Model Minority Stereotype

Yes, Asians are successful despite the system discriminating against them in terms of educational and employment opportunities.

....... And yes, blacks are still unsuccessful despite receiving every possible advantage over everybody else in that same regard.

It's time this died too. I'm tired if these Asians here acting smug while they do the racists bidding for them. If they get what they want happens your just as out as we are.

Why Do We Call Asian Americans The Model Minority?

You peeps should be more like Asians: stay in school and stfu.

Yes, Asians are successful despite the system discriminating against them in terms of educational and employment opportunities.

....... And yes, blacks are still unsuccessful despite receiving every possible advantage over everybody else in that same regard.

Every possible advantage, is it? :p

Just keep reading how this stereotype is perpetuated and by who.

It's time this died too. I'm tired if these Asians here acting smug while they do the racists bidding for them. If they get what they want happens your just as out as we are.

You peeps should be more like Asians: stay in school and stfu.

Another person perpetuating the model Asian myth.

Yes.

It's called "Affirmative action". I'm surprised that you have not heard of it.

Yes.

It's called "Affirmative action". I'm surprised that you have not heard of it.

Oh, I've heard of affirmative action. That isn't the same thing as "every possible advantage" over everybody else, however. I'm surprised you do not realize that.

I never heard that phrase before, but living here in California I've known a few Chinese people and that conversation had come up before, though only fleetingly.... it was their opinion that white people tend to be more lazy while "Chinese" tend to work harder in school and be smarter because of it. reason? because their parents forced them to. This is about culture , not race. The sample size may be small here in my experience, but I've heard the same exact thing from my Korean sister n law.
I think a lot of these phrases are made up and regurgitated more in academia than anywhere else for some reason

The young whippersnappers in this thread may not know this, but we elderly people definitely remember when Asians (specifically, Chinese and Japanese) were referred to as the model minority.

There were many reasons, a few of which were:

1. There were very few Asians (because of tough immigration laws) before World War II (although California did have 100,000 Japanese-Americans and Japanese nationals).

2. They were docile. They did not campaign for "civil rights." (Those 100, 000 Japanese just let themselves be sent to detention camps after Pearl Harbor.)

a. Because there were so few, they were often considered honorary Caucasians. That is, they were allowed into many hotels and restaurants. (In the South, they were considered honorary Caucasians.)

3. A few were allowed to live in Caucasian neighborhoods. (Because there were so few at that time, the neighbors did not fear being overrun by them.) Most, however, were told to their face that they could not move into certain neighborhoods. They just accepted it.

4. Then, as now, Caucasians did not fear them, for they seldom committed any violent acts against Caucasians.

5. Teachers loved them, for they were studious and obedient. They were never defiant or violent.

6. Employers loved them, for they worked hard and did not talk back or try to slack off. (Of course, most jobs were closed to them, so they had to start their own businesses.)

7. Motion pictures often showed them in a good light. Remember the wise and clever Charlie Chan?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back