Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood

So no hamburger either?
Hamburger meat runs around $3.50 a pound. Ribeye steak runs around $12.99 a pound. What do you think?

You can buy steaks on sale or buy a cheaper cut.

You can't buy them cheaper than basic 73% - 27% ground beef.

But then, ground beef is about as bad for you as anything else you can stick in your mouth. Even cheaper cuts of beef are better.

Doesn't mean someone having their food supplied should be buying more expensive steak. When you demand someone else buy your food, be prepared to have those you force to fund it have a say in what you buy. Don't like the conditions, don't ask for the money.

Well, that certainly is a charitable way to look at it. Or not. Do you think that the vast majority of people on welfare want to be on welfare? Because my experience tells me that they'd rather be doing just about anything else but asking for help. So when you say "those you forced to fund", I have to point out the rather selfish attitude that portrays. My experience also tells me that the poor are having a hard enough time without having to deal with draconian measures and people who consider them to be, if not second class citizens, then not worth the bother. If someone on welfare wants to buy themselves or their child a steak from time to time, who are we to tell them they cannot? Would you prefer that they instead spend that money on much less healthy food, because when you look at the relatively tiny amount of aid they receive, the food they can afford to buy with it is usually very unhealthy, and that unhealthy food is almost always what they end up purchasing..

That story fit a longtime conservative suspicion that poor people use food stamps to purchase luxury items. Now, a Republican state lawmaker in Missouri is pushing for legislation that would stop people like Greenslate and severely limit what food stamp recipients can buy. The bill being proposed would ban the purchase with food stamps of "cookies, chips, energy drinks, soft drinks, seafood or steak."
Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood - The Washington Post
Banning food stamps for thugs who spend it on luxury items, or they're trying to destroy welfare system?
I think that the only way to stop these people to spend our tax money on unnecessary items - is to create list of goods they can buy! And what do you think guys?
whats wrong with beef and seafood..you can buy a lot cheap food and pay all the medical bills later on and treatment for their add children as well..if you are to restrict anything wouldint junk food make more sense

Food stamps are suppose to be for poor people who cannot afford basic food items. If you can waste a majority of your food stamps on steak. You don't need them. If you think it's not fair that you can't buy steaks with your food stamps. Then get a job.
So no hamburger either?
Hamburger meat runs around $3.50 a pound. Ribeye steak runs around $12.99 a pound. What do you think?
Hamburger is ground steak, with a few other ingredients...
Like I said ground beef runs about $3.50 a lb. Ribeye runs about $12.99 a pound. A big difference in price.
I get ribeye for $6.99 a pound at the Supermercado in town....

rib eye for $6.99 a pound

yikes

So no hamburger either?
Hamburger is ground steak, with a few other ingredients...
Like I said ground beef runs about $3.50 a lb. Ribeye runs about $12.99 a pound. A big difference in price.
I get ribeye for $6.99 a pound at the Supermercado in town....

rib eye for $6.99 a pound

yikes
Some places do not over inflate, like chain stores..

That story fit a longtime conservative suspicion that poor people use food stamps to purchase luxury items. Now, a Republican state lawmaker in Missouri is pushing for legislation that would stop people like Greenslate and severely limit what food stamp recipients can buy. The bill being proposed would ban the purchase with food stamps of "cookies, chips, energy drinks, soft drinks, seafood or steak."
Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood - The Washington Post
Banning food stamps for thugs who spend it on luxury items, or they're trying to destroy welfare system?
I think that the only way to stop these people to spend our tax money on unnecessary items - is to create list of goods they can buy! And what do you think guys?

I'm ok with...Two-thirds of that. Seafood or steak though is only luxurious if prepared well. Doesn't come that way or anything. :)

This thing shows the true hatred of the poor this one Republican has. While I don't think it's true of all Republicans, for this one at least it is. He isn't suggesting a cutback so much as the poor shouldn't eat as well as the not-poor. What a dickhead.

Yes of course the cons know and have seen personally the millions of food stamp recipients ALL buying lobster and filet minion every single trip to the grocer....

You are such hypocrites.....

Get mommy government out of our "business" bull CRAP....Michelle is forcing my kids to eat lower calorie foods at school, bull CRAP you mutter

WHILE you sit back AND PROMOTE and support this kind of gvt Nanny bull shit.....

Carry on...be your USUAL two faced selves and continue with your shallow, thoughtless bitching.

And continue to support your Nanny gvt making all decisions for every one because none of us could possibly think or make decisions for ourselves..... yep, good ole Cons luv their Nanny govt!!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Food stamps are suppose to be for poor people who cannot afford basic food items. If you can waste a majority of your food stamps on steak. You don't need them. If you think it's not fair that you can't buy steaks with your food stamps. Then get a job.
So no hamburger either?
what if its round steak?.....
All unhealthy food should be off the list. Red meat is not a healthy source of protein.
Healthy eh? That is why they don't allow you to buy real cheese but Kraft American is ok.

So no hamburger either?
what if its round steak?.....
All unhealthy food should be off the list. Red meat is not a healthy source of protein.
Healthy eh? That is why they don't allow you to buy real cheese but Kraft American is ok.
I did not know that. Are you saying there are already restrictions being implemented in regards to the food allowed to be purchased? People are able to obtain steaks and lobster, but not cheese? Maybe you are making the claim American cheese is not healthy, or at least Kraft American cheese. What the heck are you trying to say?

You can buy steaks on sale or buy a cheaper cut.

You can't buy them cheaper than basic 73% - 27% ground beef.

But then, ground beef is about as bad for you as anything else you can stick in your mouth. Even cheaper cuts of beef are better.

Doesn't mean someone having their food supplied should be buying more expensive steak. When you demand someone else buy your food, be prepared to have those you force to fund it have a say in what you buy. Don't like the conditions, don't ask for the money.

Well, that certainly is a charitable way to look at it. Or not. Do you think that the vast majority of people on welfare want to be on welfare? Because my experience tells me that they'd rather be doing just about anything else but asking for help. So when you say "those you forced to fund", I have to point out the rather selfish attitude that portrays. My experience also tells me that the poor are having a hard enough time without having to deal with draconian measures and people who consider them to be, if not second class citizens, then not worth the bother. If someone on welfare wants to buy themselves or their child a steak from time to time, who are we to tell them they cannot? Would you prefer that they instead spend that money on much less healthy food, because when you look at the relatively tiny amount of aid they receive, the food they can afford to buy with it is usually very unhealthy, and that unhealthy food is almost always what they end up purchasing..

Being that welfare for a sizable portion is multi-generational, it's easy to see how the answer to that question could be yes.

It's not selfish to want to keep money you've earned. However, it is to think someone that earned it owes it to you.

Who are we to say they can't? We are the ones being forced to pay for their food in the first place.

They have a choice. If they don't want the rest of us who are forced to fund their food for them having a say, don't ask for help. If the choice is to ask, be willing to accept the conditions under which those of us forced to fund it put on it. You sound like the type of person that would go to a bank, ask for a loan to buy a car, then think you can set the conditions user which you pay it back.

Yes of course the cons know and have seen personally the millions of food stamp recipients ALL buying lobster and filet minion every single trip to the grocer....

Get mommy government out of our "business" bull CRAP....Michelle is forcing my kids to eat lower calorie foods at school, bull CRAP you mutter

WHILE you sit back AND PROMOTE and support this kind of gvt Nanny bull shit.....

Carry on...be your USUAL two faced selves and continue with your shallow, thoughtless bitching.

And continue to support your Nanny gvt making all decisions for every one because none of us could possibly think or make decisions for ourselves..... yep, good ole Cons luv their Nanny govt!!!! :rolleyes:

Well said

From the party that wants to get Big Government out of our lives

Is that a TWINKIE you are buying that child?

Good. If you're using my (tax) money to buy your food then you betcha I get to have a say in what you purchase with it. Don't like it? Then don't use food stamps.

Well said

From the party that wants to get Big Government out of our lives

Is that a TWINKIE you are buying that child?

Twinkies are crap and a contributing factor to the obesity epidemic. Why do you want food stamp recipients to be obese?

Forum List

Back