Mitt Romney: Mothers Should Be Required To Work Outside Home Or Lose Benefits

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
Oops :lol:

WASHINGTON -- Women who stay at home to raise their children should be given federal assistance for child care so that they can enter the job market and "have the dignity of work," Mitt Romney said in January, undercutting the sense of extreme umbrage he showed when Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen quipped last week that Ann Romney had not "worked a day in her life."

The remark, made to a Manchester, N.H., audience, was unearthed by MSNBC's "Up w/Chris Hayes," and will air during the 8 a.m. hour of his show Sunday.

Ann Romney and her husband's campaign fired back hard at Rosen following her remark. "I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys. Believe me, it was hard work," Romney said on Twitter.

Mitt Romney, however, judging by his January remark, views stay-at-home moms who are supported by federal assistance much differently than those backed by hundreds of millions in private equity income. Poor women, he said, shouldn't be given a choice, but instead should be required to work outside the home to receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families benefits. "[E]ven if you have a child 2 years of age, you need to go to work," Romney said of moms on TANF.

Recalling his effort as governor to increase the amount of time women on welfare in Massachusetts were required to work, Romney noted that some had considered his proposal "heartless," but he argued that the women would be better off having "the dignity of work" -- a suggestion Ann Romney would likely take issue with.

So you in your abject stupidity don't think able bodied people should WORK for the money they receive? I worked for my money. So should they.

• Banned
So you in your abject stupidity don't get the irony? Remember, Obama hates stay-at-home moms because some political pundit who doesn't work for his campaign said that Ann Romney never worked a day in her life. It was (and probably still is) all over Fox News; there are how many threads about it on USMB?

But I though being a mother WAS the hardest work on the planet...everyone says so.

Isn't it the most honorable work on the planet, raising the next generation of children? Don't we want to encourage more parental involvement?

Let's take a working poor family. Father works two jobs. Neither of his jobs provide healthcare for him and his family. They are poor enough to qualify for assistance so let's require the mother to work (despite having a young child) to "pay" for those benefits this family needs in order to survive.

So now, the mother has to work just to pay for the daycare. This puts them just over the poverty level and no longer qualify for the benefits. Mother must go to work full time to make up for it and viola, we've created another latchkey kid that doesn't get help with their homework, fails in class and can never pull themselves out of poverty. Brilliant!

Liberals think that Temporary Assistance to Needy Families actually means Permanent Assistance to Sit On Your Ass.

So you in your abject stupidity don't get the irony? Remember, Obama hates stay-at-home moms because some political pundit who doesn't work for his campaign said that Ann Romney never worked a day in her life. It was (and probably still is) all over Fox News; there are how many threads about it on USMB?

that big mouthed dummy should have kept her wide assed big mouth shut. and he needs to invite her to the wh 35 more time don't he?

WASHINGTON -- Women who stay at home to raise their children should be given federal assistance for child care so that they can enter the job market and "have the dignity of work," Mitt Romney said in January, undercutting the sense of extreme umbrage he showed when Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen quipped last week that Ann Romney had not "worked a day in her life."

The remark, made to a Manchester, N.H., audience, was unearthed by MSNBC's "Up w/Chris Hayes," and will air during the 8 a.m. hour of his show Sunday.

Ann Romney and her husband's campaign fired back hard at Rosen following her remark. "I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys. Believe me, it was hard work," Romney said on Twitter.

Mitt Romney, however, judging by his January remark, views stay-at-home moms who are supported by federal assistance much differently than those backed by hundreds of millions in private equity income. Poor women, he said, shouldn't be given a choice, but instead should be required to work outside the home to receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families benefits. "[E]ven if you have a child 2 years of age, you need to go to work," Romney said of moms on TANF.

Recalling his effort as governor to increase the amount of time women on welfare in Massachusetts were required to work, Romney noted that some had considered his proposal "heartless," but he argued that the women would be better off having "the dignity of work" -- a suggestion Ann Romney would likely take issue with.

You just couldn't make this shit up.

It's to much!

:D

:thewave:

Romney's handing this election to Obama.

But I though being a mother WAS the hardest work on the planet...everyone says so.

Isn't it the most honorable work on the planet, raising the next generation of children? Don't we want to encourage more parental involvement?

Let's take a working poor family. Father works two jobs. Neither of his jobs provide healthcare for him and his family. They are poor enough to qualify for assistance so let's require the mother to work (despite having a young child) to "pay" for those benefits this family needs in order to survive.

So now, the mother has to work just to pay for the daycare. This puts them just over the poverty level and no longer qualify for the benefits. Mother must go to work full time to make up for it and viola, we've created another latchkey kid that doesn't get help with their homework, fails in class and can never pull themselves out of poverty. Brilliant!

maybe they should have figured out the couldn't afford children BEFORE they had children.. why should society pay for them to have children?

maybe they should have figured out the couldn't afford children BEFORE they had children.. why should society pay for them to have children?

Oh, they did. He used to have a really good paying Union job at Ampad...

On one hand you want the government force women who are pregnant to carry them to term..and on the other hand you want the government to abandon them once they are born..

Charles Dickens would have a field day with your type.

On one hand you want the government force women who are pregnant to carry them to term..and on the other hand you want the government to abandon them once they are born..

the fundamental question is why should hard working Federal Income Tax Payers pay for people to have children? it's not society's faulth that you have children you cannot afford,, and NO government should not pay for your damn condoms and birth control pills either.

the fundamental question is why should hard working Federal Income Tax Payers pay for people to have children? it's not society's faulth that you have children you cannot afford,, and NO government should not pay for your damn condoms and birth control pills either.

Well why should the federal government pay for executives to fly around the world in first class?
Or go to baseball games?
Or eat at 5 star restaurants?
Or go to plays?
Or go to strip clubs?
Or stay at the best hotels?

Me? I'd rather feed kids who have trouble getting a meal.

With regards to welfare assistance he is absolutely correct. If the choice is work or welfare- The entitlement mentality that lays claim to the income of others has become a malignant cancer that creates malaise. I too support child care assistance to get people working-

Ann Romney is not asking for others to pay for her choice. Other couples who can likewise make their own sacrifices to have a parent at home are not asking others to pay for it. Your post here demonstrates a ridiculous inability to understand the difference.

Well why should the federal government pay for executives to fly around the world in first class?
Or go to baseball games?
Or eat at 5 star restaurants?
Or go to plays?
Or go to strip clubs?
Or stay at the best hotels?

Me? I'd rather feed kids who have trouble getting a meal.

did you send a memo to michelle?

Forum List

Back