Mitt Romney's 2011 Tax Return To Be Released At 3 PM Today

Obama has released 12 years of tax returns.
Romney has released 2.

We need 20.

Why won't he give us 20? Romney is going to give 20. What's he hiding?

What makes you believe Romney is going to give 20?

If Obama doesnt give us 20, we will know for a fact that hes hiding something. Thats how it works... i ask for something, and when he doesnt give it, its because hes hiding something.

You're right. If he had done his taxes differently it wouldn't accord with what he later said about them.

Do you ever think about what you write before you write it?

What he said was dishonest. He has previously stated that if he didn't take every deduction he possible could, he would not be qualified to be President.

You people act like Mitt does his own taxes.....he doesn't, he has accountants that do their job for their client.

His accountants would opening themselves up to lawsuit if they didn't prepare his taxes in such a way that he had the lowest rate possible.

So loopholes are the defining factor for you, huh? You do know that Obama "exploits" loopholes too, right. Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Oprah.....they all "exploit" loopholes.

I bet you didn't have an issue when John Kerry and his wife "exploited" tax loopholes.

Just admit that your a liberal and you don't want a republican to win. It's okay, that's what this great nation is all about.

Loopholes is just another way of saying credits. Everyone uses them, and many use enough of them to pay no income tax at all. 2 sides of the same coin.

Like the Obama's contributing to their daughter's college funds, you realize that's a loophole, right??

Yes.

We need 20.

Why won't he give us 20? Romney is going to give 20. What's he hiding?

If Obama doesnt give us 20, we will know for a fact that hes hiding something. Thats how it works... i ask for something, and when he doesnt give it, its because hes hiding something.

Why shouldn't Romney have to live up to the same standards as every other presidential candidate?

You don't believe building cathedrals in Salt Lake City is more valid consumption item than a flat-screen TV? You communist.

LOL - I have nothing against flat screen TVs or catherdrals in Salt lake City.
But when one of our wealthiest citizens pays 14% in taxes, can you really - with a straight face - continue to argue that we are taxing the rich to death? That we need MORE tax relief for the wealthiest?

I agree with you. I was making a joke about the idea that building a bunch of gaudy building is charitable.

Yeah, because humans should hovel in Quanset huts to worship.
The extent of arrogance of people who think they have the right to tell people how to spend their own money slays me.

The big problem I have with mittens and his taxes is this,

He exploits loopholes in order to benefit himself.

If someone wants to be leader of the free world and they are exploiting this, or exploiting anything as a matter of fact, I don’t want him leading the free world!

Its as simple as that.

So loopholes are the defining factor for you, huh? You do know that Obama "exploits" loopholes too, right. Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Oprah.....they all "exploit" loopholes.

I bet you didn't have an issue when John Kerry and his wife "exploited" tax loopholes.

Just admit that your a liberal and you don't want a republican to win. It's okay, that's what this great nation is all about.

Do you think it's ethical that hedge fund tycoons are effectively allowed to lie about the source of their income? Carried interest, in the context of a hedge fund, is labor income to the management. That they're allowed to claim it's a capital gain is theft.

Gotta agree. I don't blame any taxpayer for following the letter of the law. In fact, I would consider anyone who pays more than required to be a poor steward of their own money and I wouldn't trust them with mine.

But still - you can't push for tax breaks for the wealthiest Americans when you find out they pay about 14%.

Dang, y'all what's 14% of five million???? Then add the charitable contributions on top of that.

A charitable contribution is not equivalent to paying tax. It's not a substitute for paying taxes. We don't pick and choose which programs our tax dollars go to fund like you do with charitable contributions.

Charitable contributions are great. I applaud them and I applaud those who make them. But they aren't funding our nation's needs with them.

14% is NOT overtaxing the rich. I think many will believe that we can expect a bigger contribution from our wealthiest Americans. Especially when folks who make a lot less, pay a higher effective tax rate.

Why is funding government waste better than charitable contributions. Why do you get to tell Romney how to spend his money????

If you look at the $$$$$ you will find Romney paid a heck of a lot more than Biden and he also donated a lot more than Biden.

Why can't he use the "legal substitute" the way he wants?? Why does he have to do it your way?? Why does he have to contribute to fund programs he doesn't support, like planned parenthood and Solyndra like failings??

What if I just took a part of your income and told you where I wanted it spent???

If someone wants to be leader of the free world and they are exploiting this, or exploiting anything as a matter of fact, I don’t want him leading the free world!

Its as simple as that.

Do you think it's ethical that hedge fund tycoons are effectively allowed to lie about the source of their income? Carried interest, in the context of a hedge fund, is labor income to the management. That they're allowed to claim it's a capital gain is theft.

You could do the exact same thing they do, you just don't know how and it p*sses you off they earn more than you do, just tell the truth.

Its as simple as that.

I could not agree more. That is something I wish Romney/Obama would address but both have avoided it.

LOL - I have nothing against flat screen TVs or catherdrals in Salt lake City.
But when one of our wealthiest citizens pays 14% in taxes, can you really - with a straight face - continue to argue that we are taxing the rich to death? That we need MORE tax relief for the wealthiest?

I agree with you. I was making a joke about the idea that building a bunch of gaudy building is charitable.

Yeah, because humans should hovel in Quanset huts to worship.
The extent of arrogance of people who think they have the right to tell people how to spend their own money slays me.

You're the one telling people how to spend their money, since I get taxed on income if I use it for consumption, but he does not get taxed on his income if his consumption is buying the favor of the Lords of Kolob.

You could do the exact same thing they do, you just don't know how and it p*sses you off they earn more than you do, just tell the truth.

The truth is you have no idea what you're talking about. You can't just launder labor income and make it carried interest. It doesn't work that way.

The truth is you have no idea what you're talking about. You can't just launder labor income and make it carried interest. It doesn't work that way.

You can invest money, any time you want. Heck you could save a penny or two and buy some of those funds you're dissing. Face it, you're jealous you're not smart enough to make your money work for you.

Why shouldn't Romney have to live up to the same standards as every other presidential candidate?

Because your not rational thinking this way or been reasonable, process and rules if applicable should not apply equally. That would skirt around democracy implied concepts.

I could not agree more. That is something I wish Romney/Obama would address but both have avoided it.

Obama hasn't avoided it. Hedge funds have good lobbyists, but it's taxing carried interest at ordinary income rates has been in the President's budget proposal every year he's been in office.

Obama hasn't avoided it. Hedge funds have good lobbyists, but it's taxing carried interest at ordinary income rates has been in the President's budget proposal every year he's been in office.

I don't hold much stock in either the Ryan budget or the presidents as both are totally partisan and were written knowing they were just words on paper, and would never see the light of day.

You can invest money, any time you want. Heck you could save a penny or two and buy some of those funds you're dissing. Face it, you're jealous you're not smart enough to make your money work for you.

I can (and do) invest, but I have to pay ordinary individual income tax on the initial money, then pay the capital gains rate on the gains. Carried interest allows tycoons to pay capital gains rates on the initial money. It's not about intelligence. If I claimed my ordinary income was carried interest, I would end up in federal prison for tax fraud. Regular, ordinary folks don't have access to hedge funds. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Dang, y'all what's 14% of five million???? Then add the charitable contributions on top of that.

A charitable contribution is not equivalent to paying tax. It's not a substitute for paying taxes. We don't pick and choose which programs our tax dollars go to fund like you do with charitable contributions.

Charitable contributions are great. I applaud them and I applaud those who make them. But they aren't funding our nation's needs with them.

14% is NOT overtaxing the rich. I think many will believe that we can expect a bigger contribution from our wealthiest Americans. Especially when folks who make a lot less, pay a higher effective tax rate.

Why is funding government waste better than charitable contributions. Why do you get to tell Romney how to spend his money????

If you look at the $$$$$ you will find Romney paid a heck of a lot more than Biden and he also donated a lot more than Biden.

Why can't he use the "legal substitute" the way he wants?? Why does he have to do it your way?? Why does he have to contribute to fund programs he doesn't support, like planned parenthood and Solyndra like failings??

What if I just took a part of your income and told you where I wanted it spent???

I guess this is the only one of my posts you read because I addressed most of what you question in other posts. Hate to re-hash, but taxes are - by definition - the government taking our money and spending it on stuff we may or may not approve of. Solyndra is a terrific example of something that chaps my butt.

I don't blame anyone for taking every legal deduction they are entitled to - I think they're dumb if they don't.

My point is that you cannot argue - with a straight face - that we "overtax" the rich when our wealthiest (or at least one of them) is paying 14%.

Its as simple as that.

Oh, I thought we were talking specifically about Mitt, I didn't know we had hedge fund tycoons in the conversation. I'm trying to stay on topic, but obviously you're just too fast for me. :eusa_whistle:

I don't hold much stock in either the Ryan budget or the presidents as both are totally partisan and were written knowing they were just words on paper, and would never see the light of day.

THAT's the biggest problem I have with 90% of what is going on in Washington right now. It's not about governing well, it's about "going on the record" and construction legislation in a way that is designed to embarass the other guys rather than do the best you can for our nation.

Forum List

Back