Mitt Wins So What Does That Say? What's The Message?

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
This has been a really strange GOP primary. Almost the whole way through we've seen an almost rabid attempt to deny Mitt the nomination so a REAL conservative can be nominated. But the primary electorate would have none of it.

Since Mitt's got this all wrapped up what does this say about conservatism and the GOP party?

Is Mitt the REAL conservative and the rest RINO's?

Is this the fallout from the Citizen's United ruling?

Is the religous wing of the party losing it's influence?

Is the Tea Party no longer a driving force?

Will we see moderates gaining power in congress?

What say you? What's the message? Or is there a message? How can a moderate win the nomination in a party full of hard core conservatives?

This has been a really strange GOP primary. Almost the whole way through we've seen an almost rabid attempt to deny Mitt the nomination so a REAL conservative can be nominated. But the primary electorate would have none of it.

Since Mitt's got this all wrapped up what does this say about conservatism and the GOP party?

What say you? What's the message? Or is there a message? How can a moderate win the nomination in a party full of hard core conservatives?

Its is fascinating isn't it. I think the republican party has changed, and the base is currently doing a lot of soul searching. Many if not most conservatives have been trapped into the "lesser of two evils" vote of Mitt.

It is a long standing tradition that the former runner up gets the nod the next go round. Mitt finished second against McCain, so this time the media just kind of said, "Mitt is the man" from the beginning it was like manifest destiny.

But lets face it Mitt is not popular with the base, and the only support he garners is from the fact that he is not Obama. From the very beginning, until the very end we saw conservatives flock from one candidate to the next; looking for a real conservative with real brains and charisma. But none of them fit the ticket. Mitt is the last man standing with the exception of Ron Paul. Its interesting to see the fork in the road that republicans are faced with at this point. They can still change everything today if they so choose. You have one who is dependent and principled and another who is the etch-a-sketch man. This is why I say the conservative base has some soul searching to do. You would think that it is obvious that Paul is more conservative than Romney. Not to mention Paul is more electable than Romney (polls have shown).

I think the crux of the matter is that conservatives don't like giving up control. They would like to legislate morality. But is it conservative to do so. To me it just sounds like government intruding in the bedroom, which is ironic because conservatives live and die by the principle of the government staying out of our bedrooms. More soul searching in the civil liberties category for the conservative base.

If you guys are looking for an Everyman conservative candidate, he does not exist.

There are many competing ideas on how to stop the communist infiltration.

Its is fascinating isn't it. I think the republican party has changed, and the base is currently doing a lot of soul searching. Many if not most conservatives have been trapped into the "lesser of two evils" vote of Mitt.

It is a long standing tradition that the former runner up gets the nod the next go round. Mitt finished second against McCain, so this time the media just kind of said, "Mitt is the man" from the beginning it was like manifest destiny.

But lets face it Mitt is not popular with the base, and the only support he garners is from the fact that he is not Obama. From the very beginning, until the very end we saw conservatives flock from one candidate to the next; looking for a real conservative with real brains and charisma. But none of them fit the ticket. Mitt is the last man standing with the exception of Ron Paul. Its interesting to see the fork in the road that republicans are faced with at this point. They can still change everything today if they so choose. You have one who is dependent and principled and another who is the etch-a-sketch man. This is why I say the conservative base has some soul searching to do. You would think that it is obvious that Paul is more conservative than Romney. Not to mention Paul is more electable than Romney (polls have shown).

I think the crux of the matter is that conservatives don't like giving up control. They would like to legislate morality. But is it conservative to do so. To me it just sounds like government intruding in the bedroom, which is ironic because conservatives live and die by the principle of the government staying out of our bedrooms. More soul searching in the civil liberties category for the conservative base.

Good post. It's insightful and I agree with a lot of it. One exception is that it's "conservative to legislate morality". I disagree with that.

I think you're right when you say that the base needs to do a lot of soul searching. Especially since a moderate like Mitt is the best they could do.

I think you miss read that. I was posing a question, "is it conservative to legislate morality?" I personally don't believe that it is, just like you. But much of the conservative base does like to legislate morality. Its the fork in the road for the party as far as I can tell.

If you guys are looking for an Everyman conservative candidate, he does not exist.

There are many competing ideas on how to stop the communist infiltration.

How about just a conservative one?

There were plenty of conservatives in the race. Problem was there was too many and the conservative vote got spread out among them all. If they had dropped out much earlier we probably would have seen a different nominee.

Its safe to say though that unlike McCain, Romney will attack Obama for his abysmal record. This election is a referendum on the Hussein.

I think you miss read that. I was posing a question, "is it conservative to legislate morality?" I personally don't believe that it is, just like you. But much of the conservative base does like to legislate morality. Its the fork in the road for the party as far as I can tell.

All laws are a form of someone legislating morality. :cuckoo:

Both sides try to 'legislate morality'. Just different moralities. It is conservative to live and let live.

'Think Critically' believes Dakota territory Deadwood is the model form of government.

Just saw the latest polls. Romney leads among independents by 13 points.

obama better start packing.

I should clarify what I mean by morality.

Is it immoral to swear, to do drugs, be gay?
You might say as a conservative that yes all these things are immoral.

I could also ask is it immoral to kill, or to steal?
Again the conservative would say "yes".

The difference between the two set of moral questions is that the first one harms the individual and in no way infringes upon the liberties of other's around them. The second example though is an example of immoral behavior that directly infringes upon the liberties of others.

You are right that all legislation is a form of morality codes, but so long as those immoralities are not directly infringing upon the liberties of other's, we as a free society should allow it, instead of incarcerating individuals for things like drug addiction and the like.

I should clarify what I mean by morality.

Is it immoral to swear, to do drugs, be gay?
You might say as a conservative that yes all these things are immoral.

I could also ask is it immoral to kill, or to steal?
Again the conservative would say "yes".

The difference between the two set of moral questions is that the first one harms the individual and in no way infringes upon the liberties of other's around them. The second example though is an example of immoral behavior that directly infringes upon the liberties of others.

You are right that all legislation is a form of morality codes, but so long as those immoralities are not directly infringing upon the liberties of other's, we as a free society should allow it, instead of incarcerating individuals for things like drug addiction and the like.

YEEEEHAAAAAAH!

DEADWOOD!

deadwood2.jpg

Forum List

Back