MLB 2012 Season

Kershaw is more valuable than anything the Sox could give in return.

Let's trade Loney to Pawtucket, the first baseman there can't be any worse.

Hamilton is amazing but physically damaged. I doubt he will post even half the numbers of a Mickey Mantle, playing injured in a good portion of his career.

Lincecum is going through a spell. How long it continues before the spell becomes a doom curse, I don't know.

Grew up a Yankee fan, moved to the South and could only get Atlanta games on TV, so became a Braves fan. Cable added WGN, so I also became a Cubs fan.

I have always loved baseball, and used to be a real fanatic, until the 1994 strike, and the steroids. Now I am half-interested.

Braves are leading the majors in runs. Would not have expected that.

I am cutting Albert some slack - it takes a while to adjust to a new league. He should be fine, although I think he's an idiot for leaving St. Louis. They revered him, and he left to end up with LESS money, when you factor the huge cost of living differential between St. Louis and L.A. Some economist crunched the numbers when he signed.

Oh, and they will always be the California Angels, Florida Marlins, and Tampa Bay Devil Rays to me, no matter how many times they change their names.

Edit to add: only teams I truly hate are the Boston Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds, L.A. Dodgers, San Francisco Giants.

Last edited:
Kershaw is more valuable than anything the Sox could give in return.

I know....and it makes me sad.

Let's trade Loney to Pawtucket, the first baseman there can't be any worse.

He does us no good. We're locked up at first for the next six years. It's baffling that he has a swing and a build that screams plus .300 and 25 homerun hitter yet he can't deliver.

Hamilton is amazing but physically damaged. I doubt he will post even half the numbers of a Mickey Mantle, playing injured in a good portion of his career.

If Hamilton didn't go thru the whole crackhead phase his name and numbers would be right there with Mantle. I have zero doubt he would have won a triple crown .... or two.
Lincecum is going through a spell.

He fucking better be. My fantasy team needs him to perform.

How long it continues before the spell becomes a doom curse, I don't know.

He's got like three years MAX left in that arm.

First game I saw featured Sandy Koufax striking out 18 Giants, with Mays and Cepeda hitting back to back doubles, a rookie named McCovey hitting the ball 462 feet over the center field fence in the Coliseum, and Wally Moon winning the game for the good guys with a 'moon shot' over the left field screen in the bottom of the 9th.

I was hooked.

Grew up a Yankee fan, moved to the South and could only get Atlanta games on TV, so became a Braves fan. Cable added WGN, so I also became a Cubs fan.

I have always loved baseball, and used to be a real fanatic, until the 1994 strike, and the steroids. Now I am half-interested.

Braves are leading the majors in runs. Would not have expected that.

I am cutting Albert some slack - it takes a while to adjust to a new league. He should be fine, although I think he's an idiot for leaving St. Louis. They revered him, and he left to end up with LESS money, when you factor the huge cost of living differential between St. Louis and L.A. Some economist crunched the numbers when he signed.

Oh, and they will always be the California Angels, Florida Marlins, and Tampa Bay Devil Rays to me, no matter how many times they change their names.

Edit to add: only teams I truly hate are the Boston Red Sox, Cincinnati Reds, L.A. Dodgers, San Francisco Giants.

Pujols leaving St. Louis was a pants on head retarded move.

I cannot understand why he would be The Man that would make St Louse forget San "the man" Musial to go be one of so many stars in southern Cal. No real sense.

First game I saw featured Sandy Koufax striking out 18 Giants, with Mays and Cepeda hitting back to back doubles, a rookie named McCovey hitting the ball 462 feet over the center field fence in the Coliseum, and Wally Moon winning the game for the good guys with a 'moon shot' over the left field screen in the bottom of the 9th.

I was hooked.

First game I saw featured Joe Carter hitting three home runs off Red Sox pitching.

Box Score of Game played on Thursday, May 28, 1987 at Fenway Park

I had front row seats on the third base side with my Dad. Both Carter and Julio Franco chatted up the fans each time they were on deck. It was an amazing experience.

Last edited:
I cannot understand why he would be The Man that would make St Louse forget San "the man" Musial to go be one of so many stars in southern Cal. No real sense.

I was literally saying the same thing about making the fans forget all about Musial to a buddy of mine last night.

Pujols, if he is healthy, will start hitting for power and average and make runs happen.

I think what he thought was thought he could be the 'Alex Rodriquez' in LA.

He does not understand that he is not Alex Rodriquez (not yet) and LA will never be the center of America as NYC is the center of what we are as Americans.

A bad move, in my opinion.

Fuck ARod.

Why anyone in their right mind would want to like that guy is beyond me.

Kevin who?

It will take some serious balls for Red Sox brass to send Middlebrooks back down when he returns.

Unless the kid's hamstring keeps acting up on him, hopefully it's not a sign of things to come. A major league-level off-season conditioning program will be a big help despite the fact that I'm already pretty darn impressed with his power.

But then what the hell do you do with Youk? It's gonna be tough to justify a 12 million dollar backup.

Yeah, the hammy is concerning but I have zero clue what the kid's injury history is like so I have no clue if this will be an ongoing thing at all. But what we do know is that you can bet the house on Youk missing more than a handful of games every season and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon. In fact, it's only gotten progressively worse as he's aged.

Youk is in his last guaranteed year. If Middlebrooks continues to hit (obviously not at this torrid pace but steady good), I think you eat some of that money that's owed to him this season and trade him for someone who can help your bullpen, hopefully for the next 2-3 years. It's time to get some new young blood in the lineup. I really don't see this team going anywhere this season so we might as well get the kids in there. I'd bring up Iglesias too. Why the hell not?

I agree with all of it but the part about Iglesias, he's only hitting .243 so far against AAA pitching...Mike Aviles is hitting MLB pitching at a .260 clip with far more power. As far as fielding they both have 3 errors on the season.

I'm really not sure about him in the long-run. It may be better to keep his offensive numbers somewhat more inflated in AAA so his value doesn't slide...he's going to have to step it up at the plate one way or another or he won't last in that organization, at least I don't think so.

Unless the kid's hamstring keeps acting up on him, hopefully it's not a sign of things to come. A major league-level off-season conditioning program will be a big help despite the fact that I'm already pretty darn impressed with his power.

But then what the hell do you do with Youk? It's gonna be tough to justify a 12 million dollar backup.

Yeah, the hammy is concerning but I have zero clue what the kid's injury history is like so I have no clue if this will be an ongoing thing at all. But what we do know is that you can bet the house on Youk missing more than a handful of games every season and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon. In fact, it's only gotten progressively worse as he's aged.

Youk is in his last guaranteed year. If Middlebrooks continues to hit (obviously not at this torrid pace but steady good), I think you eat some of that money that's owed to him this season and trade him for someone who can help your bullpen, hopefully for the next 2-3 years. It's time to get some new young blood in the lineup. I really don't see this team going anywhere this season so we might as well get the kids in there. I'd bring up Iglesias too. Why the hell not?

I agree with all of it but the part about Iglesias, he's only hitting .243 so far against AAA pitching...Mike Aviles is hitting MLB pitching at a .260 clip with far more power. As far as fielding they both have 3 errors on the season.

I'm really not sure about him in the long-run. It may be better to keep his offensive numbers somewhat more inflated in AAA so his value doesn't slide...he's going to have to step it up at the plate one way or another or he won't last in that organization, at least I don't think so.

Iglesias' value has already slipped. They may both have the same amount of errors but Aviles will always be a candle next to Iglesias' sun in terms of fielding their position.

I've seen too much inconsistency and long lasting slumps from Aviles the last few seasons to believe that his bat is worth having in the lineup every day. Maybe I'm old school but I'll take the ultra slick fielding SS who can't hit all day over a sub average guy who has some pop.

The problem is right now you wouldn't get anything for him. Who would trade a decent reliever or a prospect for him at this point?

The problem is right now you wouldn't get anything for him. Who would trade a decent reliever or a prospect for him at this point?

There's a sucker born every day but I agree it's going to be tough to move him and get something of real value in return.

They should have moved him during the offseason.

Iglesias' value has already slipped. They may both have the same amount of errors but Aviles will always be a candle next to Iglesias' sun in terms of fielding their position.

I've seen too much inconsistency and long lasting slumps from Aviles the last few seasons to believe that his bat is worth having in the lineup every day. Maybe I'm old school but I'll take the ultra slick fielding SS who can't hit all day over a sub average guy who has some pop.

That is old school...I keep thinking of the new-age SS trio of Jeter, Rodriguez, and Garciaparra that raised the bar for that position...I guess my standards have changed a little. But maybe he could work out.

:dunno:

There's a sucker born every day but I agree it's going to be tough to move him and get something of real value in return.

Somebody was busy during the offseason worrying about soccer.

Let's Go Mets!

Came back from four runs down last night in Philly. Holding their own for a change.

There are currently a half dozen of my former players making their way through the minors ( and a dozen playing in college ) but none have been able to get past AAA yet. The talent up there is crazy.

Somebody was busy during the offseason worrying about soccer.

I don't know if you watch NESN or go to their website but the Liverpool coverage is incredibly immense considering very few in the Boston area give a shit about it.

Beckett-gate...it sucks, but hey, it was his damn day off!

The Red Sox are bogged down with over-priced starting pitchers that don't produce and former promising young stars that have forgotten how to pitch.

They took one of the more dominant middle to late relievers and threw him in the rotation to apparently minimize his effectiveness, since that's all the team has gained from it.

Oh and the farm-system that only 6 years ago was the considered the deepest in MLB has been slowly whittled away. Only two out of their top-ten prospects are pitchers...and are only projected to be #2 or #3 guys in a rotation, if they work out. No Madison Bumgarners or Clayton Kershaws in that list

They. Are. Fucked.

New Topics

Forum List

Back