Mittens say separation of church and state goes too far

Madison is known as the father of the constitution.

he wrote most of it.

HE of all people KNOWS what me meant to convey in it.

YOU DONT

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

If it was meant to say more, or exactly what Jefferson's (or Madison's) personal opinion was and make that into the law of the land, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WRITTEN THAT WAY... IT WAS NOT.....

I might get flamed for this but why can't churches pay their fair share in taxes?

Excellent question!

garfield-tax-churches-3.jpg

And from your link

Q71. "I cannot find anywhere in the Constitution that refers to separation of church and state."

A. Though many people assume the 1st Amendment sets out some separation, the phrase does not appear in the Constitution. The phrase "wall of separation" appears to have been coined by Jefferson, in speaking of the religious liberties granted by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Madison, however, said that there is a line between church and state, not a wall — the distinction may or may not be significant.

In practice the separation is more theoretical than actual. In a truly separate society, we would not invoke the name of God on our currency, nor would we speak so highly of our Judeo-Christian values. But we do — the fact of the matter is, completely separating religion and government is probably impossible, so long as religion is an important part of the lives of the citizenry. The best we can hope for, and what I think the Constitution tries to protect, is to ensure that there is no discrimination on the basis of religious belief — that there be no religion litmus test.

And from your link

Q71. "I cannot find anywhere in the Constitution that refers to separation of church and state."

A. Though many people assume the 1st Amendment sets out some separation, the phrase does not appear in the Constitution. The phrase "wall of separation" appears to have been coined by Jefferson, in speaking of the religious liberties granted by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Madison, however, said that there is a line between church and state, not a wall — the distinction may or may not be significant.

In practice the separation is more theoretical than actual. In a truly separate society, we would not invoke the name of God on our currency, nor would we speak so highly of our Judeo-Christian values. But we do — the fact of the matter is, completely separating religion and government is probably impossible, so long as religion is an important part of the lives of the citizenry. The best we can hope for, and what I think the Constitution tries to protect, is to ensure that there is no discrimination on the basis of religious belief — that there be no religion litmus test.

Maybe you should also look at SCOTUS cases...

Constitutional Topic: The Constitution and Religion - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

both him and Madison had something to do with what the constitution says dont you think?

And the vast majority who also helped write it, was against what he said.
He sent the letter to the Danbury Baptist Association without the words (separation of church and state) but kept it in his own draft.

Forum List

Back