Moderators: Question re: the "more options" button

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
Periodically, I click on the "more options" button so I can use the "preview" functionality to confirm that the layout of my post is essentially as I intended it to be. (plenty of times, of course, I don't bother to do that) On occasion, after clicking on it, I get the following message,

upload_2017-8-30_14-5-49.png

I have no idea what causes that message to appear, but also know I haven't implemented any code for the page. I have yet to try clicking on the homepage because I don't want to risk losing the content I've typed.

Perhaps one of you has some useful input or can undertake a relevant code amendment?

Periodically, I click on the "more options" button so I can use the "preview" functionality to confirm that the layout of my post is essentially as I intended it to be. (plenty of times, of course, I don't bother to do that) On occasion, after clicking on it, I get the following message,

I have no idea what causes that message to appear, but also know I haven't implemented any code for the page. I have yet to try clicking on the homepage because I don't want to risk losing the content I've typed.

Perhaps one of you has some useful input or can undertake a relevant code amendment?

That's not good. It may be performance related. Since the page is not yet actually created and if the system is in a jerky mood, might not have finished creating the "draft". I'd spend a minute to proof before hitting preview if the system is slow.

If I saw that message, I'd hit the "back" browser button and post the content immediately, just to make certain it's not lost. Or at least copy it out to the notepad.

Xenforo has extraordinarily great caching. SOOOO great in fact, it bugs me. Because I can start to compose a Mod Message in a thread, change my mind, go 3 other places, and when I RETURN to that thread 20 minutes later -- the reply is STILL in the composition box. Actually hard to lose content in composition -- IF you return to the SAME PAGE where you were composing it.

For a new thread tho -- there is no "page" created yet tho. I'll start playing with the Preview button and see if I get similar "bad" results.

If I saw that message, I'd hit the "back" browser button and post the content immediately, just to make certain it's not lost. Or at least copy it out to the notepad.
I hit "back" and the content is still in the "basic" window. I just have to "get over" the preview function. Maybe Xenforo can't "transfer" to the more options window the "tomes" I sometimes post?

Oh, FWIW, I've noticed that it happens when I start a post, leave it unfinished and don't close the window, an then come back to it hours later. I've noticed there's some sort of 4:00 a.m.-ish "thing" that returns a "bad gateway" message. Often enough, though I cannot say how often, the "preview" problem happens when the post began prior to 4 a.m. and my first attempt to preview occurs sometime after it. That is definitely the sequence of events applicable to the message shown in the OP. (I think the post that effected the error message was this one: Have You Heard About the new Ku Ku Klan?)

I had it happen again today. Once with a post I started composing, stopped composing and then resumed composing. It didn't happen on a post that was long-ish and that I wrote "straight through."

That's not good. It may be performance related. Since the page is not yet actually created and if the system is in a jerky mood, might not have finished creating the "draft". I'd spend a minute to proof before hitting preview if the system is slow.

Xenforo has extraordinarily great caching. SOOOO great in fact, it bugs me. Because I can start to compose a Mod Message in a thread, change my mind, go 3 other places, and when I RETURN to that thread 20 minutes later -- the reply is STILL in the composition box. Actually hard to lose content in composition -- IF you return to the SAME PAGE where you were composing it.

For a new thread tho -- there is no "page" created yet tho. I'll start playing with the Preview button and see if I get similar "bad" results.
Hmm...That's interesting. I've actually left the thread and returned hours later and the composed reply is still sitting there waiting for Me.

Hmm...That's interesting. I've actually left the thread and returned hours later and the composed reply is still sitting there waiting for Me.
The issue isn't the content disappearing. The issue is the non-functioning of the "More Options" button.

TY all the same for offering your input. I appreciate your being willing to offer assistance.

The issue isn't the content disappearing. The issue is the non-functioning of the "More Options" button.

TY all the same for offering your input. I appreciate your being willing to offer assistance.
It has never worked for Me. It works well in vBulletin. The powers that be decided to go to this software.

Forum List

Back