Mitt Romney should donate a few million to help people hurting from Sandy!

Sorry Matthew, but this is what Romney does with "charity"...

In 1997, Congress cracked down on a popular tax shelter that allowed rich people to take advantage of the exempt status of charities without actually giving away much money.

Individuals who had already set up these vehicles were allowed to keep them. That included Mitt Romney, then the chief executive officer of Bain Capital, who had just established such an arrangement in June 1996. [...]

In this instance, Romney used the tax-exempt status of a charity — the Mormon Church, according to a 2007 filing — to defer taxes for more than 15 years. At the same time he is benefitting, the trust will probably leave the church with less than what current law requires, according to tax returns obtained by Bloomberg this month through a Freedom of Information Act request.

In general, charities don’t owe capital gains taxes when they sell assets for a profit. Trusts like Romney’s permit funders to benefit from that tax-free treatment, said Jonathan Blattmachr, a trusts and estates lawyer who set up hundreds of such vehicles in the 1990s. [...]

Romney’s CRUT, which is only a small part of the $250 million that Romney’s campaign cites as his net worth, has been paying him 8 percent of its assets each year. As the Romneys have received these payments, the money that will potentially be left for charity has declined from at least $750,000 in 2001 to $421,203 at the end of 2011.

About those charitable donations...

Seriously... a left wing hack blog? No wonder you're a fucking idiot... you really need to source your opinions better.

Over $4 million in 2011.... the majority of it to causes unrelated to his faith. Let me know when you find a Democrat who can match that figure... and also, let me know which of your assclowns does not claim ALL the charitable donations they are entitled to on their tax returns, specifically to not minimize their tax burden.

Fucking hack.

Oops... I don't have a super secret source like Glen Beck. :lol: Aren't you the same person that was giving me shit the other day for not buying crap peddled by Breitbart? The "hack blog" provided you the sourcing...from Bloomberg had you bothered. Sorry it wasn't someplace reputable like Breitbart or Beck. :lol:

fstdt-pot-kettle5.jpg

LoneLoser struggles to comprehend that I couldn't give a shit what some ranting racist thinks Mitt should do. I would be incredibly surprised if Mitt announced how much he's donated... he has a history of not announcing his charitable works. I see no reason why he should change that now - particularly since the left would hang him for it. I can see the headlines now "Romney tries to buy voters" blah blah blah.

Romney walks the talk, that is why liberals can't stand him.

Well said!

It is EXACTLY Mitt's steadfastness that we really dislike about him. You can count on Mitt doing precisely what he says he is going to do. Liberals hate that.

Oh, did I mention that the liberal left doesn't really understand generosity and charity unless it comes from the government taking it from someone else?

The best thing Romney can do for the victims of Sandy is win the election. There is absolutely NO reason to reward Obama for what he has done to this country over the last 4 disasterous years, none nada zip.

In 1997, Congress cracked down on a popular tax shelter that allowed rich people to take advantage of the exempt status of charities without actually giving away much money.

Individuals who had already set up these vehicles were allowed to keep them. That included Mitt Romney, then the chief executive officer of Bain Capital, who had just established such an arrangement in June 1996. [...]

In this instance, Romney used the tax-exempt status of a charity — the Mormon Church, according to a 2007 filing — to defer taxes for more than 15 years. At the same time he is benefitting, the trust will probably leave the church with less than what current law requires, according to tax returns obtained by Bloomberg this month through a Freedom of Information Act request.

In general, charities don’t owe capital gains taxes when they sell assets for a profit. Trusts like Romney’s permit funders to benefit from that tax-free treatment, said Jonathan Blattmachr, a trusts and estates lawyer who set up hundreds of such vehicles in the 1990s. [...]

Romney’s CRUT, which is only a small part of the $250 million that Romney’s campaign cites as his net worth, has been paying him 8 percent of its assets each year. As the Romneys have received these payments, the money that will potentially be left for charity has declined from at least $750,000 in 2001 to $421,203 at the end of 2011.

Seriously... a left wing hack blog? No wonder you're a fucking idiot... you really need to source your opinions better.

Over $4 million in 2011.... the majority of it to causes unrelated to his faith. Let me know when you find a Democrat who can match that figure... and also, let me know which of your assclowns does not claim ALL the charitable donations they are entitled to on their tax returns, specifically to not minimize their tax burden.

Fucking hack.

Oops... I don't have a super secret source like Glen Beck. :lol: Aren't you the same person that was giving me shit the other day for not buying crap peddled by Breitbart? The "hack blog" provided you the sourcing...from Bloomberg had you bothered. Sorry it wasn't someplace reputable like Breitbart or Beck. :lol:

fstdt-pot-kettle5.jpg

Ooops..... repeating bullshit does not make it any less bullshit. Fact... Romney donated over $4 million last year. Fact... he did not declare all his donations for taxes. Fact... not one fucking Democrat has matched that. Not. One. Regardless of their wealth, they are no where close to as charitable as Romney. Like it or not, the facts will remain the facts.

You are not entitled to make up facts.

And... for the record, I don't use Beck, Brietbart, Fox, MSNBC, CNN, NYT, HuffPuff, WashPo or any other 'source' to inform me. Unlike you, I prefer my information to be information, not opinion.

This is inaccurate and misleading. John Podhoretz, in a recent article titled "Romney the Giver":

But the release of these tax records leaves no doubt about one thing: Mitt Romney is an extraordinarily, remarkably, astonishingly generous man. . . .

You will hear it said, by people who are either ignorant or have an axe to grind, that the charitable deduction is a tax shelter. It is anything but.

Shelters are investments that work to protect money from being taxed by the government. In effect, every dollar in them is put there either so that it can earn money or so that it can be used to lower a person’s tax burden.

Now consider the dollar given to charity. If you’re Mitt Romney, your dollar would be taxed at a rate of 35 percent by the federal government — the highest rate. When you give that dollar to charity, you are, in effect, excused from paying 35 cents of it to the government.

But here’s the key: You don’t get the other 65 cents back.

If you simply kept that dollar for yourself and paid tax on it, you’d still have 65 cents of it in the bank.

By giving that dollar away to charity, you lose that 65 cents entirely. It goes to the charity, as does the 35 cents you’d have paid to the IRS. (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/romney_the_giver_7nLMOZGuIo2zq1LmrNInjN)​

Also, Romney has donated 10% of his gross income to the Mormon Church for decades, and has given 1-2% of his income to the Mormon Church's "fast offering" fund, 99% of which goes directly to people in need.

Last edited:

Fucking hack.

fstdt-pot-kettle5.jpg

Ooops..... repeating bullshit does not make it any less bullshit. Fact... Romney donated over $4 million last year. Fact... he did not declare all his donations for taxes. Fact... not one fucking Democrat has matched that. Not. One. Regardless of their wealth, they are no where close to as charitable as Romney. Like it or not, the facts will remain the facts.

And... for the record, I don't use Beck, Brietbart, Fox, MSNBC, CNN, NYT, HuffPuff, WashPo or any other 'source' to inform me. Unlike you, I prefer my information to be information, not opinion.

Fact, Romney is using charity to funnel money through...it was legal, but now we call it money laundering...Willard just got himself one of those famous loopholes.

No, you don't use sites like those, you just give crap to people who dismiss them as invalid sources or you allude to a super secret video you saw that you simply can't post on the internet...because it DID come from Beck. :lol:

You're the hackiest of hacks because you have no self awareness. I know I'm a partisan hack...but we all know you are too.

fstdt-pot-kettle5.jpg

Fact, Romney is using charity to funnel money through...it was legal, but now we call it money laundering...Willard just got himself one of those famous loopholes.

No, you don't use sites like those, you just give crap to people who dismiss them as invalid sources or you allude to a super secret video you saw that you simply can't post on the internet...because it DID come from Beck. :lol:

You're the hackiest of hacks because you have no self awareness. I know I'm a partisan hack...but we all know you are too.

I'm a Romney supporter... first time ever that I voted GOP. Hardly a 'hack'... I tend to march to my own drum, I don't do partisan politics. I decide on issues - unlike hacks. That's why you are a hack and I am not. I cannot abide political parties... I think they are divisive and bad for the country. I put my country first... I don't vote on 'revenge'.

I'm a Romney supporter... first time ever that I voted GOP. Hardly a 'hack'... I tend to march to my own drum, I don't do partisan politics. I decide on issues - unlike hacks. That's why you are a hack and I am not. I cannot abide political parties... I think they are divisive and bad for the country. I put my country first... I don't vote on 'revenge'.

Like I said...no self awareness.

Like I said...no self awareness.

Like I said... hack.

And... I would add.... fucking moron.

Ohh the Mormon church is all over NJ helping people.

The left wing media will not report it.

The Mormon Church is actually helping people across the affected area. As is the Catholic Church... and a wide variety of other churches... and other faiths.... that's par for the course.

There is no reason for the media to report it.

You are a dickhead.

When is obama gonna donate his first dollah!

Where's your dollah New Jersey, Staten Island?

Lets see. Obama could donate a million dollars or keep FEMA funded and functioning.

I wonder which one would have the most benefit for those affected by the storm?

MIttens could donate 50 million dollars (if he wanted to) and would defund FEMA and turn it over to the states.

Or Mitt could decide not to donate anything and still defund FEMA and turn it over to the states.

Would be interesting to know which one the storm victums would choose.

Lets see. Obama could donate a million dollars or keep FEMA funded and functioning.

I wonder which one would have the most benefit for those affected by the storm?

MIttens could donate 50 million dollars (if he wanted to) and would defund FEMA and turn it over to the states.

Or Mitt could decide not to donate anything and still defund FEMA and turn it over to the states.

Would be interesting to know which one the storm victums would choose.

FEMA is useless. It has done nothing. The sole function of FEMA is to maintain the FEMA bureaucracy.

At the risk of sounding like a left wing hack, what makes you think he has not donated? Honestly, I suspect that both Romney and Obama have donated privately.... because I think that both understand the suffering that our fellow Americans are going through. I would prefer not to know - because that way, I know that - assuming they have donated - that they have done so for the right reasons, instead of for PR.

Forum List

Back