Mitt Romney Moderate?

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
While I tend to disagree with several of Mitt Romney's current stances on such things are economic policy and Defense. It's my humble opinion that the last two Presidents, no matter how well meaning have been divisive figures and have offered little in terms of bringing this nation into a sound future. Having watched the Romney campaign for a little while now, I tend to believe that a lot of his current stances are based more on keeping the far right of the party in the fold, as well as tea party voters, so that turnout will remain high for those anti President Obama voters. Having said this, Mitt Romney's governing style tends to be based on past history more moderate than conservative and it's my belief that he will be less a divisive figure than former President Bush or President Obama. Given these factors, if he should become POTUS, his election may not be such a bad thing for this nation as the talking heads tend to think it is. Still further, given that Congress may not change all that much in terms of membership, even if elected the programs that people like or dislike on both sides of the Isle will not disolve overnight. Perhaps the best thing for our nation is that those we elect begin to realize, no matter what the political belief is that they serve those who elect them and not those who pay for their campaigns or those that happen to be able to send them on the latest Golf outing or honor whatever pledge they sign. Then perhaps we can eventually start taking on the hard tasks of getting this nation where it needs to be, back being the world leader it once was.

Last edited:
Socially he's a LIBERAL(leftist). No way in hell do you run left of Kennedy on gay rights, abortion and be a moderate. On business he's a moderate to right of center.

Seriously, Obama was one of the most left wing senators in US history, socially. If the center knew the true feelings of Romney and Obama they'd go third party.

Last edited:
Socially he's a LIBERAL(leftist). No way in hell do you run left of Kennedy on gay rights, abortion and be a moderate. On business he's a moderate to right of center.

Seriously, Obama was one of the most left wing senators in US history socially. If the center knew the true feelings of Romney and Obama they'd go third party.

He was as Governor, because he was in Massachusetts.

He's political tofu...he tastes like whatever you put him with. :thup:

Are Republicans really naive enough to think that they can make war on women, Hispanics, blacks, alternate life styles, the poor, suppress voting rights, give massive tax breaks to robber barons while eliminating safety nets for the middle class and get absolutely no resistance?

I agree 100%

He is, in every way I can determine, a moderate. And I pray I'm not wrong. I also believe you're right in seeing the divisiveness that has been created and grown to an unacceptable level over the past decade and more.

We have seen the extremes in both parties more than willing to battle to the bitter end for ideals that are not, and never have been, supported by the majority of the country. We are, and always have been, a reasonably moderate bunch of people no matter which party, if any, we support.

We do not need another neo-con or progressive liberal keeping things stirred up while accomplishing nothing. We need a moderate who knows how to work with both sides and who recognizes and understands the seriousness of our problems.

Someone with the ability to get people of differing opinions talking to each other in order to reach agreement. It's called compromise.

Romney would not have been as successful in business as he has been without that ability.

I agree 100%

He is, in every way I can determine, a moderate. And I pray I'm not wrong. I also believe you're right in seeing the divisiveness that has been created and grown to an unacceptable level over the past decade and more.

We have seen the extremes in both parties more than willing to battle to the bitter end for ideals that are not, and never have been, supported by the majority of the country. We are, and always have been, a reasonably moderate bunch of people no matter which party, if any, we support.

We do not need another neo-con or progressive liberal keeping things stirred up while accomplishing nothing. We need a moderate who knows how to work with both sides and who recognizes and understands the seriousness of our problems.

Someone with the ability to get people of differing opinions talking to each other in order to reach agreement. It's called compromise.

Romney would not have been as successful in business as he has been without that ability.

The other thing of note here too, today's Republican party is not the same as it was even 4 years ago or for that matter when Mitt Romney ran for Gov. Today a candidate for the Republican nomination cannot appear moderate in order to get enough votes from the base to secure the nomination nor can he or she ever hope to get enough financial support from the sheer number of groups in the party that have so many varied interests. The day's of Ronald Reagan's " thou shalt not speak badly of a fellow Republican" are over. and given this atmosphere it makes sense that a candidate will adjust his postitions accordingly. Now as I mentioned above, his support of Rep. Paul Ryans plan and his sheer lack of foreign policy experience makes him less attractive. Having said this though, given the atmosphere in Congress, even if he were to govern from the far right, he would be on the other side of a Congress unwilling to work with him and we would be facing another 4 years like the last 4, so perhaps be it Mitt Romney, or President Obama, the next 4 years might find a Govt. more willing to work to find solutions that benefit this nation and the people in it rather than spending time seeing which side wins the latest ratings war in the cable news network.

Last edited:
I agree 100%

The other thing of note here too, today's Republican party is not the same as it was even 4 years ago or for that matter when Mitt Romney ran for Gov. Today a candidate for the Republican nomination cannot appear moderate in order to get enough votes from the base to secure the nomination nor can he or she ever hope to get enough financial support from the sheer number of groups in the party that have so many varied interests. The day's of Ronald Reagan's " thou shalt not speak badly of a fellow Republican" are over. and given this atmosphere it makes sense that a candidate will adjust his postitions accordingly. Now as I mentioned above, his support of Rep. Paul Ryans plan and his sheer lack of foreign policy experience makes him less attractive. Having said this though, given the atmosphere in Congress, even if he were to govern from the far right, he would be on the other side of a Congress unwilling to work with him and we would be facing another 4 years like the last 4, so perhaps be it Mitt Romney, or President Obama, the next 4 years might find a Govt. more willing to work to find solutions that benefit this nation and the people in it rather than spending time seeing which side wins the latest ratings war in the cable news network.

CEO's are rarely known for their ability to work with "the other side" since there is no "other side". You don't see Target working with Wal Mart very often for example.

I will agree that Romney is a moderate. A tried and true moderate. He was nominated because the TEA party parasite has painted their host organism into a corner. The majority of republicans took a look at Santorum who apparently feels the earth is a few millennia old, Rick Perry who wanted to go back into Iraq for some reason, Newt Gingrich who can't be taken seriously as a politician or an adult. He was nominated because the majority of Republican voters knew that he had the only shot of the candidates who ran to beat Obama (outside of Huntsman who was apparently not interested in running).

He'll be pushed toward his donors wishes; whose intentions are anything but moderate. Something to keep in mind if you're hoping to replace Obama with a "moderate".

Frankly, Obama is the more moderate of the two men.

I agree 100%

CEO's are rarely known for their ability to work with "the other side" since there is no "other side". You don't see Target working with Wal Mart very often for example.

I will agree that Romney is a moderate. A tried and true moderate. He was nominated because the TEA party parasite has painted their host organism into a corner. The majority of republicans took a look at Santorum who apparently feels the earth is a few millennia old, Rick Perry who wanted to go back into Iraq for some reason, Newt Gingrich who can't be taken seriously as a politician or an adult. He was nominated because the majority of Republican voters knew that he had the only shot of the candidates who ran to beat Obama (outside of Huntsman who was apparently not interested in running).

He'll be pushed toward his donors wishes; whose intentions are anything but moderate. Something to keep in mind if you're hoping to replace Obama with a "moderate".

Frankly, Obama is the more moderate of the two men.

Frankly, I don't see anything in your post that I cannot disagree with, however, my contention about President Obama even though he may be a " moderate" which I tend to agree with you based on the fact that had he actually fulfilled every campaign promise he made then this nation would be very left of center, rather his policies , espcially foreign policy was more hawkish and akin the former President. That said, like it or not President Obama is such a divisive figure as was former President Bush, that his ability to even get anything done to move this nation in a positive direction is suspect in my humble opinion.

With the advent of "Citizens United" and some very large donor's that Mitt Romney should he win will be beholding to, your assertion that his administration might look to interests of those donors first has a lot of merit and sadly until that changes the same holds true for just about every candidate be they Republican or Democrat I'm afraid. However, like most candiates I am sure that should Mitt Romeny get elected, like every President before him they will find as will the American people find a big difference between the candidate and the office holder.

Right on again! Neither party is what they were years ago. The extremism has been slow creeping for a long time.

But here's why I don't have a problem with Mitt's foreign policy experience. He certainly has no less than the bumbling fool we have now. And I do see hm intelligent enough to choose the brightest minds available. Again, just the opposite of the O who has struck me all along as a man with serious self confidence issues. These types choose those they consider their inferiors as "assistants." They are intimidated by those who seem superior. Can you really justify Valerie Jarrett's presence as his closest advisor? And do you really think Mitt would have been successful in business by surrounding himself with incompetents? And do you think he would deliberately go out of his way to piss off Bebe?

As far as Ryan, I've read his plan and while it may seem extreme to some, I think it must be remembered that this is a starting point. You go into these major projects from the most extreme position, knowing that there is a long road of compromise before the finish line. You also need to remember that Ryan and [D] Ron Wyden have joined up in writing a bipartisan health care bill fashioned much like the apparently successful one Wyden set up in OR. Ryan is not a neo-con but he is a savvy politician albeit a still young one.

I don't believe the Dems are going to roll over and play dead when Mitt gets elected but I do suspect they have undergone some serious attitude adjustments over the past 4 years. Many of them have let it be known in small to large ways that they aren't happy with Obama. That includes Reid in spite of himself.

I do think many of those Dems realize just how serious our financial situation is and that they would be more than willing to get back to governing as the people expect them to govern. Does that mean we'll see no more political spam spewing forth from every corner? Nope. Some things never change. But I do believe there will be far less acrimony with Mitt in the saddle.

Romney represents capital's desire for the higher returns through cheaper labor costs.

Capital does not care about externalities like patriotism or morality; if it can get higher returns stabbing the American worker in the back in favor of sweatshop labor, than so be it.

The point of Bain Capital is to destroy American jobs in order to get higher returns for investors who benefit by cheapest labor costs.

Are Republicans really naive enough to think that they can make war on women, Hispanics, blacks, alternate life styles, the poor, suppress voting rights, give massive tax breaks to robber barons while eliminating safety nets for the middle class and get absolutely no resistance?

Didn't hurt Scott Walker.

Well let's see.....Romney won't repeal abortion but he'll pick judges that aren't gung-ho for abortions.

He will repeal Obamacare but understands the healthcare system across the nation needs an overhaul which means putting more power in the states to control costs and to make healthcare insurance affordable by deregulating it. Oh, the horror....making it better without the Obamacare bullshit.

He will fix the DoD cuts Obamination put in place to give political kickback money to his supporters in the green energy scams, education program scams, etc.

He will tell the EPA and DoJ to quit destroying US companies with their laws and regulations. It will be sooooo horrible when companies can hire again without fears of the Feds.

Oh, the horror.....Romney the moderate.

Again the war on women from a man who's avatar is a major women beater.....kinda of ironic or hypocritical, dont ya think?
Are you dumb enough to believe your post? STop with the talking points, the republicans are at war with commies, no blacks, hispanics, women..blah blah blah

While I tend to disagree with several of Mitt Romney's current stances on such things are economic policy and Defense. It's my humble opinion that the last two Presidents, no matter how well meaning have been divisive figures and have offered little in terms of bringing this nation into a sound future. Having watched the Romney campaign for a little while now, I tend to believe that a lot of his current stances are based more on keeping the far right of the party in the fold, as well as tea party voters, so that turnout will remain high for those anti President Obama voters. Having said this, Mitt Romney's governing style tends to be based on past history more moderate than conservative and it's my belief that he will be less a divisive figure than former President Bush or President Obama. Given these factors, if he should become POTUS, his election may not be such a bad thing for this nation as the talking heads tend to think it is. Still further, given that Congress may not change all that much in terms of membership, even if elected the programs that people like or dislike on both sides of the Isle will not disolve overnight. Perhaps the best thing for our nation is that those we elect begin to realize, no matter what the political belief is that they serve those who elect them and not those who pay for their campaigns or those that happen to be able to send them on the latest Golf outing or honor whatever pledge they sign. Then perhaps we can eventually start taking on the hard tasks of getting this nation where it needs to be, back being the world leader it once was.

I would tend to agree if it weren’t for the aberration of the Imperial Presidency and the excessive, unwarranted power its obtained.

The problem with a Romney presidency isn’t Romney, it’s the usual suspects of the radical right he’d have in his administration, particularly with regard to judicial appointments that would indeed place our civil liberties in jeopardy.

The problem with a Romney presidency isn’t Romney, it’s the usual suspects of the radical right he’d have in his administration, particularly with regard to judicial appointments that would indeed place our civil liberties in jeopardy.

So how does that make him any different than Obama?

Well let's see.....Romney won't repeal abortion but he'll pick judges that aren't gung-ho for abortions.

So he claims

He will repeal Obamacare

:badgrin: Yeah, sure he will.

He will fix the DoD cuts Obamination put in place

I thought you people believed in fiscal responsibility. How can we continue to afford a bloated military budget when we're running $1.5 trillion deficits each year?

Idiot, the DoD budget has taken major cuts under Obamination.

Romney can still maintain the DoD budget to a strong level without stooping to your level by getting rid of the fraud, waste and abuse from the Obamination budgets like Obamacare, the green energy scams, creating more workers in the other Departments except the DoD, etc.

Also, addressing the Social Security/Medicare mess will fix the debt problem since that takes the majority of the budget right now. Idiots like you and Obamination are ignoring the real drain on funds while attacking the DoD for show.

So he claims

He will repeal Obamacare

:badgrin: Yeah, sure he will.

He will fix the DoD cuts Obamination put in place

I thought you people believed in fiscal responsibility. How can we continue to afford a bloated military budget when we're running $1.5 trillion deficits each year?

Forum List

Back