MM shut out at oscar nominations

Does this imply that Hollywood is afraid of the "right-wingers"? All we heard for months was what a great picture Moore had made, but when it came time to nominate it for an award, there were no takers, either as best picture or as best documentary. So much for the genius of Michael Moore.

Hollywood felt snubbed when he chose the People's Awards over some other award ceremony. This is to "punish" him for going for the cheap award over the one they think had "substance".

Either way, the Oscars only cement in my head the idea that rich people can be losers and white trash too. Sometimes even more so than the poor.

Well, at any rate, Mel Gibson's talent got recognized. I guess if they want people to take the Oscars seriously, they had to give the nod to Mel's creativity in a few cases.

Well, at any rate, Mel Gibson's talent got recognized. I guess if they want people to take the Oscars seriously, they had to give the nod to Mel's creativity in a few cases.

But, all the Passion got nominated for was Best Cinematography, Best Makeup, and Best Original Score, none of which Gibson had anything to do with.

I hate that it's always two or three movies are nominated for everything every time. Oh, well, all the Oscars are is Hollywood patting itself on the back. I'll have to wait for the Independent Spirit awards to see some great movies get nominated.

Dan said:
But, all the Passion got nominated for was Best Cinematography, Best Makeup, and Best Original Score, none of which Gibson had anything to do with.
I'm surprised it got nominated for anything.

Dan said:
Me, too.

Shaun of the Dead should've gotten Best Picture. :tng:
Haven't seen it but am told it was real good. Know they've talked about it here, too. I'm not a horror film fan, tho'. I get too freaked out.

Whoops! I only said that, because I thought you were the one who thought it sucked. My bad.

Anyway, you should check it out, it's not that much of a horror movie, there is a pretty good amount of gore but it's almost always played for laughs and none of it is too realistic anyway. There's a little bit of heaviness near the end, but I don't think it would disturb you. I'd say check it out, it is a comedy first and foremost.

Joz said:
I'm surprised it got nominated for anything.

The Jewish community had made their positions on "Fahrenheit 911" and "The Passion of the Christ", very clear; they hated what both pictures had represented! If they truly run Hollywood, you knew what was coming and therefore was not suprised.

I'm very proud of the peoples choice awards and the golden globes; they allow some people, outside of a selected few, to decide for themselves.

This snubbing is nothing more but another black eye on Academy Awards.

:bsflag:

Dan said:

The whole film showcased Mel's talent and creativity. Of course, he hires professionals to take care of certain aspects, but you can be sure with Mel in charge those are the best professionals in the market. The way I see it, by nominating "The Passion of the Christ" in any category, they are recognizing Mel for making a movie worthy of recognition. We all know Mel's movie should have been recognized in more categories than just those three, but it is ultra-liberal Hollywood, you know, doing the recognizing.

But, don't you think it's a little unfair to the cinematographer, composer, and makeup people to see their nominations as "recognizing Mel's talent"? They deserve credit, too.

Their talents are being recognized with an Oscar nomination, which Mel Gibson made possible by hiring them to do a job in his movie. How is that unfair to either them or Mel?

Forum List

Back