Mitt and Ann Romney's 'dog on roof' responses tellingly tone deaf

Truthseeker420

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2011
Home of the 2013 BCS National Champion
Ann Romney may have thought Hilary Rosen's "hasn't worked a day in her life" jab was an "early birthday present," but for her husband's opponents, Seamus the dog is the gift that keeps on giving.

Seamus. Remember him? The Irish setter Mitt Romney crated on the roof of the family station wagon before driving from Boston to Ontario for a family vacation? The dog who, hours into the trip, released a stream of diarrhea that trickled down the windows of the station wagon, forcing Romney to make, reluctantly, an unscheduled pit stop?

Both the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals condemned the act. A blog, DogsAgainstRomney.com, has tens of thousands of followers. Public Policy Polling even found 35 percent of voters said they would be less likely to vote for Romney because of what he did to Seamus. Romney has called Seamus-based attacks some of the most wounding of the campaign.

Yet when asked about their dearly departed dog by Diane Sawyer this week, both husband and wife responded with what seems to be characteristic tone-deafness.

"Would you do it again?" Sawyer asked the couple in an interview this week.

"Certainly not with the attention it's received," said Mitt "Backbone" Romney, who apparently never met a public opinion he didn't shape-shift to match.

His wife took a different tack: Indignant defense.

"The dog loved it," she told Sawyer, claiming Seamus would leap up into the carrier whenever the family traveled (suggesting, perhaps, that the roof-strapping technique was employed more than once).

And the diarrhea, which commentators have attributed to the dog's terror?

"He ate the turkey on the counter. I mean, he had the runs," she said, laughing. "He would see that crate, and he would go crazy because he was going with us on vacation.

"It was, to me, a kinder thing to bring him along than to leave him in the kennel for two weeks."

Yes, bringing the dog on vacation may have been kinder than leaving him in the kennel. But allowing him to ride inside the car would probably have been kinder than sticking him on the roof. And if the whole big Romney family didn't fit in one vehicle, perhaps they could have taken two cars. Surely, they had options.

Ann Romney has been called her husband's secret weapon, one with the power to warm her husband's chilly persona and attract female voters who have so far kept their distance. But in recent weeks, her off-the-cuff remarks have given the impression (however fair) that she is out of touch with the challenges of today's working mothers, and that she condones what has been widely described as animal cruelty.

Someone, quick: Get Mrs. Romney a day at an animal shelter, and a list of talking points.

Mitt and Ann Romney's 'dog on roof' responses tellingly tone deaf | NJ.com

Obama ate dog.

Talk about "tone deaf."

If you turds were smart, you would shut the fuck up about Romney's dog, but you just can't help stepping on your own dicks.

The reason why doggate isn't getting much traction is because it is recycled scandal. Recycling scandals never works, it's old news. The only import that the dog on the roof story has today is to show just how bankrupt the democrats are. They have to recycle because they can't even fake up a good scandal.

Obama ate dog.

Talk about "tone deaf."

If you turds were smart, you would shut the fuck up about Romney's dog, but you just can't help stepping on your own dicks.

Ummmm, guy, no one is going to hold a nine year old responsible for being fed strange meat in a foreign country.

And the RW making a big deal about this just puts the "Dog on Car" story back up there again.

Obama ate dog.

Talk about "tone deaf."

So Romney wants to talk about what Obama may have been fed as a 10 year old to what Romney did as an adult? Romney is more stupid than I give him credit for..

obama-ate-eats-dog-meat-bo-barackobama.com-sad-hill-news-3.jpg

"Would you do it again?" Sawyer asked the couple in an interview this week.

"Certainly not with the attention it's received," said Mitt

This seems to me the now typical Willard response. It was essentially the same answer when he was asked about his hiring of non-documented workers at one of his five palatial mansions.

"I'm running for President for Pete's sake"

No remorse for wrongdoing, no empathy displayed AT ALL. I mean, the guy refers to his horse as an "it".

His lovely wife Ann said that he was good at emotionless crisis management. I'd say he's just plain emotionless.

Does Obama display empathy for eating family pets?

Got double standard?

If the President ever eats someone's family pet, I'll let you know.

Can you give me the quote where the POTUS shows remorse for eating somebody's dog, or not?

When did you stop beating your wife? You must watch Fox constantly. You've mastered their questions well.

The President didn't eat "someone's" dog, he ate dog in a country where it is not unusual.

Have you won any prizes playing wheel of false equivalences?

If the President ever eats someone's family pet, I'll let you know.

Can you give me the quote where the POTUS shows remorse for eating somebody's dog, or not?

When did you stop beating your wife? You must watch Fox constantly. You've mastered their questions well.

The President didn't eat "someone's" dog, he ate dog in a country where it is not unusual.

Have you won any prizes playing wheel of false equivalences?

No, no. Let SniperFire run with the "eating dog" story. It's funny.

Obama ate dog.

Talk about "tone deaf."

So Romney wants to talk about what Obama may have been fed as a 10 year old to what Romney did as an adult? Romney is more stupid than I give him credit for..

obama-dog-e1334797461230.jpg

Obama ate dog.

Talk about "tone deaf."

Ummmm, guy, no one is going to hold a nine year old responsible for being fed strange meat in a foreign country.

And the RW making a big deal about this just puts the "Dog on Car" story back up there again.

qgzjmyz2tf05g.jpg

obama not only ate dog, but he thinks that eating horse is just fine and approved the slaughter of horses for consumption.

Forum List

Back