Mitt Romney: 'I'm Not Concerned About The Very Poor'

Dems: We're not concerned with being honest or accurate, we just want to fluff Obama for 4 more years

The context was given. His explanation doesn't hold water.

Actually, it does. Very much so. He says the very poor have a safety net (which is true), and that if that safety net needs fixing (which it might), he will fix it. What part of that is unclear to you?

The part where his own proposed policies call for cuts to the safety net. The part where the safety net is an aid, not a cure, for poverty.

there is no cure for poverty, just as there is no cure for stupid.

be glad you only suffer from one.

Spin this one all you want, it was a flat-out stupid thing to say.

This guy could be the most capable individual on the freakin' planet, but he keeps saying stupid things, he has virtually no skills with a microphone, and no one can honestly say they know what the hell he would do in office.

Plus he can't sing.

I'm not asking for freakin' miracles. But I would like the GOP to run someone who would give the electorate a decent freakin' choice in candidates. This is a freakin' horror show that just won't freakin' stop. This is a freakin' embarrassment.

What's wrong with this guy?

Actually, it does. Very much so. He says the very poor have a safety net (which is true), and that if that safety net needs fixing (which it might), he will fix it. What part of that is unclear to you?

The part where his own proposed policies call for cuts to the safety net. The part where the safety net is an aid, not a cure, for poverty.

Yeah, it sucks being poor; but at least I'm not you.

Out of context.

Unfortunately, the CON-servative idea of how to "fix" it is to abolish it and let them starve...Oh yeah... I forgot.... Charity. Just ask the homeless on how well "Charity" works when they're freezing on park benches.

Yeah, it sucks being poor; but at least I'm not you.

my apologies. i had no idea you had a dual diagnosis.

good luck!

Unfortunately, the CON-servative idea of how to "fix" it is to abolish it and let them starve...Oh yeah... I forgot.... Charity. Just ask the homeless on how well "Charity" works when they're freezing on park benches.

Hyberbole over rational logic again? Impressive.

"I'm in this race because I care about Americans. I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it,"

The safety net that has faced drastic cuts over the last few years? The safety net that Romney himself has proposed cutting? For him to pretend that the safety net is all the help the poor need, just makes him sound so out of touch with reality.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same millionaire who said, corporations are people, he enjoys firing people, he knows what it's like to worry about pink slips, he's unemployed too, and $374k in speaking fees isn't much. It seems that every time he opens his mouth, he sticks his foot in it.

CNN's Soledad O'Brien pressed him on his comments, adding that they may sound odd for Americans who are very poor.

"Well you had to finish the sentence, Soledad," he replied. "I said 'I'm not concerned about the very poor that have a safety net but if it has holes in it, I will repair them.' The challenge right now -- we will hear from the Democrat party the plight of the poor. And there's no question it's not good being poor and we have a safety net to help those that are very poor. But my campaign is focused on middle-income Americans."

"We have a very ample safety net," said Romney. "And we can talk about whether it needs to be strengthened or whether there are holes in it. But we have food stamps, we have Medicaid, we have housing vouchers, we have programs to help the poor."

Programs in the "safety net" are also suffering during the economic recession. Medicaid, for example faces cuts as states attempt to balance budgets at a time when more people are using the program. GOP lawmakers have also eyed cuts in food stamps as food prices rise, even though more Americans are using the the program as a consequence of the economic recession.

Romney's policies call for cutting federal spending and reconfiguring the social safety net. He calls for an immediate five-percent cut to non-discretionary spending, which would hit the safety net hard. He proposes turning Medicaid into a block grant program and undertaking a "fundamental restructuring of government programs and services." He also calls for capping spending at 20 percent of GDP -- a significant cut -- and adds that he "will pursue further cuts" as spending comes "under control."

Sigh. The left takes stuff out of context just like the right does.

I actually agree with Romney

The poor do have a safety net and Romney is willing to fix it as needed. The very wealthy are doing quite well....it is the middle class who are seeing their standard of living declining

It was a gross mischaracterization of what Mitt was saying

Hey....I'm only going by the Conservative mantra... Why should I have to pay for some deadbeat? Cut them off and let them get a job! You reap what you sow, bitch... and before you even start... no, I don't recall YOU ever saying that... but you most certainly stick up for those that do.

For those of you who are dumber than a lamb....What he is saying makes all the sense in the world.
Giving "no strings attached" money to the poor never-ever resolves poverty, in contrast - and our history clearly shows this - it ensures poverty. It prolongs poverty.
Being poor should be difficult - and it should be something you WANT to get out of - not stay in.
By Romney saying "I am concerned about the middle class"...also makes perfect sense, since it is the middle class that is the primary engine that drives the economy...help the middle class and it will create the necessary environment for growth and jobs.

He is right, he just didn't say it in the rosy politically correct way liberals want to hear things in.

Last edited:
I actually agree with Romney

The poor do have a safety net and Romney is willing to fix it as needed. The very wealthy are doing quite well....it is the middle class who are seeing their standard of living declining

It was a gross mischaracterization of what Mitt was saying

:clap2:
Nice. Not often someone from the "other side" is willing to stand up and and not accept partisan bullshit.

Kudos.

"I'm in this race because I care about Americans. I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it,"

The safety net that has faced drastic cuts over the last few years? The safety net that Romney himself has proposed cutting? For him to pretend that the safety net is all the help the poor need, just makes him sound so out of touch with reality.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same millionaire who said, corporations are people, he enjoys firing people, he knows what it's like to worry about pink slips, he's unemployed too, and $374k in speaking fees isn't much. It seems that every time he opens his mouth, he sticks his foot in it.

CNN's Soledad O'Brien pressed him on his comments, adding that they may sound odd for Americans who are very poor.

"Well you had to finish the sentence, Soledad," he replied. "I said 'I'm not concerned about the very poor that have a safety net but if it has holes in it, I will repair them.' The challenge right now -- we will hear from the Democrat party the plight of the poor. And there's no question it's not good being poor and we have a safety net to help those that are very poor. But my campaign is focused on middle-income Americans."

"We have a very ample safety net," said Romney. "And we can talk about whether it needs to be strengthened or whether there are holes in it. But we have food stamps, we have Medicaid, we have housing vouchers, we have programs to help the poor."

Programs in the "safety net" are also suffering during the economic recession. Medicaid, for example faces cuts as states attempt to balance budgets at a time when more people are using the program. GOP lawmakers have also eyed cuts in food stamps as food prices rise, even though more Americans are using the the program as a consequence of the economic recession.

Romney's policies call for cutting federal spending and reconfiguring the social safety net. He calls for an immediate five-percent cut to non-discretionary spending, which would hit the safety net hard. He proposes turning Medicaid into a block grant program and undertaking a "fundamental restructuring of government programs and services." He also calls for capping spending at 20 percent of GDP -- a significant cut -- and adds that he "will pursue further cuts" as spending comes "under control."

Hell, I could have told anyone that Romney didn't/doesn't care about the poor. I'm just surprised that he came right out and admitted it.

Cute out of Context Quote for your Title.

I searched, but didn't find it. :dunno: Now kindly go fuck yourself, asswipe.

you apparently didn't search very well. :rofl:

First of all, the other thread is on a different incident. It's about Mitt on Morning Joe. This thread is on a separate interview that Mitt did with CNN.

Get you facts straight before making an ass out of yourself next time.

Second, who the fuck are you? Does your inaccurate trolling change the fact that Mitt is an out-of-touch robot?

They are both about the same comments, made in two interviews. Why the fuck would you start a new thread on the exact same comments? Because you're a moron.

YOUR thread title...

Link in the other thread...
Romney: 'I'm not concerned about the very poor' - Yahoo! News

"I'm not concerned about the very poor." he said Wednesday.

A candidate for the 1%.

Gee, do you see the words that are the same? Do I have to bold them for you?

Putz

Last edited:

Hey....I'm only going by the Conservative mantra... Why should I have to pay for some deadbeat? Cut them off and let them get a job! You reap what you sow, bitch... and before you even start... no, I don't recall YOU ever saying that... but you most certainly stick up for those that do.

No, I don't. I've bitchslapped the right for saying that shit. And I bitchslap the left for 'ass-u-ming' that we all think alike. Conservatives rarely do 'group think', that is a leftist trait.

I work with a charity that helps those 'deadbeats' to give them the skills to get jobs. I understand how hard it is for those who've lost their way in life, and I do what I can personally to help those that want to be helped. It is those who refuse help and want to live off my taxes that I resent.

Last edited:
You Leftist assholes will never be happy. For ever now you have been screaming about the Plight of the Middle Class, The Decline of the Middle class. Yet when a Republican says He is going to Focus on the Middle Class you attack him. What happened to all those Liberal Arguments that it's the Middle Class that Creates the Jobs? How can you not understand that Helping the Middle Class will Result in More Jobs, which will Help make less people POOR!!!

That is how you get the Poor out of Poverty, You give them Opportunity.

Forum List

Back