Mitt Romney: This is why the GOP believes in family values

Mitt Romney gave a speech at Liberty University. He cited a Brookings Institute study. If a person graduates high school, gets a job, gets married and then has a child; the odds he will be poor is two percent. If those factors are not in place, it is 76 percent!

So next time, Dems give you sheeot about pimping family values, tell them to stuff it. They are important and absolutely need to be a part of the political discourse.

Short Video Link: Mitt Romney tells Liberty grads to honor family commitments - The Washington Post

Full Speech

[youtube]muHK5Hqgar8[/youtube]

Rick Santorum said "education is for snobs".

House GOP Unveils Plan To Cut NPR, Job Training And Education Programs

Seems like Mitt is campaigning against his own party.

Rick Santorum is an idiot. I would have had a hard time voting for him had he won the election. I likely would have voted Libertarian.

I could not support Santorum. Too much hypocrisy in his past and he is a big government Republican.
But he is not an idiot. He came from 2% in the polls to getting 40% of the vote in some states.

Getting an education helps job prospects...check

A job keeps you from being poor (most of the time)...check

Having kids helps you from being poor? On what planet? (married or not.)

My nephew and his wife were foreclosed on recently and filed for bankruptcy.
So what do they do? Get pregnant with their third child.
Irresponsibility causes poverty.

Romney giving a political speech at Liberty University on family values suggests he supports a return to the American Taliban movement started by Pat Robertson (Regent University) and Jerry Falwell (Liberty University) - two very dangerous bigots.

All of us should remember how Monica Goodling vetted US Attorney's, how Jerry Falwell preached hate and how Pat Robertson proselytized, the overt bigotry at Bob Jones University and how the Mormon Church's funded the rights of same-sex couple to marry.

All done on the tax payers dime (Goodling was paid and the rest received Non-Profit tax exemptions) while engaging in political activity in violation of the law. Family values indeed.

Last edited:
I could not support Santorum. Too much hypocrisy in his past and he is a big government Republican.
But he is not an idiot. He came from 2% in the polls to getting 40% of the vote in some states.

A big government Republican? You are not really going to attempt to try to tell me that there is any other kind of Republican?

Immie

Romney giving a political speech at Liberty University on family values suggests he supports a return to the American Taliban movement started by Pat Robertson (Regent University) and Jerry Falwell (Liberty University) - two very dangerous bigots.

All of us should remember how Monica Goodling vetted US Attorney's, how Jerry Falwell preached hate and how Pat Robertson proselytized, the overt bigotry at Bob Jones University and how the Mormon Church's funded the rights of same-sex couple to marry.

All done on the tax payers dime (Goodling was paid and the rest received Non-Profit tax exemptions) while engaging in political activity in violation of the law. Family values indeed.

Mormons were persecuted by the likes of Falwell and Robertson.
This was all about politics. Romney is a moderate on religion, same as most Mormons.
The Mormons I know are some of the best folks around. Good family people that are not judgemental.

This was all about politics. Romney is a moderate on religion, same as most Mormons.
The Mormons I know are some of the best folks around. Good family people that are not judgmental.

I have no problems nor biases against Mormons, per se; I object to bureaucratic religions in general and vehemently oppose organized religion receiving tax exemptions. The examples I posted (and I can post more specific examples by quotes from Falwell and Robertson - Goodling's actions are well known - if necessary) are extremes and Romney speaking at Liberty U. (yes it is political, on that we can agree) reinforces the inherent bigotry in those organizations and in the Social Conservative movement both act in a manner unlike anything Jesus Christ preached, IMO.

That said, the Mormons I know are as you described, yet, the organization which they support funded with thier Tieth political activity depriving gay and lesbian couples of the right to marry (Prop. 8).

"A new report published by The Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law titled “Poverty in the Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Community” examines for the first time poverty rates within the LGB community and finds that lesbian, gay, and bisexual same-sex couples are at least as likely—and at times more likely—to be poor than married heterosexual couples.

Gay men are sometimes poorer and sometimes less poor than heterosexual men, but stunning findings show that lesbian women across data sets are consistently poorer than their heterosexual counterparts. The National Survey of Family Growth found that, 24 percent of lesbian and bisexual women between the ages of 18-44 are living in poverty in contrast to only 19 percent of heterosexual women. Yet NSFG data shows that gay and heterosexual men have relatively equal poverty rates: fifteen and 13 percent, respectively."

Poverty in the LGBT Community

"A new report published by The Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law titled “Poverty in the Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Community” examines for the first time poverty rates within the LGB community and finds that lesbian, gay, and bisexual same-sex couples are at least as likely—and at times more likLyn Shimuzu, left, and her partner, Silvia Castellanos, right, play with a train set with their children, 6-year-old twins Che, left, and Liana, right, at their home in San Francisco. Recent data has found that denying LGBT people equal access to family benefits and other civil rights may be contributing to higher poverty rates in the LGBT community than in the general population overall.ely—to be poor than married heterosexual couples.

Gay men are sometimes poorer and sometimes less poor than heterosexual men, but stunning findings show that lesbian women across data sets are consistently poorer than their heterosexual counterparts. The National Survey of Family Growth found that, 24 percent of lesbian and bisexual women between the ages of 18-44 are living in poverty in contrast to only 19 percent of heterosexual women. Yet NSFG data shows that gay and heterosexual men have relatively equal poverty rates: fifteen and 13 percent, respectively."

From your link: Lyn Shimuzu, left, and her partner, Silvia Castellanos, right, play with a train set with their children, 6-year-old twins Che, left, and Liana, right, at their home in San Francisco. Recent data has found that denying LGBT people equal access to family benefits and other civil rights may be contributing to higher poverty rates in the LGBT community than in the general population overall.

Your inference that being Gay or Lesbian is the cause of poverty may not be accurate. Response?

The Mormons I know are some of the best folks around. Good family people that are not judgemental.

Mormons weren't persecuted.

They just wore out their welcome everywhere they went.

Let's review, shall we.

New York- Smith and his band of followers engaged in all sorts of scams. Smith was convicted in 1825 of fraud and fled the state.

Ohio- Smith and his bunch formed a bank, based on showing potential investors strongboxes of gold in Kirtland, OH. Except the strongboxes were actually full of sand with a layer of gold coins spread on top. The bank went bust in 1837 with the Great Panic, and the Mormons were run out of the state.

Missouri- Mormons tried to do the Politics thing here. So they seized control of three counties by sending out gangs of thugs called Danites to intimidate their neighbors. Eventually, their neighbors fought back, and the Governor expelled them from the state.

Illinois- Ah, yes, back up to their old trick. Raising a private Army, closing down newspapers that said bad things about Joseph Smith. Not to mention marrying 30 women. FInally his neighbors got fed up and shot him.

Utah- Well, they tried to seize some land from Mexico. But Mexico surrendered that land to the US. New Cult Leader Brigham Young tried to set up a theocracy. Then they tried to go to war with the United States in 1857, killing 150 members of the Francher Pioneer Party.

So, please, I don't want to hear any whining about how the poor Mormons were oppressed. They tried to pull that sort of shit today, they'd all be in Gitmo.

I take issue with the idea that anyone thinks it's a big revelation that graduating from HS will mean you'll get a better job, or that having a job means you're less likely to be poor.

The point, of course, is the deviant family-destructive behavior Lefty supports and pretends to be normal is quite likely to land a person in poverty.

Conservatives want to cut educational assistance, and cut healthcare for poor kids. What kind of behaviour does that encourage?

Personal responsibility. An alien concept to somebody such as yourself.

Mitt Romney gave a speech at Liberty University. He cited a Brookings Institute study. If a person graduates high school, gets a job, gets married and then has a child; the odds he will be poor is two percent. If those factors are not in place, it is 76 percent!

So next time, Dems give you sheeot about pimping family values, tell them to stuff it. They are important and absolutely need to be a part of the political discourse.

Short Video Link: Mitt Romney tells Liberty grads to honor family commitments - The Washington Post

Full Speech

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-CAcdta_8I]Falwell and Robertson on The 700 Club after 9/11 - YouTube[/ame]

That's one cool cat..

That's great!
So in order to improve our economy, we need to make sure that gay people can get married and adopt!
Thanks for pointing that out! Great post!

"A new report published by The Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law titled “Poverty in the Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Community” examines for the first time poverty rates within the LGB community and finds that lesbian, gay, and bisexual same-sex couples are at least as likely—and at times more likely—to be poor than married heterosexual couples.

Poverty statistics in America are a joke no matter what your sexuality is.

Full Speech

And if before he, "graduates high school, gets a job, gets married and then has a child, he and several friends can assault another student so he can grow up not poor and laugh about the incident as if it were a childish prank.

So....you're concerned about an apocryphal tale of a hair-cutting incident....but you voted for a rapist irrational corrupt grifter for President of the United States....

....you must be a Liberal...am I right?

New Topics

Forum List

Back