Mobility in America.

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
Americans are by far THE most mobile people in history. Most of us have the means get from one coast to the other in a matter hours or days using various combinations of public, commercial and/or private transportation and infrastructure built and owned by We, The People.

Government is an integral part of that transportation network, and failure to address our outdated and crumbling publicly owned infrastructure will result in America falling behind our competitors economically. While we prepare to spend $2 billion + electing our next president, China and our other competitors are busy building infrastructure designed to get and keep their people moving.

If we don't start taking our competition seriously soon, we'll loose this game. Well, our kids will be the losers, righteously cussing us for generations.

I can agree with that. I've always thought roads were included, along with military, police, fire dept, in the few true roles of government.

And as much as the right likes to make fun of light rail.....many cities would benefit if we had the money and did it. Charleston, SC, my town, would GREATLY benefit from it. The city is on a big peninsula, and shaped literally like a mushroom, with the "stem"/peninsula being way too crowded with cars and lack of parking. Sure, drive SUVS all over the mushroom, but a subway/rail type transport downtown from the outer hubs would be awesome.

Imagine New York City if the people living there in the 1800's did not have the vision and political will to build the public transportation system that made the city what it is today.

Right now a substantial portion of the worlds food supply comes from an area in southern California made fertile by public works projects that brought water to the desert. How much of California's economy was created out of thin air by just that one vision that received backing by public money?

Mobility, like water, farmland, ore etc is a resource. The private sector is not in a postition to handle infrustructure or public transport like Sam. The benefits of maintaining far outweigh the cost. Good thread.

We have more roads, bridges, highways, airports, etc. in America than ever before.

Much more mobile now than our 'heyday' v. China, whom you say is surpassing us because our roads are crumbling.

update87_driversandcars.JPG

Yes, we need to maintain them, and there are problem spots, but the notion that our transportation systems are failing is largely bullshit.

Last edited:
Imagine New York City if the people living there in the 1800's did not have the vision and political will to build the public transportation system that made the city what it is today.

Right now a substantial portion of the worlds food supply comes from an area in southern California made fertile by public works projects that brought water to the desert. How much of California's economy was created out of thin air by just that one vision that received backing by public money?

And how many idiots read headlines about spending money, or denying projects, in order to preserve certain bugs & fish - - - - - - and get all mad and calling people idiots.....

before they actually study, and learn that certain said bugs and fish are necessary to keep said lands / waters fertile for growth..........

People are idiots.

Taxing the rich is the best solution.

I disagree. The long term solution is fair and simple taxes levied against ALL participants in the economy, public budgets that are balanced by firm law and transparency in all things politics.

Then and only then can we build an economy that our children can drive to the stars.

:smoke: It ain't rocket science.

Taxing the rich is the best solution.

I figured that is where this thread was heading.

That's not the direction I want it to go.

I would prefer to discuss the insanity of spending two to five Billion dollars every election cycle just to seat a government while our competitors over seas are investing in their people and their economies.

We're lookin' pretty stupid from space, compared with our neighbors...

And how many idiots read headlines about spending money, or denying projects, in order to preserve certain bugs & fish - - - - - - and get all mad and calling people idiots.....

before they actually study, and learn that certain said bugs and fish are necessary to keep said lands / waters fertile for growth..........

People are idiots.

People aren't idiots - they're greedy... and our current system rewards those who ask "What's in it for ME ME ME over the next quarter year?" instead of the more pragmatic "What's in it for my community over the next 4 generations?"

The problem with unregulated capitalism is that it focuses so much on the short term and not on the next generation.

The freedom for any given individual to focus on their current issues needs to be balanced by leadership focused on the next 50 years.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos

Forum List

Back