MLK Jr. Day - The Forgotten Holiday

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
In my neighborhood as I imagine in most others, whenever there is a holiday, trash pick-up gets pushed back a day that week. The trash guys get literally EVERY holiday off, including Veterans Day & Columbus Day. I've been living here for almost a decade and I've consistently observed that for some reason, waaaaay more people forget about MLK Jr. Day than any other holiday and put their trash out a day early. I don't really have anything more to say about it, I just wanted to share my observation. But I do wonder about it every year when I drive down my street and see that roughly half the houses have forget about the holiday.

Do you frequently forget about MLK Jr. Day?

In my neighborhood as I imagine in most others, whenever there is a holiday, trash pick-up gets pushed back a day that week. The trash guys get literally EVERY holiday off, including Veterans Day & Columbus Day. I've been living here for almost a decade and I've consistently observed that for some reason, waaaaay more people forget about MLK Jr. Day than any other holiday and put their trash out a day early. I don't really have anything more to say about it, I just wanted to share my observation. But I do wonder about it every year when I drive down my street and see that roughly half the houses have forget about the holiday.

Of all of the "who could possibly give a shit" holidays, that is certainly one. I bet you take off for kwanza too, that's a "special" holiday for blacks too.

Where I live, I figured of all people, it would be the trash people that took off that day........ they didn't. Of course they're all Mexicans now so why should they give a shit about some two bit hustler's birthday. The trash was picked up on the regular day and because I thought it WAS a holiday, I didn't put mine out.

Words of wisdumb from Shittaro:

Of all of the "who could possibly give a shit" holidays, that is certainly one. I bet you take off for kwanza too, that's a "special" holiday for blacks too.

You haven't answered yet it your avatar is your picture or not?:eusa_whistle:

freedom i s forgotten and often i s the truth is forgotten.people who are the truth are forgotten

Are you saying that MLK day is trash pick-up day?
Quit being racist.

The whole business of trash removal is racist. I mean, people are just free to discriminate about what's "trash" and what's not! Who gave them the right? All things are equal, right? We can't make judgments about this based on simple appearance. And then just cruelly throw it out! That is totally oppressive. Obama should stop this. We need to be accepting of difference, and not so close-minded.

People in my neighborhood tend to put it out, regardless the holiday. They don't bother to check the schedule. My observation is it has more to do with intellectual laziness than any slight against MLK, Jr.

People in my neighborhood tend to put it out, regardless the holiday. They don't bother to check the schedule. My observation is it has more to do with intellectual laziness than any slight against MLK, Jr.

I don't think it's a slight in my neighborhood either, at least not intentional. But on other holidays, you only see one or two that put it out early...even on Columbus Day. But for some reason on MLK Day, it's just about half.

George W. Bush would be particularly likely to forget this holiday—Bush doesn’t care about black people.

Speaking of the Holocaust, George W. Bush does not like Jews. You will read about this in my blog.

I didn't specifically notice, but I would expect that my trash did not get picked up on MLK, Jr. Day. Everything business-related in my apartment was closed as well. You might need to vent.

Martin Luther King made very little actual difference. Things would not be much different today if he'd never been born. I look at the the Martin Luther King Holiday as a nod to Blacks. Basically, there needs to be a holiday honoring a Black man so he was chosen.

Look I know he had a gift for oratory. But, really, if you're offended by what I typed above you need to ask yourself how much difference you honestly think he made. I think that we pretty much would still have had the Civil Rights legislation we had, for better or for worse, without him. He was not by any stretch of the imagination a man who had a great enough impact on history to justify having a national holiday for EXCEPT for the fact that he provides the opportunity for a "Black" holiday.

No. the mail doesn't come on MLK day and when I was working I got the day off. It's not forgotten. What's forgotten is Abraham Lincoln's birthday. Feb 12.

Forum List

Back