Mitt Romney... "My views are progressive".

I think the thing about Mitt Romney is that he's the kind of guy who markets his pitch to who he is trying to sell to... I don't think he has any core convictions.

When he ran in Just Massachusetts, he painted himself as a "progressive" and a "moderate", because that's how that state rolls. Personally, I suspect he's a bit more conservative than what he painted himself as.

When he went to the national stage, he changed his views because that's the audience he was pitching to, and because the "moderate" wing of the GOP was too crowded with McCain and Rudy having higher profiles, the "conservative" win looked like a place to set up.

It didn't work in 2008 because teh Evangelicals wouldn't trust a Mormon and conservatives actually had memories of his liberalism in Massachusetts.

Right now, he's trying to not be idealogical, and just pitch himself as "Mr. Fix it", who can beat Obama by being "electable".

And it looks like no one is buying this pitch, either...

newt flip flops too, they just forgive his flip flpops

I think it's more a matter of timing than idealogy in Newt's case.

Take his support for mandates. In 1993, when Hillary was threatening to inflict single payer on us, it looked like a reasonable option. Back in those oldy days, you could get a decent private policy for $1000.00. And after HillaryCare failed, they reached a comprimise deal called Kennedy-Kassembaum that helped with doing exactly that.

Today, an individual mandate is just simply unworkable, because a family health plan costs close to $10,000, which is hard when the median family income is 50,000. And that assumes there are no health issues involved.

Mitt's flip flops are nothing more than idealogy, and pandering to an audience. Newt's seem to be more of a guy who is willing to think outside the box and throw ideas out there.

Forum List

Back