MN voters back voter-ID amendment 76/18 HUH guess the state must be full of Tea party

I support voter ID. I support a right thumb live scan at the time of the vote and an inked print anytime someone uses a credit care, writes a check or travels by commerical airlines.

I have never been fingerprinted and never will be without brute force.

You mean you wont submit your DNA for the greater good of humanity?

You got something to hide man? :lol:

Realistically I'd never give up my DNA, too late for the finger prints tho.

People.....or maybe the left needs to rethink its stand on this issue.

How can anyone be against voter ID? you have to have ID when you drive a car you have to have ID when you have purchase alcohol or get your drivers license so why not when you vote?

MN voters back voter-ID amendment 76/18
Share64
posted at 8:43 am on May 27, 2011 by Ed Morrissey
printer-friendly

Mark Dayton vetoed a new voter-ID bill in Minnesota because he said it lacked “broad bipartisan legislative support.” Perhaps he should have considered what the people of Minnesota thought rather than his coterie of DFL party hacks in St. Paul. A new poll conducted by Survey USA puts Dayton squarely in the 18% fringe of Minnesota politics:

Governor Mark Dayton vetoed the voter ID bill saying it lacked “broad legislative bipartisan” support. …

According to our exclusive new SurveyUSA poll, 76% of Minnesotans say they’d vote in favor of voter ID. Only 18% oppose the idea.

Well, a 76% support level is hardly bipartisan, is it? Why, it’s only the crazed Tea Party wingnuts that really support voter ID requirements, right? Not exactly. Let’s take a look at the internals, shall we?

Age demographics – The lowest level of support in age groups comes from seniors, who back voter ID 69/23. The best support comes, surprisingly, from the youngest voters (18-34YOs) at 82/12.
Party affiliation – Yes, 92% of Republicans support voter ID. So do 76% of independents … and 59% of those wingnutty Democrats in Minnesota, too. Among Tea Party “members,” voter ID enjoys 93% support. And for those who don’t identify with the Tea Party, support plummets all the way to … 74%. Along ideological lines, liberals were least likely to support it — at 67%, the second-lowest level of support among all demographics.
Education – Surely, support must be coming from the mouthbreathers, right? High-school graduates give a 79% level of support, almost the same as the 78% among those with some college education. Those with degrees are a little more discerning … at 75%.
Income level – It won’t be much of a surprise to know that those making six figures support voter ID 73/25. It will be a surprise to Dayton to find that those making less than $50K per year support it even more, 78/14.
Region – Like all of the other demographics, there isn’t much difference between the Twin Cities demo (76/19) and the rural area of western Minnesota (81/15). In each region, support is at 75% or higher.

Dayton may think that voter ID doesn’t have broad bipartisan support, but that’s because Dayton doesn’t get out of the mansion much. All he knows is what he hears from the entrenched DFL party machine, which fears voter ID as an end to their opportunities to manipulate elections. After years of Election Day shenanigans, even two-thirds of self-described liberals have had enough.

And if that’s true in Minnesota, just imagine how voters feel in areas outside of the “progressive” Midwest.

Addendum: Survey USA’s big takeaway from the poll is that Tim Pawlenty trails Barack Obama by five points in a hypothetical head-to-head match. Pawlenty just started running, so that’s hardly unexpected. It will only be a big problem for Pawlenty if he doesn’t eventually close that gap. It’s worth remembering, though, that Obama won Minnesota by twice that gap in 2008 over John McCain, who was supposed to be pretty popular in this state.

Because liberals need the fraudulent vote of illegals and those who register their pets to vote democrat.

In an honest election the democrats would never win..

Voter fraud is a staple of the democratic party..

We have a problem here in Illinois (especially Chicago) with dead people voting democrat...

We have another problem with precinct captains allowing dishonest people vote several times under registered pseudonyms... Again - liberal.

At least in my district they ask to see an ID before you vote.

I hate to get carded but thats one time I enjoy being carded.

You should have to present an ID to vote...

Voter fraud has become so blatant that of course there was going to be blow back which is the reason that we are now seeing many states taking up the same law's.

I support voter ID. I support a right thumb live scan at the time of the vote and an inked print anytime someone uses a credit care, writes a check or travels by commerical airlines.

I have never been fingerprinted and never will be without brute force.

My prints are on file in more offices around the world than I care to think about.

You shouldn't have to give a finger print to vote - but you should have to present an ID.

As a libertarian I find the fingerprint bullshit intrusive. Besides who knows what the government will do with your fingerprints. They could put that shit in a database and some person could get killed in public in a place where you have been and then you got cops arresting you for murder all because you happened to be at the scene at some point..

Then you got innocent people going to prison for shit they didn't do, all because they're a registered voter.

No way with the fingerprints.

The only issue I potentially have with ID's for voting is the requirements to get the ID.

For example, here in GA, in order to get a driver's license or state ID, one needs to provide proof of where you live. Ok, sounds fine....but the acceptable forms of proof are all related to money. Bank statement, utility bill, tax return, etc. If showing a GA state ID is a requirement to vote, does that mean that GA now limits voters to those with money? I currently still have my FL ID and do not have the financial proof required to obtain the GA ID. I have my birth certificate, SS#, a currently still valid FL ID, the post office has my GA residence as my current residence, I've received mail here, but because it is not financial in nature, it apparently does not count. I am a US citizen, never convicted of any crime, doing nothing illegal, but cannot obtain a state ID.

If you support ID voter laws you support stripping legal American voters of the right to vote.

You support spending tax dollars on un needed laws which study after study shows will keep legal American voters from voting.

There has been NO study that shows any fraud such as claimed by the propoenents of this law claim it will fix.

I don't agreee with this either, but you know what? Rhode Island passed a voter ID law, too. RHODE ISLAND. It looks like, for better or worse, this is gonna be the wave of the future.

It looks like energy would be better spent helping low-income voters get the IDs and whatever else they need.

The only issue I potentially have with ID's for voting is the requirements to get the ID.

For example, here in GA, in order to get a driver's license or state ID, one needs to provide proof of where you live. Ok, sounds fine....but the acceptable forms of proof are all related to money. Bank statement, utility bill, tax return, etc. If showing a GA state ID is a requirement to vote, does that mean that GA now limits voters to those with money? I currently still have my FL ID and do not have the financial proof required to obtain the GA ID. I have my birth certificate, SS#, a currently still valid FL ID, the post office has my GA residence as my current residence, I've received mail here, but because it is not financial in nature, it apparently does not count. I am a US citizen, never convicted of any crime, doing nothing illegal, but cannot obtain a state ID.

Which party do you think the people who would have trouble getting that ID tend to vote more often for?

Hint: it's not the GOP.

Actually, that is not true, if you are a resident of Georgia and have been for 30-days or more, you are doing something illegal. Check the Georgia Code:

"TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 5. DRIVERS' LICENSES
ARTICLE 2. ISSUANCE, EXPIRATION, AND RENEWAL OF LICENSES

O.C.G.A. § 40-5-20 (2011)

§ 40-5-20. License required; surrender of prior licenses; local licenses prohibited

(a) No person, except those expressly exempted in this chapter, shall drive any motor vehicle upon a highway in this state unless such person has a valid driver's license under this chapter for the type or class of vehicle being driven. Any person who is a resident of this state for 30 days shall obtain a Georgia driver's license before operating a motor vehicle in this state. Any violation of this subsection shall be punished as provided in Code Section 40-5-121, except the violation of driving with an expired license, or a violation of Code Section 40-5-29 or if such person produces in court a valid driver's license issued by this state to such person, he or she shall not be guilty of such offenses. Any court having jurisdiction over traffic offenses in this state shall report to the department the name and other identifying information of any individual convicted of driving without a license."​

Also the Georgia Drivers Manual (PDF Page 26):

"New Georgia Residents
General Information
You must apply for a Georgia driver’s license or permit within 30 days of becoming a Georgia resident if you wish to drive upon the highways of this state. Please see pages 12-13 for more information about requirements to obtain a license or permit and exemptions for certain individuals."​

If you have a residence, your lease agreement is proof of residence. If you are going to school you can provide a school record.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/docs/forms/FullDriversManual.pdf

>>>>>

Last edited:

Forum List

Back