Mitt Romney Opposes the Tax Cut Bill

Unfortunately, quite a number of Republicans will go along with it. The 2% payroll reduction is nice, but still . . .

I agree as well. This compromise needs to be deep-sixed as does the spending bill that just came out. it's nothing more than more cloaked pork and the dying cry of a petulant Congress on their way out willing to do as much damage as they can upon their exodus.

We cannot afford it. Let's take it up in January when more adults are in charge.

And whom gives a tinker's damn if Government comes to a screeching halt? It will be a respit to this economy and the people of this nation.

I would love the gov't to come to a screeching halt.

It would give us time to catch our collective breath.

These bills are a travesty, and Congress should be ashamed of themselves, and that goes for any GOP's that go along with it.

Travesty is one word. I'd say more of a fuss fit from a bunch of petulant children that were told to go to their rooms permanently.

Last edited:
I agree with Romney. The bill is now a pile of crap. All that was needed was the extension of the tax rates - instead they've turned into a grab bag of giveaways and pork.

Exactly! Walk away and let the chips fall where they may. Fiscal responsible leaders will take our country back in `12 and lift it up. The voters are ready.
How is one fiscally responsible when they won't pay their debts?

I agree with Romney. The bill is now a pile of crap. All that was needed was the extension of the tax rates - instead they've turned into a grab bag of giveaways and pork.

^^^ This? Yup.

Ditto.

I like Romney and would vote for him if he makes it past the primaries.

I also like Mitch Daniels in Indiana but don't think he's interested in running.

Romey in 2012. I Like it.

Last edited:
Mitt Romney Opposes Tax Deal as Republicans Pick Sides - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Excerpt:

"Given the unambiguous message that the American people sent to Washington in November, it is difficult to understand how our political leaders could have reached such a disappointing agreement," Romney writes. "Of course, delay now is better than an immediate tax hike. But because the extension is only temporary, a large portion of the investment and job growth that characteristically accompanies low taxes will be lost."

Romney also criticized the cost of the deal, which is estimated at nearly $900 billion over two years. The package is not paid for. "What some are calling a grand compromise is not grand at all, except in its price tag," he wrote.

Very savvy political positioning. Oppose Stimulus II, then run against the 'Obama deficit' in 2012.

Romney just took a major leap into contention in 2012.

Mitt Romney Opposes Tax Deal as Republicans Pick Sides - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Excerpt:

"Given the unambiguous message that the American people sent to Washington in November, it is difficult to understand how our political leaders could have reached such a disappointing agreement," Romney writes. "Of course, delay now is better than an immediate tax hike. But because the extension is only temporary, a large portion of the investment and job growth that characteristically accompanies low taxes will be lost."

Romney also criticized the cost of the deal, which is estimated at nearly $900 billion over two years. The package is not paid for. "What some are calling a grand compromise is not grand at all, except in its price tag," he wrote.

Very savvy political positioning. Oppose Stimulus II, then run against the 'Obama deficit' in 2012.

No with the way the MA healthcare plan is working. It is seen as Obamacare at a State level. He will be forced to defende Obamacare and that is a death sentence during the Primaries!

^^^ This? Yup.

Ditto.

I like Romney and would vote for him if he makes it past the primaries.

I also like Mitch Daniels in Indiana but don't think he's interested in running.

Romey in 2012. I Like it.

Yeah, I would vote for Romney again. :):):)

No with the way the MA healthcare plan is working. It is seen as Obamacare at a State level. He will be forced to defende Obamacare and that is a death sentence during the Primaries!

and what's wrong with that picture... that a bill based on a repub's legislation gets vilified by repubs?

doesn't matter though, the "base" can't stand that he's a mormon.

and probably the best candidate the GOP has goes pop...

and what's wrong with that picture... that a bill based on a repub's legislation gets vilified by repubs?
Because Obaminationcare is not looking like the solution and few people are seeing anything better or different. Therefore, since he was the governor of the bill in which Obaminationcare was based off of, he will get crucified by the conservatives!

That is a load of shit and you know it! The Republican Base has no problem loving another great Morom ==> GLEN BECK!!!

Romney is still my man!

Watch out for Herman Cain, Susana Martinez and Eric Cantor (If he was running, it would be funny to watch 90% of American Jews vote agains him)!

Herman Cain, former Godfather’s Pizza CEO, is contemplating 2012 run | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment
Susana Martinez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Eric Cantor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excerpt:

That floating balloon will pop before the primaries begin; it's a non-issue. His religion is something else, though.

The Mass. health care is a non-starter for shooting down Romney. GOP will crucify Obama for it will accept with Romney, but the southern wing of evangelicals may once again end his attempt to win the nomination.

What a pile of baloney. Romney is a viable candidate and plenty of conservatives like him. His religion is a non-issue.

You wouldn't know the conservative "base" if they sent you a postcard with their names on it. :razz:

That floating balloon will pop before the primaries begin; it's a non-issue. His religion is something else, though.

Mormonism is an issue? With who?

Zander is correct above in essence. Southern evangelicals don't like Romney. That is why two different groups were running Thompson and Huckabee, who cancelled all three out, letting McCain in.

Romney is the best candidate by far with hopes of defeating Obama.

Mormonism is an issue? With who?

With 1) people who don't believe in magic, and 2) with people who have their version of magic.

Romney has a good chance of being an Eisenhower type Republican if he were elected, provided he doesn't get a Republican Senate and House.

Romney has a good chance of being an Eisenhower type Republican if he were elected, provided he doesn't get a Republican Senate and House.

That is why a divided government is preferred to the ideologues that want a unified one.

The Mass. health care is a non-starter for shooting down Romney. GOP will crucify Obama for it will accept with Romney, but the southern wing of evangelicals may once again end his attempt to win the nomination.

If the Southern Wing sunk Romney then Huckabee would have won the nomination! Instead McCain a still popular figure won!

Always trying to paint Republicans as racist is a weak arguement!

If the Southern Wing sunk Romney then Huckabee would have won the nomination! Instead McCain a still popular figure won!

Always trying to paint Republicans as racist is a weak arguement!

Read carefully not emotionally, please. Nothing I wrote, nor Jillian, indicted any racism. I stated that Huckabee and Thompson shot each other up trying to stop Romney; so the conservatives stopped themselves and McCain snuck in.

The issue with the GOP is not race but, instead, religious ignorance. Romney's religion will be an issue down here in the South. The mopes will act as if being a Mormon should exclude one from being president. Buncha mopes.

Forum List

Back