Moderation is the key to happiness

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
While "spring cleaning" around my office (which included mountains of paperwork), I found this clipping from a 1989 Ann Landers column.

"Dad died on February 12. While putting his affairs in order, we found a letter in his desk that he had written to you but never mailed. As I read it over, I thought many of the things he said were true.

"God love him. He had signs all over the house saying NO SMOKING. They were in every room and in the car. He refused to go to a restaurant that didn't have restricted areas for smokers. He was constantly telling everyone what was 'good' for them. Some of his friends got tired of it and told him off.

"Dad was such a good man you couldn't help but love him, but because of the way he lived, I am determined to enjoy life and skip the crusading. In fact, I'm going to fix myself a drink right now. But before I do, I'm putting Dad's letter in the mail."

Dear Ann Landers: I, like you, never smoked a cigarette in my life or had anything alcoholic to drink. In fact, I've been known as a 'health nut.' I ate all the right foods, no salt, no grease, no junk. I drank only bottled water. I ate bran regularly and took vitamins.

After a lifetime of crusading and being an obnoxious jerk about smoking and drinking, I now have cancer and Parkinson's and the doctor tells me I have three months to live. I am 57 years old.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I had drunk a bit, smoked a bit, and had enjoyed more good times. My advice is as follows: Use moderation in everything you do. Don't be rigid. Enjoy life. And stay off the soapbox. Every one of those know-it-alls will die from something sooner or later. It's not the length of your life that counts, it's he quality. If I had known 35 years ago what I know now, I would have lived differently and not been such a crusader.
~~B.A.

Finding that middle ground between rigid denial of simple pleasures and overindulgence is what works, although I can't say I've always practiced what I'm preaching.

Maggie's correct. That Ann Lander's column is one of her most famous; and I remember reading it when it was first published, and have quoted it myself from time to time.

The advice is quite sound.

excess.jpg

Like Lazarus Long said in Robert A. Heinlein's book "Time Enough for Love"..........

"Everything to excess, moderation is for monks".

It isn't moderation I think we're after here though. Sometimes moderation is not the way to go and passion and dedication and commitment about some things is what makes us happy. Moderation isn't the goal but keeping things in perspective and doing what's right for us instead of presuming to know what is best for everybody else.

Ann Landers' points are similar to those famous last words Erma Bomback left us with:

If I had my life to live over. . . .

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren’t there for the day.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the “good” living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have sat on the lawn with my children and not worried about grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television, and more while watching life.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn’t show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I’d have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, “Later. Now go get washed up for dinner.”

There would have been more “I love you’s.” More “I’m sorry’s.”

But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute… look at it and really see it… live it… and never give it back.

Stop sweating the small stuff. Don’t worry about who doesn’t like you, who has more, or who’s doing what.

Instead, let’s cherish the relationships we have with those who DO love us.

Let’s think about what God HAS blessed us with.

And what we are doing each day to promote ourselves mentally, physically, emotionally, as well as spiritually.

Life is too short to let it pass you by.

We only have one shot at this and then it’s gone.

I hope you all have a blessed day.

Good thing we clearly seperate church and state.

That has nothing to do with how we live our personal lives.

Got a broom handle up your ass today or something?

Today? Anytime he sees me, if it's not already up there, it soon is. It's a mystery why he goes into attack mode with me. Perhaps you could ask.

Me ask? Nope. He just wants to PM about naked women and squiddy things.

Forum List

Back