Mitt Romney’s misleading attack ad

One would rather hear Romney’s plans to heal the economy and create jobs as opposed to his attempt to portray the president as a ‘commie.’

Romney’s attack is evidence that he has no plans to heal the economy and create jobs, given the fact Obama is not responsible for current economic conditions, and Romney would realize no greater success if he were president.

Consequently voters are subject to this childish and inane name-calling.

wow, so Obama isn't responsible for the current economic conditions..after FOUR years the man isn't responsible for ANYTHING...you all keep trying to sell that one

*snip*

If you listen to Romney’s ad, you hear the president say this:

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ’cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

Here’s what Obama actually said, with the omitted sentences in bold:

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ‘cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: There are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

So, in Romney’s ad, “that” refers to “building a business.” In Obama’s remarks, “that” refers to the roads and bridges.

My point on “Morning Joe” was that the media has gotten into a pattern where we listen to presidential candidates say the same thing a dozen, a hundred, a thousand times, and then the one time they stumble over their words or phrase their point inartfully, we jump all over them. It has happened to both Romney and Obama during this cycle. Repeatedly.

What I didn’t say, but perhaps should have, is that once we in the media deem something to be a “gaffe,” the normal rules of journalism cease to apply, and we begin running and rerunning the attack ads that relate to the gaffe, and playing clips of surrogates mocking the gaffe, and so on.

All this is done, in part, to retroactively justify the coverage of the initial comment: “See, we told you this would be a big deal, and now it is a big deal.” But that is, of course, self-fulfilling, as we have made it a big deal — and have handed the opposing campaign a reason to make it a big deal — by giving it wall-to-wall coverage. In doing, we create an incentive for both campaigns to engage in more of this kind of behavior, to make more of these kinds of ads. We are, in effect, encouraging a race to the bottom.

*snip*

SPIN all you want...Romney used Obamas own words, his own thoughts and his own beliefs against him...the ad is brilliant....

and not just because it's an ad...but because Obama is now showing his true core beliefs to the American people....we all see it...and YOU can't hide it any longer!:eusa_boohoo:

We all heard the idiot speak. we know what he said and we know what he meant, he shot himself in the ass and you cannot walk it back now. so fuck off.
But you're stupid, Dirty Granny. You need things repeated to you, or it goes right out of your addled brain. That's why I posted the transcript.

How many times did they tell you to not poop in your diaper unless it was an absolute emergency? You needed that re-enforced a few times, right?

Same thing.

Some people use those "roads and bridges" Obama talks about to drive to the WELFARE OFFICE to get their Obama issued handouts.......others use those roads and bridges to make profits BUILDING A BUSINESS in order to pay for what Obama is handing out to those other "smart" people!

no dearie....they ARE Smarter, they do WORK HARDER and it would be nice if just once in a while you morons just said thank you and shut the hell up!

VlJ4V.png

*snip*

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ’cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

If you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be ‘cause I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something: There are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

So, in Romney’s ad, “that” refers to “building a business.” In Obama’s remarks, “that” refers to the roads and bridges.

"If you've got a business, you didn't build that (the building of roads and bridges)." So business/owners don't pay taxes that help to build those roads and bridges?

"Somebody else made that (the building of roads and bridges) happen". Somebody else that doesn't include the business/owners cause they didn't pay taxes that help to build those roads and bridges?

Bullshit. Obama went off-prompter and spoke what he believes ... that the individual effort is secondary to the collective effort. Cripes, he didn't even give the business/owners credit for their being a part of the collective.

:eusa_hand:

I must have missed Synthia's whining about Obama's misleading attack ads. I'm sure she did a thread on it.... anyone got a link?

No?

Color me shocked.

Sythia... hack.

One would rather hear Romney’s plans to heal the economy and create jobs as opposed to his attempt to portray the president as a ‘commie.’

Romney’s attack is evidence that he has no plans to heal the economy and create jobs, given the fact Obama is not responsible for current economic conditions, and Romney would realize no greater success if he were president.

Obama is not responsible for current economic conditions? Just what has he supposed to be doing the last three and half years?

According to obama, the fault lies with a capitalistic system that has NEVER worked. So none of it is his fault.

gawd...reading that shit again makes it WORSE than the first time..
vote this collectivist idiot out people...INSULTING and sickening

I am still so totally amused that there are people trying to claim Romney is lying by quoting what the President said.

On the other hand, it's totally sad that people have lied to themselves into believing that quoting the President is somehow deceptive.

*snip*

My point on “Morning Joe” was that the media has gotten into a pattern where we listen to presidential candidates say the same thing a dozen, a hundred, a thousand times, and then the one time they stumble over their words or phrase their point inartfully, we jump all over them. It has happened to both Romney and Obama during this cycle. Repeatedly.

What I didn’t say, but perhaps should have, is that once we in the media deem something to be a “gaffe,” the normal rules of journalism cease to apply, and we begin running and rerunning the attack ads that relate to the gaffe, and playing clips of surrogates mocking the gaffe, and so on.

All this is done, in part, to retroactively justify the coverage of the initial comment: “See, we told you this would be a big deal, and now it is a big deal.” But that is, of course, self-fulfilling, as we have made it a big deal — and have handed the opposing campaign a reason to make it a big deal — by giving it wall-to-wall coverage. In doing, we create an incentive for both campaigns to engage in more of this kind of behavior, to make more of these kinds of ads. We are, in effect, encouraging a race to the bottom.

*snip*

You obviously flunked 7th grade English.

'That' is a pronoun which is used in this instance as a substitute for 'business.'
No... He's right... You can argue the semantics about it all you want, it's pretty damn obvious Obama was talking about the things that the business owner or business itself didn't build.

I want to make sure that it's absolutely understood by everybody here my thoughts on something like this. Someone else can't make you look stupid. Like Obama was saying that you wouldn't have a business without the rest of society, someone else can't make you look stupid unless you want to actually open your mouth and talk stupid.

Now I myself will say something stupid sooner or later I'm sure. So I'll say it's stupid, and then move on. Happens to everybody sooner or later.

Libs still making excuses for Obama's dumb ass comment.

Obama's whole speech was about how wealthy successful people don't deserve what they earned, the Obama followers deserve it so they (the successful) need to be taxed more.

It was yet another divide and conquer speech from the Marxist-in-Chief.

Exactly. Obama's speech, and every line in it, was made within the larger context of why he thinks it should be okay to soak business owners for more dough. There's no getting around that, and the one sentence which the OP is so concerned over doesn't mitigate the earlier message. An actual "out-of-context" attack would do exactly that; it would distort the message. This didn't.

If Bishop Romney didn't lie, he would have nothing to campaign on.

I posted Ezra, the asswipe, Klein's rant on the other thread. You dummies are to ADD to even look around you.

As usual, Ezra is wrong. First, there is nothing intensified or diluted via the section they dropped. Everyone knows what Oblather means.

Bettrer luck with your surgery than with this.

This is nothing more than a continuation of Obleater's justification for stealing from the middle-class to give to his electorate.

Last edited:

You self-righteous bastards are just hysterical to read.

Obama has just spent 100,000,000, that's right, count 'em...100,000,000 on ads mostly attacking Romney......

And you are going to post this kind of crap ?

Forum List

Back