Mitt Romney is going to get the GOP nomination.......and he is a cupcake

Mitt is miles ahead of his nearest competitor in the GOP. But that is only because he seems mildly sane

Once he goes head to head against Obama, his personal shortcomings will be clearly evident to the voters

He reminds me of Mike Dukakis

I was thinking of that Senator from Massachusetts... what's his name.

I have met Mitt personally. He's very personable, exceptionally well informed, and extremely competent. If Obama's approval rating is still sitting in the 40's come Nov 2012, it will be President Romney.

I suspect he probably is a nice guy. The problem is he has to pretend to be a crazy asshole to make it through the primaries.

It's painful.

Seriously, does Romney look sane in this picture? Does his analogy sound sane?

r-MITT-ROMNEY-OBAMA-MARIE-ANTOINETTE-huge.jpg

Mitt Romney: President Obama Out Of Touch Like Marie Antoinette

I used to worry that Mitt could run a strong campaign against Obama. The more I see of him the more obvious it is that he is stiff, awkward and uncomfortable around people. At times, he is downright creepy

He has little chance against Obama

I disagree. Republicans terrorized the American public into fighting the closure of Gitmo even when the generals said it's a tool for al Qaeda "recruitment".

Many Americans believe Obama is a Muslim.

When Wright was saying "God Damn America", he was actually using a right wing talking point that "God Damn America" is what will happen if we don't follow Biblical scripture. I'm glad I have no "occult" beliefs.

Obama and Ayers served on separate boards at the extremely right wing Anneberg Foundation here in Chicago. Obama was 8 years old when Ayers were practicing his "extremism" when he blew up a couple of desks. Yet Republicans are convinced Obama began his career at Ayers home.

The list of "ridiculous" that Republicans have gotten America to believe is endless.

Add the voter suppression. Remember, these are Republicans. They let Bin Laden go and then Bush said, "I don't think about him anymore". Obama didn't forget. And then Republicans tried to take credit after leaving Bin Laden free for a decade. And now, many Americans actually credit the Republicans with getting Bin Laden.

There is no depth they won't stoop to. They could win.

I have met Mitt personally. He's very personable, exceptionally well informed, and extremely competent. If Obama's approval rating is still sitting in the 40's come Nov 2012, it will be President Romney.

At what "airport" did you guy "meet"? Do you think he remembers you?

It ought to be fun when they start asking him about magic underwear and whatnot.

Hell, I'd almost vote for him just to see that!

If 'they' were to be so foolish as to do that it would be a boon for his campaign.

I used to worry that Mitt could run a strong campaign against Obama. The more I see of him the more obvious it is that he is stiff, awkward and uncomfortable around people. At times, he is downright creepy

Be careful. You've seen what can come of misunderestimating a candidate.

Not at all.

Besides the fact Bush actually lost the popular vote in 2000, the fact is he has things that Romney lacks. He is warm to people, he knows how to work a room, he connects with voters. All things Romney really doesn't do.

For all the talk about Romney's "electability", the fact is that he has only won one election in his entire career, and that was against a non-entity named Kathleen O'Brien in 2002 in what was a good Republican year. And he only got 49% of the vote.

He lost to Ted Kennedy by 17 points in 1994.

He lost to John McCain and Mike Huckabee in 2008.

He didn't run for re-election in 2006 because the polls had him as the most unpopular governor in the country AND had his Democratic rivals beating him by double digits.

"Little"??

I don't know if you're saying this to get a rise out of Cons (good job doing that, btw) or if you really believe it, but with an economy like this, "little" isn't a word I'd use to describe Romney's chance of taking out the Prez.

Wouldn't call it "good", either, for all the reaons you stated about him. I'd simply say he has a chance and leave it at that.

1) It probably won't be. His approval rating is inching up. The economy is slightly improving.

2) Sorry, man, 22% of the country won't vote for a Mormon. 26% don't think they are Christians and 22% aren't sure what they are. A real problem when 67% think the president ought to be a real Christian.

3) Romney will very likely trigger a third party challenge that will split the GOP vote.

Shocking, RWer who once near fully supported Mitt has turned on him, as I and many told him he would.
What was it the lying asshat RWer used to say? Mitt was the only intelligent person running and RWer claimed “that’s why conservatives don’t like/won’t vote him… “ And every time he did that I told him the second Mitt wins the nomination RW would turn on his shit instantly.

RW, stick with the war expanding, bush tax cut passing, patriot act voting, homeland security expanding, deficit growing uber liberal, Obama. What’s the new bill Obama said he would pass, the one that turns America into a battleground and can send citizens to secret prisons n shit?

If you even try and do your low life bullshit and respond to me as if I’m making shit up I will actually go and find you the quotes of the days you “could have voted for Mitt over Obama, maybe!… “

Reading comprehension has always been a challenge for you, hasn't it?

I have been saying for two years that Mitt Romney is the only credible candidate that Republicans have. If you read this thread, you can see I say the same thing.

But in watching the GOP debate of the week marathons, it is clear that Romney makes Al Gore look animated. In his personal appearances, it is clear that he is not comfortable around people. His laughter looks forced and he seems awkward.

I have posted numerous times that I thought under the right economic conditions, Mitt could beat Obama but I challenge you to find a post where I said I could vote for Mitt over Obama.

Go at it pal

1) It probably won't be. His approval rating is inching up. The economy is slightly improving.

I think this is true. Any election with an incumbent is a referendum on the incumbent. Who the challenger is makes some difference, but really only if it's a close election.

In terms of the rhythm of the saeculum, Barack Obama right now is in the same position as Abraham Lincoln in 1864 or Herbert Hoover in 1932: one term into a Crisis era. For all three presidents, the Crisis began within one year of his being elected. (For Obama, it began slightly before he was elected. For Lincoln, his election was what started it.) The nature of the Crisis is more like what Hoover faced, but Obama's electoral position is more like Lincoln's, in that he'll be judged on whether things are getting better. For Lincoln, they were (Union victories in 1864 brought the end of the Civil War in sight) -- he won. For Hoover, they weren't -- he lost.

Because it's a Crisis era, and people sense that, the economy doesn't actually have to be "good" for Obama to be reelected, it just has to be seen to be improving. If the economy continues its slow improvement between now and next November, Obama will be unbeatable. If the Republicans could resurrect Ronald Reagan and nominate him, they'd still lose. If we get another economic crash, though, he's toast.

2) Sorry, man, 22% of the country won't vote for a Mormon. 26% don't think they are Christians and 22% aren't sure what they are. A real problem when 67% think the president ought to be a real Christian.

I hear you, and you're probably right, but must honestly say I find that disgusting. The big problem for Romney of course being that those most bothered by his Mormonism include a big chunk of the GOP base. (There are plenty of people on the left who don't like Mormons, either, but they wouldn't vote for Romney anyway.)

3) Romney will very likely trigger a third party challenge that will split the GOP vote.

Could be. The Republican Party is in a crisis of its own right now (as is the Democratic Party). Both are facing insurgencies upset by the corruption in our politics by big money, and both insurgencies see the parties as departing from what ought to be their principles so they can serve the fat cats. The difference is that while the insurgents on the Democratic side are pushing an agenda that would actually work, those on the GOP side want a return to government that would only work in a long-gone set of material circumstances.

We have such a weird situation right now. We have completely forgotten what the word "conservative" is supposed to mean: preservation of order, resistance to radical change, upholding of tradition. Those who call themselves "conservatives" are pushing an agenda of radical reaction that is the antithesis of real conservatism. The Republicans are supposed to be our conservative party, but they're not, and the Democrats aren't supposed to be (they're supposed to be our progressive party), but they have become conservative -- someone, after all, needs to fill those shoes or the nation will come apart at the seams.

I don't know how it will all shake out, but neither party is going to be the same when it's done. I suspect this may be a crucial year of change for the Republicans. For the Democrats, it's more likely to be 2016.

Assuming Romney's the guy, it should be interesting to see how many Tea Partiers don't vote (because he's not "pure" enough) and how many hardcore Christians don't vote (because he's Mormon).

Romney's stiffness won't help him, but that's not his biggest problem.

I'm still holding out hope that Rick Perry or one of the other nuts will float to the top, but it is looking more and more like Willard will win the day. Bad for comedy...

True.

But Mitt has his own humor.

070116mitt_ann_romney_mormon_underwear.jpg

Yes, Mormons have their OWN OFFICIAL underwear.

New Topics

Forum List

Back