Missouri opens applications for 'assistant physicians'

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Associated Press

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — Missouri has begun accepting applications from people hoping to work as “assistant physicians” under a 2014 law intended to address a shortage of doctors.

The Missouri Board of Registration for the Healing Arts spent about 2 1/2 years developing the rules for the new category of physician licensing before opening up the application process Tuesday.

Well...at least it is something. Not sure I'd be thrilled to have an 'assistant physician'...but I suppose it's better than no physician at all.

Is this the same as physician assistants? If so, Florida and Tx have had them for years. Some I like better. They will usually give you more time.

They still do not have the training doctors have.

They don't but they have physicians to turn to if need be. They can easily handle routine checks, sinus infections, and colds, etc.

BUT, they can deal with patients for the common cold, flu, minor sprains, vaccinations, etc that don't really need a fully trained DR, and by the PA's doing the easy cases, it frees up the DR's for more intensive cases & more time to spend with those patients.

Associated Press

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — Missouri has begun accepting applications from people hoping to work as “assistant physicians” under a 2014 law intended to address a shortage of doctors.

The Missouri Board of Registration for the Healing Arts spent about 2 1/2 years developing the rules for the new category of physician licensing before opening up the application process Tuesday.

Well...at least it is something. Not sure I'd be thrilled to have an 'assistant physician'...but I suppose it's better than no physician at all.

For many medical exams and consultations a physician is not needed
It helps keep down medical costs
Nurses can also do much of these procedures

physician shortages! but I thought we were the most educated population in the world isn't that why republicans want to abolish public schools and think universal education is a joke?

maybe Cuba can send us some of their doctors?

Is this the same as physician assistants? If so, Florida and Tx have had them for years. Some I like better. They will usually give you more time.

The majority of the country has had PA's for decades. PA's take the same exams as MD's do for their given specialty. Who knows the definition of Assistant Physicians. If it's the land of misery, it's got to be bad.

Sounds like the article got it wrong, sounds just like a pa-

It's open to people who recently graduated from medical school and passed the first two rounds of licensing exams but have not yet completed a residency program. Typically, physicians must complete three-to-six years of residency work to be certified.

Assistant physicians will be able to provide primary care services but must be supervised by another physician.

The majority of the country has had PA's for decades. PA's take the same exams as MD's do for their given specialty. Who knows the definition of Assistant Physicians. If it's the land of misery, it's got to be bad.

It's open to people who recently graduated from medical school and passed the first two rounds of licensing exams but have not yet completed a residency program. Typically, physicians must complete three-to-six years of residency work to be certified.

Assistant physicians will be able to provide primary care services but must be supervised by another physician.

So, where is the cost effectiveness?

They don't charge the same fee as a doctor, until they finish their residency and become fully licensed.

They don't charge the same fee as a doctor, until they finish their residency and become fully licensed.

But they are overseen by real physicians and that takes them away from their own patients. Go figure.

Overseen, as in available if they have questions, not by their side. Same office usually. The doctor sees the non routine cases while the pa sees those routine ones such as checkups, colds, etc.the

But they are overseen by real physicians and that takes them away from their own patients. Go figure.

Associated Press

Doesn't hold down cost in MN as a visit to them costs as much

Here, if you have a copay it is the same for you , but the insurance co is charged less. If you have no insurance then it is less.
Associated Press

Here, if you have a copay it is the same for you , but the insurance co is charged less. If you have no insurance then it is less.
Associated Press

Appently that isn't the case here. Had to have a pre-op check and couldn't see my GP.....Was scheduled with new female GP and this subject came up after I asked her if she was taking new patients, looking to get my daughter's set up with a regular.. Seemed to be somewhat of a sore spot with her and we agreed full DR Fee should be more than a PA

Forum List

Back