Mitch Daniels at CPAC. Contender for President?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Foxfyre, Feb 12, 2011.

?

Mitch Daniels for President?

1. No way in hell!!!

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. I'll need a lot more convincing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I'm interested. I want to know more.

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Yes!!! He has my vote.

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    The 'dark horse' that hasn't gotten much attention but got strong approval from the CPAC audience and some recognition elsewhere is Mitch Daniels, governor of Indiana.

I keep seeing on this or that thread that everybody is tired of the same old retreads being dusted off, spruced up, and run again. Well here's sort of a new face.

Here's the speech. What do you think?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vJ9mcwQ_oI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vJ9mcwQ_oI[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  2. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    A number of looks - no comments yet? At least the voting, however sparse it has been, looks better than the poll for Trump. :)

3. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    As a Hoosier I've been living under a Daniel administration for a few years and I have to say that he has guided the state pretty well through these difficult times. Another plus is that he does have some Washington experience with Reagan and Bush II so he knows how Washington works.

But he does not have the star recognition that other candidates have and he does not come from one of the large states. He will probably decide whether to run or not in April or May, plenty of time to become more known.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    Thank you Z. I was hoping there were some Hoosiers out there who could give us some more up close and personal perceptions of Daniels.

I liked the content of the CPAC speech. He hit on a lot of themes I've been hungry to hear like doing big projects locally without federal funding--you get it done a lot quicker and at about a third of the cost.

He has personality and he knows how to deliver a funny line, but my main concern with him is the lack of....I don't know....star quality? I had to intentionally focus on the speech as the content was good, but the delivery wasn't exactly compelling. It allowed the mind to wander. Others listening here with me sort of tuned him out. Compared to Donald Trump that reeled people in--even those with me who didn't intend to listen found themselves doing so--THAT is star quality.

It was lack of star quality among the many candidates that gave us McCain that almost none of us wanted in 2008.

Can Daniels develop it? I don't know.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,219
    I know nothing about him. But Im looking at the new roster with fresh eyes. Im interesting, however, i plan to wait till everyone is in to make any decisions. as far as I know only one person has even announced intentions and that's Herman Cain.

However, I just looked it up and apparently there are two more people who have filed or have exploritory committees:

Fred Karger from California - No clue who he is. But it looks like he is gay marriage activist trying to use every means possible to attack those who supported prop 8 in California. Doesnt look like someone for me. But ill check it out more.

Jimmy McMillian from New York - Former registered Democrat not Running Republican and the Founder of the Rent is too Damn High Party. I think he might be interesting to watch.

6. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    Daniels says he won't announce until April if he decides to run. I'm wanting everybody to commit to having 'fresh eyes' in this election. If we trot out the same old stale, bruised, and bloodied stable of candidates, we"ll have Obama for four more years.

7. LadyGunSlinger

LadyGunSlinger Conservative Babe Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,196
    He's a stinking RINO- Came out of the Bush Administration. NO THANKS. Don't we have enough talented people in this nation without having to recycle the same stinking losers over and over?? What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. Will America ever learn?

8. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    But if you write off everybody associated with the Bush administration as a RINO, you would be writing off a lot of very good people. Some of them absolutely were. He certainly got some very bad advice. Did he get bad advice from Daniels though.

Here is Bloomberg's Resume of Daniels in 1991

From Politico recently:

And from the same Hot Air piece that posted the above:

9. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Voters like star quality. They like to be led into the abyss by someone they adore ignoring the substance for the glitter.

10. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,482
    Well, in my never to be considered humble opinion, that sure seems to be what the Democrats and most Independents did in 2008.

Did they learn their lesson?

Could somebody like Daniels, assuming his pedigree is as good as it looks, get a good advisor/coach to increase his curb appeal?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1