Missing it on the 2nd Amendment

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
What do you think the Second Amendment is for? It seems the talking heads on TV think it's all about hunting and protecting yourself from crime.

That was not the main intent of the Amendment. It was meant as a last line of defense for the people against the Government.

I have also heard a lot of talk about how it's suppose to be part of a regulated Militia. That may well be true, but our all knowing all powerful Federal Government has effectively did away with all Civil Militia's. The National Guard is nothing but a play thing of the Military. The people have no effective protection against the Government other than arming themselves.

I just think no matter where you come down on the gun debate, you should understand that the main intent of the 2nd was as a check against the Government.

Not just "the Government", but any government...the FF were familiar with the potential of a country being invaded and their government taken over. Most Americans don't imagine that ever happening to the US, but never say never.

What do you think the Second Amendment is for? It seems the talking heads on TV think it's all about hunting and protecting yourself from crime.

That was not the main intent of the Amendment. It was meant as a last line of defense for the people against the Government.

I have also heard a lot of talk about how it's suppose to be part of a regulated Militia. That may well be true, but our all knowing all powerful Federal Government has effectively did away with all Civil Militia's. The National Guard is nothing but a play thing of the Military. The people have no effective protection against the Government other than arming themselves.

I just think no matter where you come down on the gun debate, you should understand that the main intent of the 2nd was as a check against the Government.

the 2nd was meant to allow you to fight FOR the government... as part of a well-regulated militia.

if the idea were to allow you to fight AGAINST the government, treason wouldn't be the only crime set forth in the constitution.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back