Mmmmm...Blueberries

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
Well, the drought has finally been broken in the Wisco northwoods.

Blueberries popped out on the back 40!

Did my best impression of an illeg...er...."undocumented worker" yesterday and momma made nummy blueberry pancakes and syrup for breakfast.

Thank you very much.

ours will not be ready for a few weeks....

maine is blueberry capital i believe? seems like it anyway!

Actually I think New Jersey is the blueberry capital of the world. (although Maine might be the lowbush blueberry capital, I'm not sure about that)

New Jersey is also the cranberry capital, incidently.

Bet you thought (as I did) that it was in Massachusetts, didn't you?

They didn't name it the GARDEN STATE for nothing, ya know.

Maines primary export is poor kids trying to find work, I think.

Been that way for years, actually.

Actually I think New Jersey is the blueberry capital of the world. (although Maine might be the lowbush blueberry capital, I'm not sure about that)

I agree. I believe that NJ is leading producer of large berry cultivated blueberries...but those big berries lack flavor.

Read this NOW.

fyi! just looked it up! low bush blueberry is considered wild blueberry i think? anyway...maine IS numero uno in the world's blueberries.

Economy
Maine State Quarter.
Bath Iron Works naval shipbuilding.

The Bureau of Economic Analysis estimates that Maine's total gross state product for 2007 was US$48 billion.[22] Its per capita personal income for 2007 was US$33,991, 34th in the nation. As of January 2010, Maine's unemployment rate is 8.2%.[23]

Maine's agricultural outputs include poultry, eggs, dairy products, cattle, wild blueberries (the state produces 25% of all blueberries in North America, making it the largest blueberry producer in the world), apples, maple syrup and maple sugar. Aroostook County is known for its potato crops. Commercial fishing, once a mainstay of the state's economy, maintains a presence, particularly lobstering and groundfishing. Western Maine aquifers and springs are a major source of bottled water.

Maine's industrial outputs consist chiefly of paper, lumber and wood products, electronic equipment, leather products, food products, textiles, and bio-technology. Naval shipbuilding and construction remain key as well, with Bath Iron Works in Bath and Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery. Naval Air Station Brunswick is also in Maine, and serves as a large support base for the U.S. Navy. However, the BRAC campaign recommended Brunswick's closing, despite a recent government-funded effort to upgrade its facilities.

Maine is the number one exporter of blueberries and toothpicks.
The largest toothpick manufacturing plant in the United States is located in Strong, Maine. The Strong Wood Products Incorporated plant produces twenty million toothpicks a day.[24]

Tourism and outdoor recreation play a major and increasingly important role in Maine's economy. The state is a popular destination for sport hunting (particularly deer, moose and bear), sport fishing, snowmobiling, skiing, boating, camping and hiking, among other activities.

Maine ports play a key role in national transportation. Beginning around 1880, Portland's rail link and ice-free port made it Canada's principal winter port, until the aggressive development of Halifax, Nova Scotia, in the mid-1900s. In 2001, Maine's largest city of Portland surpassed Boston as New England's busiest port (by tonnage), due to its ability to handle large tankers. Maine's Portland International Jetport was recently expanded, providing the state with increased air traffic from carriers such as JetBlue.

Pix?...You want pix?

Well, even though the blueberry safari is fraught with danger, I managed to snap off a few.

berryu.jpg

The scrumptious berries, menacingly guarded by a sprig of poison ivy.

tickr.jpg

A not-at-all rare glimpse of the un-endangered saber-toothed wood tick, which infests the berry range.

pooa.jpg

Hmmm...Looks like the bears like the blueberries, too.

bikebp.jpg

Now, who else but I would pose a bucket of blueberries, on the world famous CB750, with a tee shirt form SuperFly paragliding?

muskecropped.jpg

While I'm at it with documenting outdoor adventure in the northwoods, here's the muskie I bagged last week.

Forum List

Back