Mitt Romney’s Beachfront Mansion Has Its Own Lobbyist

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
Alex Seitz-Wald on Mar 27, 2012 at 10:40 am

Romney's 3,000 sq. ft. tear down
Last year, Mitt Romney applied for a permit to bulldoze his 3,000-square-foot, $12 million home in on the beach in La Jolla, California, in order to replace it with one nearly four times its size. The “non-living” portion of the new alone will be twice the size of an Average American’s home, but Romney’s campaign said the existing, smaller “manse” was “inadequate for [the Romneys'] needs.”

Now, Politico reports that the home comes with a unique feature: Its own lobbyist. It turns out it can be difficult to get the city to approve a new 11,000-square-foot house with its own car elevators, so to help facilitate the construction, Romney hired San Diego attorney and registered lobbyist Matthew Peterson, paying him $21,500 since 2008. Reid Epstein reports:

READ MORE Mitt Romney's Mansion Has Its Own Lobbyist, Car Elevators

OP - Shuddup asswipe. Any idea how much Obama's vacation's have cost the U.S. taxpayer so far?

Look it up stupid, and do a comparo.

You have a problem with people spending their own money to build/remodel their own property? Is the State going to mind getting more taxes off the property?

Alex Seitz-Wald on Mar 27, 2012 at 10:40 am

Romney's 3,000 sq. ft. tear down
Last year, Mitt Romney applied for a permit to bulldoze his 3,000-square-foot, $12 million home in on the beach in La Jolla, California, in order to replace it with one nearly four times its size. The “non-living” portion of the new alone will be twice the size of an Average American’s home, but Romney’s campaign said the existing, smaller “manse” was “inadequate for [the Romneys'] needs.”

Now, Politico reports that the home comes with a unique feature: Its own lobbyist. It turns out it can be difficult to get the city to approve a new 11,000-square-foot house with its own car elevators, so to help facilitate the construction, Romney hired San Diego attorney and registered lobbyist Matthew Peterson, paying him $21,500 since 2008. Reid Epstein reports:

READ MORE Mitt Romney's Mansion Has Its Own Lobbyist, Car Elevators

At least he's creating jobs.

Guess all the true men like dwight eisenhower that were for the people not the Mansion not the Vacation or the money are gone

Guess all the true men like dwight eisenhower that were for the people not the Mansion not the Vacation or the money are gone

Exactly what evidence do you have that people who are successful in business and build up their property are not for the people?

Most people wouldn't take the pay cut it takes to be an elected politician if all they wanted was money. Some people believe in serving the public after they've served the private sector.

Romney is a tinkerer. He's an economic fix-it man. He likes to make things work. That's why he was so successful in business. He will make an excellent president.

Willard can spend his money any way he likes. Nobody is denying it. He can lavishly spend millions on car elevators and Cadillacs...perfectly within his right to do. You cannot, however, deny that it just makes him seem more out of touch with the rest of the world that can't fill their gas tanks every week because all of the wealth in this country is going to people like him and not to the rest of us.

26rattner-graphic-popup.jpg

So what we've got here is a guy wanting to tear down a home and build a new one in a swanky place like La Jolla, CA. What are the odds there might be some zoning issues there (as elsewhere) that have to be addressed in order to receive various permits, approvals, and whatnot? So not wanting to personally get involved in the local government building bureaucracy, the owner hires a lawyer who specializes in conquering mazes of red tape for such clients.

And, according to the article, such an attorney must register as a lobbyist. Oh, lobbyist! There's a handy dirty term usually linked with Washington pols, so that makes this a nice tidy opportunity to use the name of the likely Republican presidential candidate in the same sentence with it.

It's a non-issue, but the crafty lefties are well aware some of their choir members will take it in the manner in which it was intended. Just another diversion like the phony Republican war on women to keep the focus anywhere but on Barry and Co.

Romney is providing many good paying construction jobs.

You know that group of people democrats dont care about?

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Willard can spend his money any way he likes. Nobody is denying it. He can lavishly spend millions on car elevators and Cadillacs...perfectly within his right to do. You cannot, however, deny that it just makes him seem more out of touch with the rest of the world that can't fill their gas tanks every week because all of the wealth in this country is going to people like him and not to the rest of us.

So, all rich people are out of touch with the rest of the world? Or only rich Republicans?

You want more wealth, fucking EARN it.

So, it's ok for other wealthy people to employ third parties to act on their behalf, but not Mitt Romney... have I got that right?

then it must follow that you think that fat ass michelle is out of touch too, frolicking around on vacation on the taxpayers time and the rest of us can't fill our gas tanks,, oh my.... you is so cute.

Way to miss the point my fellow conservatives.

How many ordinary people can hire lobbyists for a remodel on ONE of their houses?

Being rich does not automatically make one qualified for even COMPETENT for public office.

This just makes us look like all we care about is rich folks. And accurately so.
At some point, supporting the rich at the cost of everyone else, will cost US.

What I find TRULY disturbing is the willingness of my fellow Republicans to ride a bad situation right to the bitter end. Remember 2008? We rode that right as it augered into the ground. A couple people around here try to blame Fannie and Freddie and a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with the systemic deregulation republicans enacted and brought about the crash, but that just makes us look ignorant and unwilling to accept responsibility for our actions.

Given the discipline of fiscal conservatism in the Republican party of the last decade, it amazed me that we are able to run on any platform which is critical of spending.

Way to miss the point my fellow conservatives.

How many ordinary people can hire lobbyists for a remodel on ONE of their houses?
I wasn't aware 'ordinary people' needed to hire a lobbyist. Irrelevant argument.

Being rich does not automatically make one qualified for even COMPETENT for public office.
I wasn't aware that was the topic of the OP? I thought it was just a bitch fest about a rich guy.

This just makes us look like all we care about is rich folks. And accurately so.
At some point, supporting the rich at the cost of everyone else, will cost US.
'Us'...you are certainly not a Republican, nor a conservative, based on posting history.

What I find TRULY disturbing is the willingness of my fellow Republicans to ride a bad situation right to the bitter end. Remember 2008? We rode that right as it augered into the ground. A couple people around here try to blame Fannie and Freddie and a bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with the systemic deregulation republicans enacted and brought about the crash, but that just makes us look ignorant and unwilling to accept responsibility for our actions.
'My fellow republicans'...you are certainly not a Republican, nor a conservative, based on posting history.You're as muc a republican as Rightwinger is :rofl:

Given the discipline of fiscal conservatism in the Republican party of the last decade, it amazed me that we are able to run on any platform which is critical of spending.

My comments in BLUE above.

Forum List

Back