modern day crucifiction

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Avatar4321, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
  2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I never could understand how a Christian, who has the Holy Spirit in them, could be accused of being possessed by a demon.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    Christ was. And i know none of us are greater than He is.

4. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Let me rephrase that...

I never could understand how a Christian, who has the Holy Spirit in them, could logically be accused of being possessed by a demon.

5. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Jeff it happens and not just in movies, people leave themselves open to demonic attack sometimes without even realizing it. It is very RARE but also possible. That said..what these people did to this poor nun is a disgrace, true exorcisms are not about stuffing towels and cruelty, they are about careful psychological testing first and foremost by priests that have their Phd's in Psychology, then if the findings are truly demonic attack, prayer, blessings, and fasting by very holy and loving priests that are trained specifically to do this happen.

This horrible incident just gives all non believers more fodder for ridicule.....

6. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    But my question remains. Follow me here.

1. A Christian is indwelled by the Holy Spirit. (see 1 Corinthians 6:19)

2. Demon possession entails a demon indwelling a person. (see Matthew 17:14-18)

3. God is greater than the devil and his demons (see 1 John 4:4).

Therefore, if the Holy Spirit is already indwelling in a person, it is not possible for a demon to simultaneously possess that same person.

7. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Your question makes the assumption that those who become possessed indeed have the holy spirit in them pretecting them in the first place.

Many people just by virtue of daily sins remove God's protection, and may not even realize it, or if they have an over curiosity to things preto-natural they can leave themselves open. Which is why in my church we are taught to pray everyday for protection by saying rosaries, Chaplets of Mercy, also to recieve the sacrament of penance, and finally the host every week as the most potent form of protection. But again that is a perspective from my faith and yours may be different, but I do think the gist is the same.

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I would debate that - I don't think it's possible to remove ourselves, especially unknowingly from God's protection/Blessing/Favor. I'm unable to explain it much more than by this example:

I'm driving my car down the road. I see a space-ship in front of me. The ship launches a missile at me. Just before impact, I utter a 'God damn it!'. Assuming, for sake of argument, using that phrase is 'sin'. I think it's inconceivable I'd enter anyplace, after death, except wherever Christ is (Heaven, or wherever).

Re: left open for attack...
    Generally, we are tempted by our flesh; not by demons. It's best to 'cling' to God's word, and surround ourselves with things of Him to prevent our fleshly temptations (be them drink, lust, lying, Democrat-Voting-For) from gaining ground. I do agree Christians - even true Christians who "have a clue" - can be open to demonic 'oppression' . But like Jeff, I believe it's 100% impossible for a Christian to be 'possessed'.

9. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Oh - and those who Accept Christ have The Holy Spirit - as God and Christ and THS are inseperable.

10. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Yes - I am talking specifically about Christians. I do not doubt that a non-Christian could become demon-possessed. I'm claiming that Christians, by virtue of the Holy Spirit, cannot become demon-possessed.