Mission Still Not Accomplished

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
Iraq calmer, but more divided

The U.S. troop buildup has brought down violence, but that has failed to spark cooperation among politicians. If anything, the country appears more balkanized into ethnic and sectarian enclaves.

By Ned Parker, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
December 10, 2007

BAGHDAD -- The U.S. troop buildup in Iraq was meant to freeze the country's civil war so political leaders could rebuild their fractured nation. Ten months later, the country's bloodshed has dropped, but the military strategy has failed to reverse Iraq's disintegration into areas dominated by militias, tribes and parties, with a weak central government struggling to assert its influence.

In the south, Shiite militias are at war for the lucrative oil resources in the Basra region. To the west, in Anbar province, Sunni tribes that once fought U.S. forces now help police the streets and control the highways to Jordan and Syria. In the north, Arabs, Kurds and Turkmens are locked in a battle for the regions around Kirkuk and Mosul. In Baghdad, blast walls partition neighborhoods policed by Sunni paramilitary groups and Shiite militias. '

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...er10dec10,0,4503892.story?coll=la-home-center

Iraq is increasingly a failed state, ruled locally by ethnic or sectarian militias . ..

Iraq calmer, but more divided

The U.S. troop buildup has brought down violence, but that has failed to spark cooperation among politicians. If anything, the country appears more balkanized into ethnic and sectarian enclaves.

By Ned Parker, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
December 10, 2007

BAGHDAD -- The U.S. troop buildup in Iraq was meant to freeze the country's civil war so political leaders could rebuild their fractured nation. Ten months later, the country's bloodshed has dropped, but the military strategy has failed to reverse Iraq's disintegration into areas dominated by militias, tribes and parties, with a weak central government struggling to assert its influence.

In the south, Shiite militias are at war for the lucrative oil resources in the Basra region. To the west, in Anbar province, Sunni tribes that once fought U.S. forces now help police the streets and control the highways to Jordan and Syria. In the north, Arabs, Kurds and Turkmens are locked in a battle for the regions around Kirkuk and Mosul. In Baghdad, blast walls partition neighborhoods policed by Sunni paramilitary groups and Shiite militias. '

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...er10dec10,0,4503892.story?coll=la-home-center

Iraq is increasingly a failed state, ruled locally by ethnic or sectarian militias . ..

The mission that "mission accomplished" applied to was indeed, accomplished. But hey, don't let FACTS get in your way.:rolleyes:

The mission that "mission accomplished" applied to was indeed, accomplished. But hey, don't let FACTS get in your way.:rolleyes:

Yes I do so love the ignorance of this. An Aircraft Carrier that DID in fact accomplish it's mission and was returning to Homeport somehow gets elevated to a war wide statement.

And they are still claiming it. Idiots and morons.

Well, in comparison, there is the Kerry "he voted for it, before he voted against it" crapola. Same thing really...

Not even close, the retard SAID it. I love when the Liberals whine about Kerry. You rejects picked someone so fucking bad, Bush got reelected. The Voters picked Bush because you idiots ran against him someone worse. And then to prove how stupid you liberals are you kicked out of the party your 2000 Vice Presidential runner.

So let me see if I have it right? A Navy Carrier that FINISHED its mission has as a banner " Mission Accomplished" and you retards claim it means the whole war. And that compares to Kerry actually saying " I voted for it, before I voted against it" In a blatant attempt to salvage himself from looking stupid to the voters ( and he failed yet again anyway).

Not even close, the retard SAID it. I love when the Liberals whine about Kerry. You rejects picked someone so fucking bad, Bush got reelected. The Voters picked Bush because you idiots ran against him someone worse. And then to prove how stupid you liberals are you kicked out of the party your 2000 Vice Presidential runner.

So let me see if I have it right? A Navy Carrier that FINISHED its mission has as a banner " Mission Accomplished" and you retards claim it means the whole war. And that compares to Kerry actually saying " I voted for it, before I voted against it" In a blatant attempt to salvage himself from looking stupid to the voters ( and he failed yet again anyway).

The only retard around here is you.
My point is, you guys bitch and moan about the mission accomplished statement by Bush being misrepresented by Dems, yet you guys do exactly the same with Kerry and his "I voted for it before I voted against it" statement.

While the Dems try and make out Bush was talking about the Iraq war as a whole, you point out that he was talking about that particular carrier's mission (personally I think it was about toppling the Hussein regime itself).

Yet in the same breath you are saying "kerrr did say what he said". Well, yeah Einstein he did. And do any of you Bush Lovers actually do a little in-depth research as to why he said what he said. Hint: Maybe, just maybe the contents of the bill had changed, which is why he changed his vote.

You go off at Dems wordsmithing, when you are doing exactly the same re Kerrys' comments. IOWs there's more to what he said than just parroting him verbatim.

Pathetic on both counts..

You're correct. But... don't you think that the INTENT of the photo op was to create an impression of victorious troops returning home and get people here yelling and cheering that the admin did what it was supposed to without any contemplation of what was needed after?

The fact is that his photo op and the words were intentional. It looks stupid and disingenuous in retrospect because it looks ridiculous in light of the thousands of people who were killed after.

As for the BS Kerry thing... yes, he voted for it when the money was being paid by tax dollars.... and voted against it when it was going to be deficit spending. But those facts didn't matter to the right. Just how it is.

You're correct. But... don't you think that the INTENT of the photo op was to create an impression of victorious troops returning home and get people here yelling and cheering that the admin did what it was supposed to without any contemplation of what was needed after?

The fact is that his photo op and the words were intentional. It looks stupid and disingenuous in retrospect because it looks ridiculous in light of the thousands of people who were killed after.

As for the BS Kerry thing... yes, he voted for it when the money was being paid by tax dollars.... and voted against it when it was going to be deficit spending. But those facts didn't matter to the right. Just how it is.

I think the attempt was the same as Eleanor Roosevelt visiting WWII's wounded. It's a morale booster. It doesn't become some dishonest attempt fool anyone simply because you don't like the party's flavor.

There's not a damned thing wrong with celebrating a victorious conclusion, honoring those who brought it about, nor making he American people feel good about what they are doing.

The carrier returning home coincided with the completion of the military invasion of Iraq and removal of Saddam's regime from power. A distinct, separate mission with a beginning an end.

The fact that Kerry changed a single vote means nothing to me, and I have never criticised him for doing so. Just as don't consider "mission accomplished" some nefarious deed when committed by one party but not the other; neither do I consider changing a vote changing a stance on an issue by one side and flip-flopping by the other.

Actually, it's pretty straight forward and not a matter of opinion.

What was the mission? Easy enough.
Was it accomplished? Only yes or no.

It's not a matter of opinion.

Bush never said mission accomplished, the troops put a banner on there, but hey if a lie is propaganded enough it becomes truth.

No. It was Bush's advance people.

The White House claimed that the banner was requested by the crew of the ship, who did not have the facilities for producing such a banner. Afterwards, the administration and naval sources stated that the banner was the Navy's idea, White House staff members made the banner, and it was hung by the U.S. Navy personnel. White House spokesman Scott McClellan told CNN "We took care of the production of it. We have people to do those things. But the Navy actually put it up."[5] According to John Dickerson of TIME magazine, the White House later conceded that they actually hung the banner but still insists it had been done at the request of the crew members.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Accomplished

Debating the title of the thread, and not one post about the substance.

Southern iraq: run by shia militias, and Muqtada Al Sadr's Mahdi Army. Intra-shiite civil war continuing. Women's rights deteriorating.

Bagdad: Ethnically cleased of most sunnis, comminities walled off from each other.

Anbar: US paying money and giving weapons to former sunni insurgents who killed americans. Good plan.

Political reconcilliation: virtually at a standstill. The sectarian divides in Iraq have hardened, and it will remain a fractured, failed state for years to come.

Thanks Bush.

Southern iraq: run by shia militias, and Muqtada Al Sadr's Mahdi Army. Intra-shiite civil war continuing. Women's rights deteriorating.

Bagdad: Ethnically cleased of most sunnis, comminities walled off from each other.

Anbar: US paying money and giving weapons to former sunni insurgents who killed americans. Good plan.

Political reconcilliation: virtually at a standstill. The sectarian divides in Iraq have hardened, and it will remain a fractured, failed state for years to come.

Thanks Bush.

and you read about the walls coming down?

Thanks Bush.

Sure there are. You just ignored them, as usual. The proper response to the title of the thread is it is a lie perpetuated by you and other left-wing extremists.

No further comment required to rebut a non-truth.

Ten months later, the country's bloodshed has dropped, but the military strategy has failed to reverse Iraq's disintegration into areas dominated by militias, tribes and parties, with a weak central government struggling to assert its influence.
Talk about moving the goalposts...

The surge was never intended to reverse Iraq's disintegration into areas dominated by militias, tribes and parties -- it was desgned to create stability so that the central government could do this.

And, of course, the questions beg:
-What was our mission when we invaded Iraq?
-How was it not accomplished?

what exactly did Kerry say? he said he voted for it before he voted against it and then, in the very next sentences, explained that his vote FOR the money was when if was in the form of a loan to be repaid by future Iraqi oil revenue, and his vote against the money was when it was in the form of a gift payable by the american taxpayer. That makes perfect sense, but the right insisted it was an example of flip flopping when it was not.

The banner said Mission Accomplished. They positioned the cameras and the podium so that the banner was behind him as he spoke - not specifically of the Abe Lincoln's mission, but of our country's efforts in ending major combat operations. They even positioned the ship so the little twit in his flight suit would not have the SanDiego skyline in the background!

(snip)

Even I will admit that our military has provided some progress, but what exactly are we supposed to do to make a bunch of what many of you refer to as loony, anti-west, psychopathic terrorists figure out how to sustain the country they way WE want it to be sustained?

I mean, we're asking them to model their country after America. They HATE America, right? So how do we get our handcuffs off, and get the POLITICAL results we're supposedly seeking?

And what exactly does our 150,000+ troop level, and matching civilian contractor militia levels, have to do with THAT?

Forum List

Back