Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood

That story fit a longtime conservative suspicion that poor people use food stamps to purchase luxury items. Now, a Republican state lawmaker in Missouri is pushing for legislation that would stop people like Greenslate and severely limit what food stamp recipients can buy. The bill being proposed would ban the purchase with food stamps of "cookies, chips, energy drinks, soft drinks, seafood or steak."
Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood - The Washington Post
Banning food stamps for thugs who spend it on luxury items, or they're trying to destroy welfare system?
I think that the only way to stop these people to spend our tax money on unnecessary items - is to create list of goods they can buy! And what do you think guys?

People on food stamps should be expected to suffer
How else will they seek to better themselves?

I'm thinking road kill, dumpster diving and expired food

If they can get more in the multiple and redundant handout programs than they can make working using the skills they offer, what incentive is there for them to better themselves.

didn't Obama everyone should have some skin in the game? But now a Republican suggest anything on food stamps, welfare etc. we get threads such as this..it's the same old BS

What he meant was that those who won't vote for him should have skin in the game so those who will vote for him can be pandered to with that money.

Why would they eat that stuff if they're getting food stamps?

What are you talking about?

That's the idea

They enjoy being poor. Poor people will not want to improve themselves unless you make them suffer

That is why we have Republicans......to look out for the poor

That story fit a longtime conservative suspicion that poor people use food stamps to purchase luxury items. Now, a Republican state lawmaker in Missouri is pushing for legislation that would stop people like Greenslate and severely limit what food stamp recipients can buy. The bill being proposed would ban the purchase with food stamps of "cookies, chips, energy drinks, soft drinks, seafood or steak."
Missouri Republicans are trying to ban food stamp recipients from buying steak and seafood - The Washington Post
Banning food stamps for thugs who spend it on luxury items, or they're trying to destroy welfare system?
I think that the only way to stop these people to spend our tax money on unnecessary items - is to create list of goods they can buy! And what do you think guys?

If they can get more in the multiple and redundant handout programs than they can make working using the skills they offer, what incentive is there for them to better themselves.

didn't Obama everyone should have some skin in the game? But now a Republican suggest anything on food stamps, welfare etc. we get threads such as this..it's the same old BS
Time for a head tax on all able-bodied persons, payable in cash or labor.
Most of them are momma's who don't know who their babydaddies are.

Time for a head tax on all able-bodied persons, payable in cash or labor.
If they're receiving a handout funded by the taxes they don't pay, it's time they actually did something for it. I don't really care if the amount they do equals what they get as long as they have to do something other than stick their hand out for it. We have what's called Adopt A Highway where I live. I say let the able bodied welfare recipients adopt a portion of it.

On multiple occasions, I've seen those using food stamps, meaning they've claimed they don't have cash to buy their own food, use cash money to buy beer and cigarettes. Personally, I don't care if they smoke or drink. What I do care is about is that they make a claim they can't afford to meet their needs yet seem to have plenty of money to buy those items. If they can buy beer and cigarettes with cash, shouldn't that cash be used to buy food first instead of expecting the hardworking people to fund it for them so they can buy those other things? In those situations, I don't have a problem if they suffer. They're abusing the system and need to do so.
Based on their annual income, they qualify for food stamps to support their families.
Doesn't mean they can't have other income

What he meant was that those who won't vote for him should have skin in the game so those who will vote for him can be pandered to with that money.

oh right. how could I forget. he's a such a liar

That's the idea

They enjoy being poor. Poor people will not want to improve themselves unless you make them suffer

They have no incentive to improve themselves if they can get an amount equal to or greater than they can make working. Why would they go to work and spend 40+ hours/week doing something when they can get the same doing nothing and have those 40+ hours to use spending someone else's money?

That's the idea

You may like road kill. No one else eats it.

That's the idea

Unless the consequences outweigh the benefits, actions don't change.

On multiple occasions, I've seen those using food stamps, meaning they've claimed they don't have cash to buy their own food, use cash money to buy beer and cigarettes. Personally, I don't care if they smoke or drink. What I do care is about is that they make a claim they can't afford to meet their needs yet seem to have plenty of money to buy those items. If they can buy beer and cigarettes with cash, shouldn't that cash be used to buy food first instead of expecting the hardworking people to fund it for them so they can buy those other things? In those situations, I don't have a problem if they suffer. They're abusing the system and need to do so.
Based on their annual income, they qualify for food stamps to support their families.
Doesn't mean they can't have other income

It's not other income. It's a total income. If that total income is so low they can't provide their needs, their income is so low they can't meet their wants. It's not my place to provide them their needs so they can fulfill their wants. I'd let a person like that starve before giving them crumbs.

Food stamps are suppose to be for poor people who cannot afford basic food items. If you can waste a majority of your food stamps on steak. You don't need them. If you think it's not fair that you can't buy steaks with your food stamps. Then get a job.
So no hamburger either?
Hamburger meat runs around $3.50 a pound. Ribeye steak runs around $12.99 a pound. What do you think?
what if its round steak?.....
All unhealthy food should be off the list. Red meat is not a healthy source of protein.
I eat about five pounds of red meat a week.

I am 66, 6'4", 185lbs, and pretty damned healthy.

Hasn't hurt me a bit, as far as I can tell.
Give it some time, that diet will catch up with you, but that is not the point. There are healthier, less expensive options. You pay for your own food, so you can eat whatever you want. If I have to pay for your food you will be eating beans instead of beef, perhaps some chicken.

That's the idea

Only a liberal would think doing without free steak and seafood is "suffering".

Send me some money Rightwinger...I'm suffering.

I was on a service call at a fish store in a bad area some time back.
It's a place I had been dispatched to many times over the years.
On this occasion the place seemed pretty quiet.
I asked one of the workers there why this was.
He remarked that I should see the place around the first few days of the beginning of the month....
The place would be packed with the folks loading up on lobster,shrimp,king crab legs....

All purchased on EBT cards.( Electronic Benefit Transfer) cards....

Nice.

Hey.Nothing illegal.
They were buying food.

I bought a lobster tail yesterday...Last one I got was six months ago....
But then I had to use my own money.

Yes...that is what I hear

All people on welfare drive Cadilacs and eat filet mignon and Lobster and we pay for it

I've seen those on food stamps, meaning they've claimed they don't have money, use money to buy things when that money should be used for food. If they can afford beer, that money should be used for food so those of us actually contributing to society can keep what we've earned. Someone that would use food stamps then use cash to buy cigarettes can starve for all I care.

Food stamps are suppose to be for poor people who cannot afford basic food items. If you can waste a majority of your food stamps on steak. You don't need them. If you think it's not fair that you can't buy steaks with your food stamps. Then get a job.
So no hamburger either?
Hamburger meat runs around $3.50 a pound. Ribeye steak runs around $12.99 a pound. What do you think?
All unhealthy food should be off the list. Red meat is not a healthy source of protein.
but a bowl of sugar in the morning for kids is ok?....gotcha....
How the heck do you come to that response from my post? My proposal for the government food support program is to take things like sugary cereals and snacks off the available list. I don't mind helping to feed hungry people, but I want to feed them healthy food and be careful about how the funds are spent so maximum nutrition is obtained for a minimum price. But it will never happen. The corporate controlled food industry won't allow it. Too many people making too much money from feeding junk food, lobster and steak to the poor.

That's the idea

They have no incentive to improve themselves if they can get an amount equal to or greater than they can make working. Why would they go to work and spend 40+ hours/week doing something when they can get the same doing nothing and have those 40+ hours to use spending someone else's money?

Can you point to all the examples of poor people doing better when you remove aid?

There are plenty of red states to choose from?

That's the idea

Very true

That is why Republicans advocate increased suffering for the poor

Makes em try harder

So no hamburger either?
but a bowl of sugar in the morning for kids is ok?....gotcha....
How the heck do you come to that response from my post? My proposal for the government food support program is to take things like sugary cereals and snacks off the available list. I don't mind helping to feed hungry people, but I want to feed them healthy food and be careful about how the funds are spent so maximum nutrition is obtained for a minimum price. But it will never happen. The corporate controlled food industry won't allow it. Too many people making too much money from feeding junk food, lobster and steak to the poor.
you are right.....i was wrong.....
sorry.gif

That's the idea

Can you point to all the examples of poor people doing better when you remove aid?

I said they can't do better. They do better with aid than they could do working based on the skills they offer. That's why they prefer to stay on it rather than work. They get the same or more and don't have to spend 40+ hours like the honorable people earning it.

There's one blue area within my red state. It's the poorest and high receiving are within the State. In fact, about 5 years ago, that blue district was the 10th highest receiving district nationwide out of 435 in the amount it received per capita.

That's the idea

Do people in your circles eat road kill and get food stamps?

That's the idea

Very true

That is why Republicans advocate increased suffering for the poor

Makes em try harder

No it doesn't. It gives bleeding heart like you a chance to support more being taken from honorable people who actually earn their money.

Forum List

Back