Mississppi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
They had booked their wedding far in advance. The invitations had been sent, the programs printed. But one day before Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson were to be married at the Mississippi church they frequented, they said a pastor told them they would have to find another venue -- because they were black.

There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.

Rather than risk his job, Weatherford, who is white, said he decided to marry the pair at a black church down the road.

"My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because, guess what sweetie, we're black,'" Charles Wilson told ABC's affiliate WAPT-TV.

Outrage over the wedding's forced relocation swept the Jackson suburb of about 5,000 into a media firestorm.

While the Wilsons were not members of the church, they often attended services there, and Te'Andrea's uncle is an employee of the church, and her father is a member. Charles Wilson told WAPT that the couple had planned to join as members after their wedding, which was planned for July 20.

Weatherford told WLBT-TV in Jackson that he would have liked to marry the couple as planned, but he decided to perform the ceremony elsewhere as a compromise to ensure that the Wilsons could be married while "addressing a need within our congregation."

Mississippi Church Rejects Black Wedding - ABC News

ABC.... the station that creates its own version of the news instead of reporting the actual news. I'll pass.

Americans have the Constitutional right to free association, as well as the right to be ignorant and hateful.

Although as a private entity the church can not be compelled by government sanction to accommodate African American couples, it is nonetheless indicative of America's static racism.

ABC.... the station that creates its own version of the news instead of reporting the actual news. I'll pass.

It’s an AP news story, here’s a reprint in the AJC:

Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson say they had set the date and mailed invitations, but the day before their wedding they say they got bad news from the pastor of predominantly white First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs: Some members of the church complained about the black couple having a wedding there.

Black couple says racism forced wedding relocation  | ajc.com

The Daily Mail:

'The church congregation had decided no black could be married at that church, and that if he went on to marry her, then they would vote him out the church,' Charles Wilson told WLBT TV.

Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson: Outrage as Mississippi church says couple can't get married there as they're black | Mail Online

There is no ‘created version’ of the story.

Americans have the Constitutional right to free association, as well as the right to be ignorant and hateful.

Although as a private entity the church can not be compelled by government sanction to accommodate African American couples, it is nonetheless indicative of America's static racism.

Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson say they had set the date and mailed invitations, but the day before their wedding they say they got bad news from the pastor of predominantly white First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs: Some members of the church complained about the black couple having a wedding there.

Black couple says racism forced wedding relocation *| ajc.com

The Daily Mail:

'The church congregation had decided no black could be married at that church, and that if he went on to marry her, then they would vote him out the church,' Charles Wilson told WLBT TV.

Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson: Outrage as Mississippi church says couple can't get married there as they're black | Mail Online

It's the price that ABC pay for lying. I no longer accept ABC as a credible source.

If the facts are as presented, then it seems that this Church lacks one of the core principles of Christianity... that of compassion. Christians can't be racist - and racists can't be Christian. Racism does not fit within the concepts of Christ's teachings.

Right or wrong, the church still has the right to deny the couple. You would think though, if the Church knew they weren't goin to marry them, then why did they wait till the day of the weddin to deny them their ceremony? Stories like this happen all the time and it's horrible but I doubt it will ever change, at least not in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Were they unable to marry in the Church because they were black or because they were not members of the Church? It's easy enough to just make the claim that it was because they were black.

What's curious is that this is right out of an episode of Mike and Molly. A Catholic Priest refused to marry Mike and Molly because Molly isn't catholic so they had to get married in a black church instead.

Were they unable to marry in the Church because they were black or because they were not members of the Church? It's easy enough to just make the claim that it was because they were black.

The pastor said it was because the couple was black.

"But the couple had to change their plans after some members of First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs didn’t want the black couple to be married there, the pastor told WLBT."​

Black couple says white church banned wedding; Crystal Springs mayor 'heartbroken' | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com

In Addition...

"Wilson said he had been attending the church for about a month and his now wife had been attending for more than a year. His wife's father also attended the church, and her uncle was custodian at the church. "​

http://www.11alive.com/news/article/250110/40/Baptist-church-in-Miss-denies-wedding-to-black-couple

>>>>

Last edited:
"I'll pass" is as close as CG will ever get to ever admitting she was wrong. :cool:

I wasn't 'wrong', I just happen to refuse to accept anything that ABC reports. They've proven to be a station that does not care about the truth. I find it laughable that anyone still uses them as a 'source' after that.

The Daily Mail:

It's the price that ABC pay for lying. I no longer accept ABC as a credible source.

If the facts are as presented, then it seems that this Church lacks one of the core principles of Christianity... that of compassion. Christians can't be racist - and racists can't be Christian. Racism does not fit within the concepts of Christ's teachings.

Outside of Mississippi maybe

"I'll pass" is as close as CG will ever get to ever admitting she was wrong. :cool:

I wasn't 'wrong', I just happen to refuse to accept anything that ABC reports. They've proven to be a station that does not care about the truth. I find it laughable that anyone still uses them as a 'source' after that.

Just curious..

What other news outlets are on your list?

The pastor said it was because the couple was black.

"But the couple had to change their plans after some members of First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs didn’t want the black couple to be married there, the pastor told WLBT."​

Black couple says white church banned wedding; Crystal Springs mayor 'heartbroken' | The Clarion-Ledger | clarionledger.com

In Addition...

"Wilson said he had been attending the church for about a month and his now wife had been attending for more than a year. His wife's father also attended the church, and her uncle was custodian at the church. "​

Predominantly white Baptist church in Mississippi closes door to black couple's wedding | 11alive.com

>>>>

I don't know what the pastor said. I only know what the media reported that he said. Like George Zimmerman said he was following a black guy. Like the media reported that the Colorado shooter was in the tea party.

Whenever you hear a news story about whites being racist, there's a strong probability that the media is misreporting. Anyway, this is the church's right, and if the Afros don't like it, they can punish (haha) the church by leaving. But, it's impossible for an Afro to punish anyone by leaving (unless you need shit for fertilizer). More likely, the Afro community will punish the church by attending!

If true, it's a bad call for the church. A very bad call. But, there are a million Afro organizations in America that are more racist, and the media doesn't care.

The Daily Mail:

they must be heartbroken

pompous twat is obvious

They also have a constitutional right to jump to conclusions and make fools of themselves, which you just did. I am left wondering what it is that we are not being told in this story. This church has black members, and the couple attends it regularly, yet they are, allegedly, not being allowed to get married because they are black.

That might make sense to you, but it doesn't to me.

I am left wondering what it is that we are not being told in this story. This church has black members, and the couple attends it regularly, yet they are, allegedly, not being allowed to get married because they are black.

ABC said that the couple said that the pastor said it was because of race.

It could easily be something other than race, but the media and the couple are playing it as a race issue. The witch-hunting media and Afros have little credibility in issues like this.

The church has both black members and black employees, so this isn't about Afros in the church building. I don't know why any white racist would object to Afros marrying each other. The Church's pastor did marry them, just in a different locations.

They had booked their wedding far in advance. The invitations had been sent, the programs printed. But one day before Charles and Te'Andrea Wilson were to be married at the Mississippi church they frequented, they said a pastor told them they would have to find another venue -- because they were black.

There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.

Rather than risk his job, Weatherford, who is white, said he decided to marry the pair at a black church down the road.

"My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because, guess what sweetie, we're black,'" Charles Wilson told ABC's affiliate WAPT-TV.

Outrage over the wedding's forced relocation swept the Jackson suburb of about 5,000 into a media firestorm.

While the Wilsons were not members of the church, they often attended services there, and Te'Andrea's uncle is an employee of the church, and her father is a member. Charles Wilson told WAPT that the couple had planned to join as members after their wedding, which was planned for July 20.

Weatherford told WLBT-TV in Jackson that he would have liked to marry the couple as planned, but he decided to perform the ceremony elsewhere as a compromise to ensure that the Wilsons could be married while "addressing a need within our congregation."

Mississippi Church Rejects Black Wedding - ABC News

So does your Mosque marry Gays? Just curious?

New Topics

Forum List

Back