Mitt Romney Loves Coal Miners

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
Ad War Update: Obama Wants To Engulf Your Children In Flames - The Dish | By Andrew Sullivan - The Daily Beast

The Beallsville[, OH] rally [seen in the video], you may remember, is the one at which miners were told that attendance was mandatory — and they were docked a day’s pay for the privilege of showing up. That’s right: Mitt Romney’s ad touting his deep, abiding love of the coal industry appears to feature miners who were made to attend by their boss and who did so at the cost of a day’s salary.

I'll post in it for you. ;)

Obama policies hammered following coal-mine closings, layoffs

The announcement that 1,200 coal-mining jobs have been eliminated across central Appalachia has sparked renewed cries that Obama administration policies are crippling domestic-energy production and jobs -- and is already factoring into the 2012 presidential race.

Alpha Natural Resources announced Tuesday its plan to cut the positions and scale back coal production by 16 million tons annually -- which would result in eight mine closings in Virginia, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Four-hundred workers will be laid off immediately, though the company reportedly may try to re-hire some of the 1,200.

Kevin Crutchfield, the company’s chief executive officer, said the lay-offs and the closings of the non-union mines are the result a difficult market in which power plants are switching to abundant, less-expensive natural gas and "a regulatory environment that's aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal."

Read more: Obama policies hammered following coal-mine closings, layoffs | Fox News

I can't believe no one posted on this thread.

I can't believe you didn't post this in the Flame Zone. I'm proud of you although the thread title would've been golden in the Flame Zone ;) (I don't want to encourage you, go out of the flame zone & explore the rest of the board bitch :) )

The announcement that 1,200 coal-mining jobs have been eliminated across central Appalachia has sparked renewed cries that Obama administration policies are crippling domestic-energy production and jobs -- and is already factoring into the 2012 presidential race.

Alpha Natural Resources announced Tuesday its plan to cut the positions and scale back coal production by 16 million tons annually -- which would result in eight mine closings in Virginia, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Four-hundred workers will be laid off immediately, though the company reportedly may try to re-hire some of the 1,200.

Kevin Crutchfield, the company’s chief executive officer, said the lay-offs and the closings of the non-union mines are the result a difficult market in which power plants are switching to abundant, less-expensive natural gas and "a regulatory environment that's aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal."

Read more: Obama policies hammered following coal-mine closings, layoffs | Fox News

Gee, what upsets you more, that a non union business is going out of business or that coal is being replaced by a CLEANER source of energy? I wonder, which regulations have been implemented by a Federal Agency since January 2009 are to 'blame'?

• Banned

And you think Romney, the guy who forced goal miners to take a day without pay to appear in a photo op, would be better?

If so, I have some lovely beach property around Tikrit that you may be interested in. :D

• Banned

Gee, what upsets you more, that a non union business is going out of business or that coal is being replaced by a CLEANER source of energy? I wonder, which regulations have been implemented by a Federal Agency since January 2009 are to 'blame'?

If it were up to Newby, the horse and carriage would still be en vogue.

Interesting what you didn't bold.

OMG, Obama has a co-conspirator...the market

Interesting what you didn't bold.

OMG, Obama has a co-conspirator...the market

The market was probably scared that Obama's minions at DHS would shoot it's patrol car out in the middle of the Arizona desert with some of those 450 million hollow points.

You just choose it totally ignore the part about the regulatory environment that's aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal.

You just choose it totally ignore the part about the regulatory environment that's aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal.

And you forget the effects of coal on respiratory health and it's effect on the environment (acid rain anyone?).

Coal is the most expensive energy source, if you factor in environmental injury, which is deficit spending. And if you factor in the cost of taxpayer's subsidies. Especially at a local, county and state level where the carnage occurs.

kYPu6.gif

The Impact of Coal on the Kentucky State Budget

Executive Summary

Rapid and dramatic changes in the world’s approach to energy have major implications for Kentucky and its coal industry. Concerns about climate change are driving policy that favors cleaner energy sources and increases the price of fossil fuels. The transition to sustainable forms of energy is becoming a major economic driver, and states are moving aggressively to develop, produce and install the energy technologies of the future. Long reliant on coal for jobs and electricity, Kentucky faces major challenges and difficult choices in the coming years.

These energy challenges come in the midst of Kentucky’s state fiscal crisis and sluggish economic performance. The gap between Kentucky’s revenues and expenditures makes it increasingly difficult to sustain existing public services. A recent University of Kentucky report notes that Kentucky ranks 44th among states in per capita income, just as in 1970, while other southern states like North Carolina and Georgia have out-performed the Commonwealth in recent years.1 Eastern Kentucky still includes 20 of the 100 poorest counties in the United States measured by median household income.2

In this critical energy, fiscal and economic context, it is increasingly important for Kentuckians to understand the role and impact of coal in our state. Coal provides economic benefits including jobs, low electricity rates and tax revenue. But the coal industry also imposes a number of costs ranging from regulatory and public infrastructure expenses to environmental and health impacts.

Coal and the Budget

The Impact of Coal on the Kentucky State Budget tells one aspect of the story of coal’s costs and benefits. The report provides an analysis of the industry’s fiscal impact by estimating the tax revenues generated by coal and the state expenditures associated with supporting the industry. We estimate for Fiscal Year 2006 Kentucky provided a net subsidy of nearly $115 million to the coal industry (see Figure 1).

Fiscal-Impact-Summary.gif

Coal is responsible for an estimated $528 million in state revenues and $643 million in state expenditures. The $528 million in revenues includes $224 million from the coal severance tax and revenues from the corporate income, individual income, sales, property (including unmined minerals) and transportation taxes as well as permit fees. The $643 million in estimated expenditures includes $239 million to address the industry’s impacts on the coal haul road system as well as expenditures to regulate the environmental and health and safety impacts of coal, support coal worker training, conduct research and development for the coal industry, promote education about coal in the public schools and support the residents directly and indirectly employed by coal. Total costs also include $85 million in tax expenditures designed to subsidize the mining and burning of coal.

More

There was an article about a year ago in the WSJ about this. The Coal Miners were big supporters of Obama but are unlikely to be this time around given Obama's environmental policies.

And you think Romney, the guy who forced goal miners to take a day without pay to appear in a photo op, would be better?

If so, I have some lovely beach property around Tikrit that you may be interested in. :D

Romney didn't force anyone, the boss of these workers did that. Nothing like lying, is there.

Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder specifically what these "regulatory requirements" are that the RW'ers say are killing the coal industry. Not once, did a single specific regulation get mentioned in this story. Has Rush not gotten that far yet?

And you forget the effects of coal on respiratory health and it's effect on the environment (acid rain anyone?).

Then obama just needs to close them all down order more solar panels from China and take his chances.

Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder specifically what these "regulatory requirements" are that the RW'ers say are killing the coal industry. Not once, did a single specific regulation get mentioned in this story. Has Rush not gotten that far yet?

It must be those requirements that obama said would bankrupt the coal industry when he was campaigning last time.

It must be those requirements that obama said would bankrupt the coal industry when he was campaigning last time.

Can you name ONE?

Forum List

Back