Mitt Romney: 'I'm Not Concerned About The Very Poor'

J.E.D

Gold Member
Jul 28, 2011
"I'm in this race because I care about Americans. I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it,"

The safety net that has faced drastic cuts over the last few years? The safety net that Romney himself has proposed cutting? For him to pretend that the safety net is all the help the poor need, just makes him sound so out of touch with reality.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same millionaire who said, corporations are people, he enjoys firing people, he knows what it's like to worry about pink slips, he's unemployed too, and $374k in speaking fees isn't much. It seems that every time he opens his mouth, he sticks his foot in it.

CNN's Soledad O'Brien pressed him on his comments, adding that they may sound odd for Americans who are very poor.

"Well you had to finish the sentence, Soledad," he replied. "I said 'I'm not concerned about the very poor that have a safety net but if it has holes in it, I will repair them.' The challenge right now -- we will hear from the Democrat party the plight of the poor. And there's no question it's not good being poor and we have a safety net to help those that are very poor. But my campaign is focused on middle-income Americans."

"We have a very ample safety net," said Romney. "And we can talk about whether it needs to be strengthened or whether there are holes in it. But we have food stamps, we have Medicaid, we have housing vouchers, we have programs to help the poor."

Programs in the "safety net" are also suffering during the economic recession. Medicaid, for example faces cuts as states attempt to balance budgets at a time when more people are using the program. GOP lawmakers have also eyed cuts in food stamps as food prices rise, even though more Americans are using the the program as a consequence of the economic recession.

Romney's policies call for cutting federal spending and reconfiguring the social safety net. He calls for an immediate five-percent cut to non-discretionary spending, which would hit the safety net hard. He proposes turning Medicaid into a block grant program and undertaking a "fundamental restructuring of government programs and services." He also calls for capping spending at 20 percent of GDP -- a significant cut -- and adds that he "will pursue further cuts" as spending comes "under control."

another day another Faux outrage
I swear..people NEED any reason for their panties to be in a bunch...

sheeeeesh

Last edited:
Out of context.

The context was given. His explanation doesn't hold water.

Actually, it does. Very much so. He says the very poor have a safety net (which is true), and that if that safety net needs fixing (which it might), he will fix it. What part of that is unclear to you?

The part where his own proposed policies call for cuts to the safety net. The part where the safety net is an aid, not a cure, for poverty.

The rest of what he said - that he is not "focused" on the poor - is in the video here -

I posted a link to Jim DeMint saying that Mittens should rephrase what he said.

Thing is, this makes perfect sense because the poor don't vote for money grubbing R's. That Mittens would say this is not surprising either - he and noot both have been saying variations of "screw the poor and let's keep tinkle down economics for the rich".

Not to mention the obvious - that screwing the poor (and working class) is most of Mittens The Corporate Raider's work experience.

Actually, it does. Very much so. He says the very poor have a safety net (which is true), and that if that safety net needs fixing (which it might), he will fix it. What part of that is unclear to you?

The part where his own proposed policies call for cuts to the safety net. The part where the safety net is an aid, not a cure, for poverty.

The actual video tells the whole story.

And cripes, if Jim DeMint didn't like it, you KNOW it was BAD.

If you look at what Romney wants to do - all of it, in context, he does want to help lift the poor out of poverty. You don't lift people up by providing a safety net and leaving them to wallow in that net. You create an economic environment that offers opportunities for poor people to get out of poverty. That's the difference between Republicans and Democrats. The Dems what to keep people dependent, and the Repubs want to help them out of poverty.

Even really poor Americans have TVs, computers and internet access. So this was probably something he should have saved for when he was behind closed doors with his friends. But he isn't there to win, he's there to lose because the democra....I mean the republicans are perfectly happy with the financial trifecta Obama pushes, while they "fight" it tooth and nail against it. As insiders he's helping consolidate the wealth and holding hands with their large international corp., banks and industries.

Obama will win this election for one reason and one reason alone. Lack of competition. Whether you believe it is intentional or not.

learn to use the search feature dip-shit... there's already a thread on this.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/206129-mitt-romney-asked-about-republican-poor-says-im-not-trying-to-help-them.html#post4748856

Started by your 'butt-y', Dean

I searched, but didn't find it. :dunno: Now kindly go fuck yourself, asswipe.

you apparently didn't search very well. :rofl:

First of all, the other thread is on a different incident. It's about Mitt on Morning Joe. This thread is on a separate interview that Mitt did with CNN.

Get you facts straight before making an ass out of yourself next time.

Second, who the fuck are you? Does your inaccurate trolling change the fact that Mitt is an out-of-touch robot?

Well, finally he comes outright with it.

:clap2:

Well, only if you lie about what he said. But you already knew that. You just love the lies.

I can't wait to see your defense of any and all future Obama quotes taken out of context.

So what was the full context in "I'm not concerned about the very poor" again?

Try the first sentence in this moronic thread...

"I'm in this race because I care about Americans. I'm not concerned about the very poor. We have a safety net there. If it needs repair, I'll fix it,"

If you look at what Romney wants to do - all of it, in context, he does want to help lift the poor out of poverty. You don't lift people up by providing a safety net and leaving them to wallow in that net. You create an economic environment that offers opportunities for poor people to get out of poverty. That's the difference between Republicans and Democrats. The Dems what to keep people dependent, and the Repubs want to help them out of poverty.

He calls for an immediate five-percent cut to non-discretionary spending, which would hit the safety net hard. He proposes turning Medicaid into a block grant program and undertaking a "fundamental restructuring of government programs and services." He also calls for capping spending at 20 percent of GDP -- a significant cut -- and adds that he "will pursue further cuts" as spending comes "under control."

I searched, but didn't find it. :dunno: Now kindly go fuck yourself, asswipe.

you apparently didn't search very well. :rofl:

First of all, the other thread is on a different incident. It's about Mitt on Morning Joe. This thread is on a separate interview that Mitt did with CNN.

Get you facts straight before making an ass out of yourself next time.

Second, who the fuck are you? Does your inaccurate trolling change the fact that Mitt is an out-of-touch robot?

Same fucking topic.... Romney being misquoted about the poor.

Forum List

Back