Missouri opens applications for 'assistant physicians'

"Somewhere out there is the world's worst doctor. The scariest part is that someone has an appointment with him tomorrow." -- George Carlin

Here, if you have a copay it is the same for you , but the insurance co is charged less. If you have no insurance then it is less.
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Associated Press

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — Missouri has begun accepting applications from people hoping to work as “assistant physicians” under a 2014 law intended to address a shortage of doctors.

The Missouri Board of Registration for the Healing Arts spent about 2 1/2 years developing the rules for the new category of physician licensing before opening up the application process Tuesday.

Well...at least it is something. Not sure I'd be thrilled to have an 'assistant physician'...but I suppose it's better than no physician at all.

For many medical exams and consultations a physician is not needed
It helps keep down medical costs
Nurses can also do much of these procedures
Doesn't hold down cost in MN as a visit to them costs as much

You pay for insurance AND a co-pay to see an M.D., but you actually see a PA who most times works for the provider company of your insurance. Pretty sweet deal for insurance companies......

Wrong. It goes back to the 80's when Republicans attacked Doctors for making too much money.

Two of my doctors retired over Obamacare...and my folks doctor went to concierge healthcare...no insurance accepted...cash only. Seems to me they really took a long time to consider their option since the 80s... :cuckoo:

"Somewhere out there is the world's worst doctor. The scariest part is that someone has an appointment with him tomorrow." -- George Carlin

Not so funny part; if Carlin would have heeded his Doctors warnings, he'd probably be alive today.

Copay is pennies compared to 20% as we had 20 years ago and insurance.
Here, if you have a copay it is the same for you , but the insurance co is charged less. If you have no insurance then it is less.
Associated Press

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — Missouri has begun accepting applications from people hoping to work as “assistant physicians” under a 2014 law intended to address a shortage of doctors.

The Missouri Board of Registration for the Healing Arts spent about 2 1/2 years developing the rules for the new category of physician licensing before opening up the application process Tuesday.

Well...at least it is something. Not sure I'd be thrilled to have an 'assistant physician'...but I suppose it's better than no physician at all.

You pay for insurance AND a co-pay to see an M.D., but you actually see a PA who most times works for the provider company of your insurance. Pretty sweet deal for insurance companies......

Wrong. It goes back to the 80's when Republicans attacked Doctors for making too much money.

Two of my doctors retired over Obamacare...and my folks doctor went to concierge healthcare...no insurance accepted...cash only. Seems to me they really took a long time to consider their option since the 80s... :cuckoo:

Bullshit. They retired do to competition of provider companies owned by insurance companies such as United Health Care Optum.

Associated Press

You pay $20.00 or more to see the 'provider.' Then $20.00 for x-rays. Then $20.00 for lab work. ALL owned by the company you already pay for insurance. Now, tell me about the 20% again.

Bullshit. They retired do to competition of provider companies owned by insurance companies such as United Health Care Optum.

Nope...sorry...not true. We have no provider companies owned by insurance companies. This ain't New York City...these are country doctors in competition with only other small town doctors.

Honey, we would pay 20% of the X-rays, lab, etc. as well. Why do you think people jumped on the hmo wagon? Personally, I wish they had never come about.

You pay $20.00 or more to see the 'provider.' Then $20.00 for x-rays. Then $20.00 for lab work. ALL owned by the company you already pay for insurance. Now, tell me about the 20% again.

Wrong, not here.
Associated Press

Nope...sorry...not true. We have no provider companies owned by insurance companies. This ain't New York City...these are country doctors in competition with only other small town doctors.

Sorry chuckles, don't buy it for a minute. Even bumkin' towns are being invaded by big insurance.

Sounds like the article got it wrong, sounds just like a pa-

It's open to people who recently graduated from medical school and passed the first two rounds of licensing exams but have not yet completed a residency program. Typically, physicians must complete three-to-six years of residency work to be certified.

Assistant physicians will be able to provide primary care services but must be supervised by another physician.
Is this the same as physician assistants? If so, Florida and Tx have had them for years. Some I like better. They will usually give you more time.

The majority of the country has had PA's for decades. PA's take the same exams as MD's do for their given specialty. Who knows the definition of Assistant Physicians. If it's the land of misery, it's got to be bad.
So, where is the cost effectiveness?

More patients can be seen & treated....equals more ca$h flow into the healthcare system.....ultimate profits dontcha know.

They bill as much as the physician if they're just carrying out an MD's treatment plan and the MD is on site while they're working.

If, on the other hand, they're working independently (which is generally what state scope-pf-practice laws have to allow) then they do bill at a lower rate than a physician.

They bill as much as the physician if they're just carrying out an MD's treatment plan and the MD is on site while they're working.

If, on the other hand, they're working independently (which is generally what state scope-pf-practice laws have to allow) then they do bill at a lower rate than a physician.
Again..doesnt seem to be the case here.......and maybe TX where The Dr had recently moved from

Forum List

Back