Mitt Romney pays a lower tax rate than you do.

Why is EVERYONE so concerned with what someone else pays? Shouldn't you be focusing on what you pay and the validity of its fairness? The poor suck from our system while putting little into it so obviously a break here or there for the ones who actually pay is a okay with me.

All you leeches can suck it! Lol

I'm not a leech. I'm just someone that thinks all income should be taxed equally. Investment income should be taxed at the same rate as income earned by labor.

For as long as I can remember we paid the top percentage rate and lived very well, the constant apologies for wealth greed from the economic ideologues, who march like puppets, is a sad example of the loss of civic values in America. It seems sometimes that having things well only spoils the person, an odd predicament, the human is so simple a thing and often so irrational.

"Something is profoundly wrong with the way we live today. For thirty years we have made a virtue out of the pursuit of material self-interest: indeed, this very pursuit now constitutes whatever remains of our sense of collective purpose. We know what things cost but have no idea what they are worth. We no longer ask of a judicial ruling or a legislative act: is it good? Is it fair? Is it just? Is it right? Will it help bring about a better society or a better world? Those used to be the political questions, even if they invited no easy answers. We must learn once again to pose them." Tony Judt 'Ill Fares the Land'

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well." Tax cuts spur economic growth

Romney paid 15 percent.

Obama on his 2010 tax returns paid around 25 percent.

Basic tax rate for MOST Americans is around 28 percent.

Still think Romney is a good idea?

A guy who knows how to game the system by making sure all of his income is "capital gains". Was he supposed to ignore the rules that give him an advantage? Would you?

Gee, how many people do we have gaming the system these days?

Tens of millions. On both ends of the income spectrum, squeezing the shit out of the middle.

Not as many people as you think can game the system like that.

How many people do YOU know that make 50 percent of their income or more via capital gains? What's even more.........how many people do YOU know who pay 20 percent or less in taxes?

You are right except your final conclusion is wrong.

Romney shouldn't pay more. Everyone who does should PAY LESS.

Our govt is a thief. Fuck shrimp on a treadmill and other such nonsense. Send our money back!

Why is EVERYONE so concerned with what someone else pays? Shouldn't you be focusing on what you pay and the validity of its fairness? The poor suck from our system while putting little into it so obviously a break here or there for the ones who actually pay is a okay with me.

I'm not a leech. I'm just someone that thinks all income should be taxed equally. Investment income should be taxed at the same rate as income earned by labor.

So you like 9/9/9

So you like 9/9/9
No, I think the capital gains tax should be higher and the earned income tax should be lower. They should be the same.

9/9/9 will never fly because adding another 9% sales tax would be deadly for the economy.

Romney paid 15 percent.

Add in he made over 375K in speaking engagments alone in 2011 and counts that as "not much money". That's APART from his income from other sources.

Median income in the US is around 50K. So his "not much money" is many times the median.

Last edited:

Did you feign similar outrage when Kerry docked his million dollar toy in another state to avoid taxes?

Besides that, who cares? Romney RISKS his money to make money, thus growing jobs and future investments.

Jealous much?

He may have at one time. He doesn't now, but he's still taxed at the same rate. When he was operating Bain, there was an element of risk. Now he's got to have most parked in safe investments while he runs for president and to prepare for blind trusts, should he win.

So you like 9/9/9
No, I think the capital gains tax should be higher and the earned income tax should be lower. They should be the same.

9/9/9 will never fly because adding another 9% sales tax would be deadly for the economy.

Ah, well I'm not gonna dive any further into this topic cause the left and the right NEVER agree so its pretty pointless. I just believe that EVERYONE'S taxes should be lower and that its the govt that should be making the sacrifices not the people. Our govt is too fucking bloated.

Yep, Because his only income is from Capital gains.

You too can enjoy this low % when you see gains in your own Retirement Portfolio, It is not just for the rich.

Ask yourself this:

What percent of capital gains income in the United States applies to rich people, and what percent applies to everyone else?

If raising the Cap Gains rate negatively affects older people, then an exception can be made on retirement income.

The lefties want to end the Bush tax cuts to the rich....I get it already...
The lefties want a higher tax rate on top of that....?
The lefties want to raise the rate on Capital Gains?...Do I have that right?

And what do the Libs want to do with all this extra revenue?....

You guys know where I am most of the time....
I really want an answer on this.
You guys have been screaming like little school girls that you want the rich to pay their fair share....

Where does this extra revenue go?

Pay down the debt you little valley mall girls you ran up.

Ask yourself this:

What percent of capital gains income in the United States applies to rich people, and what percent applies to everyone else?

If raising the Cap Gains rate negatively affects older people, then an exception can be made on retirement income.

You guys have been screaming like little school girls that you want the rich to pay their fair share....

yeah right....liberals in office just want to raise taxes so they can "invest" more. All they talk about is sending kids to school, green energy, paying teachers and police, etc....All they talk about is spending more, and the fact we're even having a debate on spending more in this country is insaine.

yeah right....liberals in office just want to raise taxes so they can "invest" more. All they talk about is sending kids to school, green energy, paying teachers and police, etc....All they talk about is spending more, and the fact we're even having a debate on spending more in this country is insaine.

Then why is it..the deficit goes in to hyperspace when a Republican is President and it goes down when a Democrat is President?

300 Billion on a plane that was never deployed?
Untold billions spent on a weapons system, missile defense, that doesn't and never will work?

How about 2 instances of conquering nations..destroying them..and then building them back up? What's that? A few trillion?

Lest we forget the Department of Homeland Security and new Medicare entitlement.

:lol:

You guys are rich..

No.. we have plenty of your posting history to draw from...

You only believe in equality in treatment when it benefits you and your political cause... when it comes to treating someone unequally, as evidenced by the type of taxation scheme you repeatedly support, you abandon equality like a red headed step child

Says someone who advocates a flat tax. I know you work for the government and are a hypocrite, what do you know about me? Let's hear it. This should be good.

I know you're a leftist... and that is 1 more thing than you know about me

You see.. a flat tax is blind to situation, income, feelings, etc.. which is how it should be... not some subjective fairness bullshit that can be played for politics and used to pander for votes in class warfare rhetoric...

You sir, when you only advocate for equality in treatment when it benefits you, yet calls fir unequal treatment of others when it benefits you, are proven to be the hypocrite

Just like I thought. You have no idea who or what I am. Good job making an ass of yourself through sweeping generalizations. Go back to your government job hypocrite.

A flat tax is not blind to situation, we've established that. A progressive tax is however and everytime it's pointed out to you, you run away from the argument. You are actually typical of every nutter on this site. You have a loud mouth, obviously no basis for the arguments you make and a raging hypocrite with your government job. So it's pretty clear now that who knows more about who.

Romney paid 15 percent.

Add in he made over 375K in speaking engagments alone in 2011 and counts that as "not much money". That's APART from his income from other sources.

Median income in the US is around 50K. So his "not much money" is many times the median.

That's the median FAMILY income.

The median income for all workers in the USA is a measily, $21,000!

Of course that includes all workers, full time and part time.

STill, Mitt is, like so many other very wealthy people in the USA, is not really paying a very high rate of taxes on his total taxable income.

Throw in all the deductions from his income that most Americans don't get to deduct (like the cost of going to work) and I'll wager his real rate of taxation is even less that the 15% we're told it is.

Any of you who own your own business know what I mean about those deductions you can take that most working Americans workers can't take.

I'm not picking on Mitt here.

No doubt most memember sof Congress end up paying the same kind of very low rates after they deduct the "expenses".

Last edited:

Then why is it..the deficit goes in to hyperspace when a Republican is President and it goes down when a Democrat is President?

Untold billions spent on a weapons system, missile defense, that doesn't and never will work?

How about 2 instances of conquering nations..destroying them..and then building them back up? What's that? A few trillion?

Lest we forget the Department of Homeland Security and new Medicare entitlement.

You guys are rich..

Well fine, but don't say you guys want to raise taxes to cut the debt. Remember Obama's last attempt at raising taxes? "Pass this bill now" ring a bell? How on earth does that reduce any debt?

You guys are rich..

Well fine, but don't say you guys want to raise taxes to cut the debt. Remember Obama's last attempt at raising taxes? "Pass this bill now" ring a bell? How on earth does that reduce any debt?

More people working = Greater revenue. And in the long run infrastructure spending returns a profit.

You guys are rich..

More people working = Greater revenue. And in the long run infrastructure spending returns a profit.

doesn't work, but nice try....We pay entire salaries, so we can tax those salaries, and that's good for reducing the debt? C'mon Swallow.

Well, there's always that kind of tricky problem with taxes. I pay 12% on income tax, but 1% on Medicare tax (capped) 4% for social security (matched by 6% by my employer) and 5% in State Income tax here in IL. So my effective tax rate is 22%. I pay about $2200 in my two properties in propert tax, 10% sales tax on all consumer goods here in IL.

Now, not that I'm ever for cutting Romney any slack unless he was dangling over a mountain. To be fair, he paid the full tax when he initially earned his money, now he's just paying a capital gains tax on his previous investments.

I think this just shows why he is such a toxic candidate. There's a reason why Obama has made an issue of the "Buffet Tax". He knew he could beat Romne over the head with this sort of thing.

I'll give Romney credit, he's timing this perfectly. Let it out in dribs and drabs, release it in April after he's locked down the nomination, but it'll be old news by november.

He'll still lose.

Romney paid 15 percent.

That's the median FAMILY income.

The median income for all workers in the USA is a measily, $21,000!

Of course that includes all workers, full time and part time.

STill, Mitt is, like so many other very wealthy people in the USA, is not really paying a very high rate of taxes on his total taxable income.

Throw in all the deductions from his income that most Americans don't get to deduct (like the cost of going to work) and I'll wager his real rate of taxation is even less that the 15% we're told it is.

Any of you who own your own business know what I mean about those deductions you can take that most working Americans workers can't take.

I'm not picking on Mitt here.

No doubt most memember sof Congress end up paying the same kind of very low rates after they deduct the "expenses".

Mitt is like most of the super wealthy. If given a choice between earning money as a capital gain or as income, they will shift present it as a capital gain. The speaking engagements are just pocket change, barely worth mentioning

Mitt needs to man up and just say that's the way it is. He plays by the rules that have been established and breaks no law

But don't try to explain to someone trying to raise a family on $30,000 a year and paying full taxes that it is fair

Well, there's always that kind of tricky problem with taxes. I pay 12% on income tax, but 1% on Medicare tax (capped) 4% for social security (matched by 6% by my employer) and 5% in State Income tax here in IL. So my effective tax rate is 22%. I pay about $2200 in my two properties in propert tax, 10% sales tax on all consumer goods here in IL.

Now, not that I'm ever for cutting Romney any slack unless he was dangling over a mountain. To be fair, he paid the full tax when he initially earned his money, now he's just paying a capital gains tax on his previous investments.

I think this just shows why he is such a toxic candidate. There's a reason why Obama has made an issue of the "Buffet Tax". He knew he could beat Romne over the head with this sort of thing.

I'll give Romney credit, he's timing this perfectly. Let it out in dribs and drabs, release it in April after he's locked down the nomination, but it'll be old news by november.

He'll still lose.
No, he's paying capital gains tax on any money his old money earns. He is not paying tax on money he's already paid taxes on.

Forum List

Back