks, and opportunists. They have no coherent philosophy of liberalism, except to expand the state and pay off their buddies.

Liberal is as liberal does.

Same for conservative.

Who are YOUR heros, lad?

Why this nonsensical political opinion is in the Writing section is beyond me. Ask the mods to move it, I have.

But since it remains here, I'll add a quotation and links to a few articles for others to learn a bit about liberalism and conservatism as they are defined in modern America parlance. Under links is a piece I wrote long ago on how you too can be a liberal. While I am slowly becoming more ..... it still works.

"Ideas have power – as long as they are not frozen in doctrine. But ideas need legs. The eight-hour day, the minimum wage, the conservation of natural resources and the protection of our air, water, and land, women's rights and civil rights, free trade unions, Social Security and a civil service based on merit – all these were launched as citizen's movements and won the endorsement of the political class only after long struggles and in the face of bitter opposition and sneering attacks. It's just a fact: Democracy doesn't work without citizen activism and participation, starting at the community. Trickle down politics doesn't work much better than trickle down economics. It's also a fact that civilization happens because we don't leave things to other people. What's right and good doesn't come naturally. You have to stand up and fight for it – as if the cause depends on you, because it does. Allow yourself that conceit - to believe that the flame of democracy will never go out as long as there's one candle in your hand." This is Your Story - The Progressive Story of America. Pass It On.

What it means to be a liberal - Chicago Tribune

A Short History of Conservative Obstruction to Progress | Conceptual Guerilla

What Is Conservatism and What Is Wrong with It?

The Regressive Antidote - If Conservatism Is The Ideology of Freedom, I'm The Queen of England

Jonathan Haidt on the moral roots of liberals and conservatives | Video on TED.com

Conservatism explained. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Rhetoric-Reaction-Perversity-Futility-Jeopardy/dp/067476868X/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8[/ame]

The Political Brain by Drew Westen

"Ideally citizens are to think of themselves as if they were legislators and ask themselves what statutes, supported by what reasons satisfying the criterion of reciprocity, they would think is most reasonable to enact." John Rawls

====== Repost ======

---------------------------------------- You too can be a Liberal ----------------------------------

You must first know empathy, this is not really hard, anyone who has survived a few years of school can understand what this means. Look at it this way, that other person shares the same world and has the same concerns as you, so instead of finding flaws look for similarities.

Religion is not the sole province of conservatives. Liberals recognize that Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, and free thinkers have their beliefs too. Respect all, you could have been born into a Zen family.

Church and state, work and leisure. Some things are better separated, worship however you want but be aware that not everyone shares your beliefs. Respect that.

Taxes are not bad. Consider all the infrastructure you use in a single day and consider how that came to be and you will soon understand that, darn, my taxes are doing good things. When you visit a library or museum, enjoy them, this is part of your taxes. Say hi to that cop or fireman too.

Education does not mean filling a child's head with an adult's hang ups. Believe it or not education is to help you understand, to be able to read and compute, and to reason. It is not simply to repeat pious platitudes and tired cliches. Support it fully and thank that teacher who pushed you, who challenged you. That is where progress and civility take hold.

Saying you are moral doesn't count as being moral. Be moral by backing programs that support people, vote for people whose platform is not simply to reduce taxes but want to do something positive. If any politician says I am going to reduce your taxes study the other candidate closely.

Dissent. Recognize that heroes are often dissenters. It is why we fight, it is why we are Americans. Listen to that dissent and see if you can understand why it may be valid. Debate is healthy. Love your country but do not love it so much you lose the ability to say something is wrong.

Courts and law are keys to justice, without them we have anarchy.

Corporations are just like people, People are generally motivated by self interest. Recognize that. When that self interest cheats and robs and steals that is dishonest, doesn't matter whether it is a person or a corporation.

Regulation. See above, people are motivated by self interest in most things. Do you lock your doors, do you lock your car, think of regulation as locks against the greed of some.

Economy. Think long term, get away from get rich quick schemes. We are in this together if that person works, I can work if that person spends I can spend. Buy American if you can and support unions and workers rights.

Be aware that you are part of many people, of much history, of a time, and that we are all related. We all know hope and fear and we all try.

Personalization. Because you did it doesn't mean everyone can do it. Because you are lucky enough to be born in a certain place, or to be smart, or to be connected, are things we often take for granted. Think of them.

Life isn't one issue. Be aware of the whole picture, remember whenever you make a decision you need to weigh carefully what it means to all. Balance is important. Few things are black or white, most issues are somewhere closer to the middle of the spectrum.

Work hard but respect that others may need your time too.

Reading is a good thing. Fiction is not unreal, it can actually be more real than the sequential experience of life. Albert Camus and Feodor Dostoevsky were favorites of mine. Check out Invisible Man. Read James Baldwin a Gay writer. Read some plays start with Arthur Miller. In non fiction read Howard Zinn, Peter Singer, Jefferey Sachs, Peter Watson ....

Core principles matter, the work started by FDR and continued through LBJ matters, we were and are a civilized and better society because we reached for fairness. Don't forget those core principles of individual freedom, of taking care of others, of working to make things better for all.

Do this some morning. Wake up and be happy. No matter what the weather, be glad to be alive. Thank liberal thinking for your free society, safe streets and clean air. Read a poem write a poem. Maybe you can leave it for a loved one. Make coffee, tea. Breath the air deeply and say, "darn, being a liberal has freed me, if I see a bum today I will treat them to lunch, I will even talk to them, I am finally free of conservatism." And pray too if you do that.

good luck

Last edited:

Forum List

Back