mittens 18 pt lead in SC

If President Romney wins SC, it is over.

I'm sure the establishment will paint it that way...

So three states, never breaks 50% in any of them, and it's "over"? really?

Yes. Oh, the charade could go on for a bit more, but the race will be done.

SC is a bedrock conservative state. If a moderate wins SC, then the party is not going to nominate Gingrich, Perry or Santorum. Romney has huge structural advantages to begin with - money, infrastructure - that the others do not, and there is no chance any of the other candidates will be able to match it. And if Romney wins SC and FL, then I expect most of the candidates except maybe for Ron Paul and possibly Santorum (who is running for 2016) to drop out.

Santorum has the least baggage of the three remaining conservatives but he is probably the least formidable candidate since this election will be run solely on the economy and everything else will be a sideshow. Perry can point to the success of Texas and Gingrich can point to balancing the budget. Santorum has no street cred on economic issues and nobody cares about abortion and gay marriage this time around.

If President Romney wins SC, it is over.

SC is a bedrock conservative state. If a moderate wins SC, then the party is not going to nominate Gingrich, Perry or Santorum. Romney has huge structural advantages to begin with - money, infrastructure - that the others do not, and there is no chance any of the other candidates will be able to match it. And if Romney wins SC and FL, then I expect most of the candidates except maybe for Ron Paul and possibly Santorum (who is running for 2016) to drop out.

Santorum has the least baggage of the three remaining conservatives but he is probably the least formidable candidate since this election will be run solely on the economy and everything else will be a sideshow. Perry can point to the success of Texas and Gingrich can point to balancing the budget. Santorum has no street cred on economic issues and nobody cares about abortion and gay marriage this time around.

Yes, yes, the same old tired arguments about why Conservatives should support a liberal.

But you avoided the question. Why should three states pick the nominee? Especially since he won't break 50% in any of those states.

You know, in 2008, the Democratic contest went on all the way until the end. Every state got a say in the issue. And then the Super-delegates put Obama over the top. And they came out with an energized base.

The GOP. Meh, let's get this over with, let's rig the game. If we can't get our guy to win honestly, let's exclude everyone else from the ballot.

And when no one shows up for him, they'll blame everything but themselves for it.

Yes, yes, the same old tired arguments about why Conservatives should support a liberal.

But you avoided the question. Why should three states pick the nominee? Especially since he won't break 50% in any of those states.

You know, in 2008, the Democratic contest went on all the way until the end. Every state got a say in the issue. And then the Super-delegates put Obama over the top. And they came out with an energized base.

The GOP. Meh, let's get this over with, let's rig the game. If we can't get our guy to win honestly, let's exclude everyone else from the ballot.

And when no one shows up for him, they'll blame everything but themselves for it.

I answered the question. The answer is that Romney is gaining momentum and the party doesn't like the other options. If conservatives are swinging to Romney in SC, that is an indication that the party is moving more broadly towards him. If he wins SC and FL, he will be 4-0 and will have won different states in different regions with different leanings and different processes for selecting a candidate. It's done.

I have consistently stated that a conservative can win this election because Obama is extremely vulnerable, but the ones on show are extremely flawed and the party doesn't appear to be taking to any of them.

I answered the question. The answer is that Romney is gaining momentum and the party doesn't like the other options. If conservatives are swinging to Romney in SC, that is an indication that the party is moving more broadly towards him. If he wins SC and FL, he will be 4-0 and will have won different states in different regions with different leanings and different processes for selecting a candidate. It's done.

I have consistently stated that a conservative can win this election because Obama is extremely vulnerable, but the ones on show are extremely flawed and the party doesn't appear to be taking to any of them.

Well, it's hard for them to take to any of them if the GOP establishment destroys them the minute they get any traction.

If the GOP were a resturant, it would be like this...

GOP Waiter- "We have some Lovely Romney Tofu tonght."

Conservative - "Ugh- Tofu? Give me the Bachmann Beef."

Waiter - "You don't want that. Mad Cow Disease! You really should try the Tofu."

Con - "Ummmm. OKay. I'll have the Perry Chicken."

Waiter- "OOOH, you don't want that. Bird Flu. The Tofu really is nice."

Con- "Errr, how about the Cain Turkey?"

Waiter- "Oh, no, that's 99.9% toxic. But Tofu is awesome!"

Con- "How about the Gingrich Pork Chop. That sounds good."

Waiter- "Oh, no, that's too fatty. And adulterous. You really, really want the Tofu!"

Con- "What about the Paul Fish?"

Waiter - "Ahhhhhh- Mercury Poisoning!!!!!! Dammit, just take the fucking Tofu and like it!"

Con- "You aren't the boss of me. I want the Santorum Philly Sandwich."

Waiter- "Right. That's one Tofu, coming up."

Last I got, and I'll try to take some time tomorrow so posters for whoever they are cheering on can get a grip on the real deal, I'll try to get in here.

Cripes, all I see and not that Romney is a bad man, but all I see from up here is the lib establishment really attempting to get him to be Bam Bam's opponent.

Weird. Strange. Bizarro. Doesn't pass the smell test. Not Romney's fault but Axelrod wants Romney.

He's got something. On the other hand. Give me a couple of weeks.

I figure what's good for the goose. Is good for the gander. I think media should come under the same scrutiny as candidates.:D

Of course, they want Romney. Romney does something none of the others do.

He gets Evangelicals to finally ask themselves, "Why are we supporting the Republican Party again?"

When you really think about it, there isn't a good reason for them to. They've been supporting the GOP since Reagan. But what do they have to show for it?

Abortion is still legal.
Homosexuals are gaining rights, and can now legally marry in six states.
Kids still can't pray in school.
Those School Vouchers still aren't coming.
Kids are still being taught they evolved from Monkeys.

Meanwhile, the economic conservatives have gotten what they've wanted. Which usually means the working class evangelicals are working for less money with less benefits, and they'd better like it.

And now on top of all of that, the GOP is going to nominate a MORMON! A Mormon most of the base didn't want.

It's the wedge between religious conservatives and economic conservatives that they've been looking to drive for years. Huckabee almost did it 4 years ago, but they cut him off at the pass by rallying around McCain.

I think there are other reasons, too. The Media is starting to finally do stories on how Romney got so rich, screwing over non-Mormons in working class towns. Like that Steel Mill in Kansas that went bankrupt, and Romney and Bain got a pile of Federal bailout money.

This batch of GOP candidates seems to be proof positive of that.

Well, it's hard for them to take to any of them if the GOP establishment destroys them the minute they get any traction.

If the GOP were a resturant, it would be like this...

GOP Waiter- "We have some Lovely Romney Tofu tonght."

Conservative - "Ugh- Tofu? Give me the Bachmann Beef."

Waiter - "You don't want that. Mad Cow Disease! You really should try the Tofu."

Con - "Ummmm. OKay. I'll have the Perry Chicken."

Waiter- "OOOH, you don't want that. Bird Flu. The Tofu really is nice."

Con- "Errr, how about the Cain Turkey?"

Waiter- "Oh, no, that's 99.9% toxic. But Tofu is awesome!"

Con- "How about the Gingrich Pork Chop. That sounds good."

Waiter- "Oh, no, that's too fatty. And adulterous. You really, really want the Tofu!"

Con- "What about the Paul Fish?"

Waiter - "Ahhhhhh- Mercury Poisoning!!!!!! Dammit, just take the fucking Tofu and like it!"

Con- "You aren't the boss of me. I want the Santorum Philly Sandwich."

Waiter- "Right. That's one Tofu, coming up."

That's irrelevant.

The only thing that matters is who is going to win. And if Romney wins SC, he is almost certainly going to win the nomination.

That's irrelevant.

The only thing that matters is who is going to win. And if Romney wins SC, he is almost certainly going to win the nomination.

And lose the general election.

Oh, wait. Wasn't that the point?

Romney has a better chance than the other candidates.

A Mormon-hating anti-capitalist might think otherwise, but sorry, its true.

:eusa_whistle:

Mitt Romney soars to top of South Carolina poll - Political Intelligence - A national political and campaign blog from The Boston Globe - Boston.com

Mitt Romney has rocketed to an 18-point lead in South Carolina, according to a CNN poll released today.

South Carolina, the first southern state to hold a primary, could prove to be a crossroads for the Republican nomination process. Social conservatives and Tea Party activists hope to erect a roadblock against Romney, seeking to prevent the momentum he gained from his historic eight-vote victory in Iowa and his expected win in New Hampshire next Tuesday from transforming into an election juggernaut.

He's running away with New Hampshire. If he wins South Carolina too then the others may as well call it quits. We have open primaries in South Carolina so I wouldn't be surprised if most independents and third party folks like myself vote in the Republican primary.

That's irrelevant.

And lose the general election.

Oh, wait. Wasn't that the point?

Romney won't lose the general election. None of the candidates will. I just don't trust Romney to do anything significant to reform Washington.

Forum List

Back