Mittens tells a joke from 1994..........

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Here's the joke..........

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObVnA0nIx_s]Romney's "self deportation" plan draws laughs - YouTube[/ame]

Now.........here's why 1994 is calling and want their joke back.............

On last week's show, we took up the subject of "self-deportation," the new, supposedly gentler anti-illegal immigration movement that’s been embraced by various Republican presidential hopefuls, including Mitt Romney. In our report we credited Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach with inventing “self-deportation.”

But we were reminded by a twitter feed that he was not the first person to come up with this idea.

In fact, the concept can be traced to the mid-1990's. That’s when a group called “Hispanics Against Liberal Takeover” (HALTO) started running tongue-in-cheek political ads in California, calling for the self-deportation of all illegal immigrants in the United States.

At the time, the founder of HALTO, a Mexican-American called Daniel D. Portado, came onto our very own radio show in November 1996 to promote this idea.

Daniel D. Portado: We feel that the immigrants are taking too many jobs, are bringing down the quality of life. They're not allowing our young American teenagers the character-building experiences of picking fruit and cleaning hotel beds.

Later Ira asks him:

Ira Glass: Daniel D. Portado, if you actually believe in deportation, what are you, yourself, still doing in California?

Daniel D. Portado: Well, I am here to help everyone get out. I hope to look forward to the day where I will stand at the border and say, will the last Mexican out of California please turn out the lights? That will be me.

News Flash: The Real Inventor of "Self-Deportation" | This American Life

I'm wondering why his staff didn't notice this little nugget, and allowed him to REPEATEDLY talk about "self deportation".

Forum List

Back