Missed This-Krauthammer

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Did we invade the wrong country?

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/2696371

Excerpt:

Did we invade the wrong country? One of the lessons now being drawn from the 9/11 report is that Iran was the real threat. It had links to al-Qaida, allowed some of the 9/11 hijackers to transit through and is today harboring al-Qaida leaders. The Iraq war critics have a new line of attack: We should have done Iran instead of Iraq.

Well, of course Iran is a threat and a danger. But how exactly would the critics have "done" Iran? Iran is a serious country with a serious army. Compared to Iraq, an invasion of Iran would have been infinitely more costly. Can you imagine these critics, who were shouting "quagmire" and "defeat" when the low-level guerrilla war in Iraq intensified in April, actually supporting war with Iran?

If not war, what then? We know the central foreign policy principle of Bush critics: multilateralism. John Kerry and the Democrats have said it a hundred times: The source of our troubles is Bush's insistence on "going it alone." They promise to "rejoin the community of nations" and "work with our allies."

Well, that happens to be exactly what we have been doing on Iran. And the policy is an abject failure. The Bush administration, having decided that invading one axis-of-evil country was about as much as either the military or the country can bear, has gone multilateral on Iran, precisely what the Democrats advocate. Washington delegated the issue to a committee of three — the foreign ministers of Britain, France and Germany — that has been meeting with the Iranians to get them to shut down their nuclear program.

The result? They have been led by the nose. Iran is caught red-handed with illegally enriched uranium, and the Tehran Three prevail upon the Bush administration to do nothing while they persuade the mullahs to act nice. Therefore, we do not go to the U.N. Security Council to declare Iran in violation of the Nonproliferation Treaty. We do not impose sanctions. We do not begin squeezing Iran to give up its nuclear program.

Kathianne said:

Kaytianne you ask whether we invaded the wrong country which should have been Iran.

I really don't think Bush made a mistake. Like the old tale, sometimes you have to take baby steps before you can take giant steps forward.

It seems apparent that Iran, although trying to come out of the 4th century of Muhammad is under the control of the ruling Mullah Clerics. How long these radical old guard can keep the Iranian army under their control is a real question.

Unlike Iraq, the Iranian (Pershian) younger generation has seen, heard and knows of western civilization and apparently yearns to get out from the yoke of these old morons.

If Iran were to be attacked by land, sea and air, do you think that this silent majority of non-Arabic young men and women who speak Farsi and not Arabic would fight against any western coaltion put together by Bush?

The reality is that Iran is not as prepared for war as was Iraq. Iraq, which we have seen was finished off in 21 days flat with continued outsider insurgents keeping the pot stirred with their roadside bombings, foreign and Royal Guard insurgents hiding in Mosques pot shooting and suicide bombers killing and kidnapping as their leverage to end infidel occupation of their holy soil.

I don't doubt for a minute that Iran will be attacked by some country like Israel, the US or the Arab Emerate States which feel threatened by Iran, the country which is truly the bowels of hell.

One step at a time....

ajwps said:
Kaytianne you ask whether we invaded the wrong country which should have been Iran.

I really don't think Bush made a mistake. Like the old tale, sometimes you have to take baby steps before you can take giant steps forward.

It seems apparent that Iran, although trying to come out of the 4th century of Muhammad is under the control of the ruling Mullah Clerics. How long these radical old guard can keep the Iranian army under their control is a real question.

Unlike Iraq, the Iranian (Pershian) younger generation has seen, heard and knows of western civilization and apparently yearns to get out from the yoke of these old morons.

If Iran were to be attacked by land, sea and air, do you think that this silent majority of non-Arabic young men and women who speak Farsi and not Arabic would fight against any western coaltion put together by Bush?

The reality is that Iran is not as prepared for war as was Iraq. Iraq, which we have seen was finished off in 21 days flat with continued outsider insurgents keeping the pot stirred with their roadside bombings, foreign and Royal Guard insurgents hiding in Mosques pot shooting and suicide bombers killing and kidnapping as their leverage to end infidel occupation of their holy soil.

I don't doubt for a minute that Iran will be attacked by some country like Israel, the US or the Arab Emerate States which feel threatened by Iran, the country which is truly the bowels of hell.

One step at a time....
Not being privy to all of the intelligence that theses countries have, I have no idea what the reaction of the people would be. I just wonder what the consequences would be for Israel if they attacked Iran. I bet terrorist groups would kill innocent Israelis but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!.

dilloduck said:
Not being privy to all of the intelligence that theses countries have, I have no idea what the reaction of the people would be. I just wonder what the consequences would be for Israel if they attacked Iran. I bet terrorist groups would kill innocent Israelis but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!.

and the world thought it couldn't be done, responding to Dillo and ajwps in the same post! :banana: Guys you are right. I thought perhaps Israel would take care of Iran, too far and too dangerous. Whether the US does militarily or diplomatically, I'm assuming it will be done.

Kathianne said:
and the world thought it couldn't be done, responding to Dillo and ajwps in the same post! :banana: Guys you are right. I thought perhaps Israel would take care of Iran, too far and too dangerous. Whether the US does militarily or diplomatically, I'm assuming it will be done.

Israel would just bomb the nuclear facility and go home to face terrorist retalitation. Someone else would have to clean up the mess.

dilloduck said:
Israel would just bomb the nuclear facility and go home to face terrorist retalitation. Someone else would have to clean up the mess.

I don't think it's going to go this way. If US can handle diplomatically, they will, otherwise, they will take it out!

Kathianne said:
I don't think it's going to go this way. If US can handle diplomatically, they will, otherwise, they will take it out!

You can bet they will take a threat seriously, NOW THAT WE FINALLY DID SOMETHING OTHER THAN COMPLAIN. oops--wasted some energy I needed for AJ LOL

dilloduck said:

I don't think any of us are privy to any of the intelligence gathered and known about Iran and its its internal dynamics. But I do suspect that Israel would not risk a frontal attack of a combined armed IDF service like the US has done twice in Iraq.

You think terrorist groups would kill innocent Israelis? What do you think that they are trying to do every day in Israel?

The terrorists are not doing to well right now, they would rather attack soft targets in Spain or Sudan. Israel has the long learned experience how to deal with the terrorists who use their families as shields.

Israel also has the new sophisticated weapons systems that they have held in reserve for that time when the Arabs armies arrayed against them will make another attempt to conquer and destroy them.

Iran is just one of many.

:kiss2: that's you and aj, unless you're doing this: :poke:

Now about the current problems, :chains:

I'm in the process of changing my id comment.

dilloduck said:
You can bet they will take a threat seriously, NOW THAT WE FINALLY DID SOMETHING OTHER THAN COMPLAIN. oops--wasted some energy I needed for AJ LOL

dilloduck said:

Israel is facing terrorist attacks as we speak. The Arabs in Israel call it retaliation for killing their head murderers.

Who do you see cleaning up Israel's terrorist (mess as you call it) right now?

Do you really think that Iran would be in any position to send in terrorists to Israel to retaliate against the destruction of their nuclear and WMD facilities?

Iran is not on the border of Israel. Israel is destroying the infiltration of arms and men that comes through the tunnels from places like Egypt right now.

What nation can stand up against the mighty arm of Israel today?

ajwps said:
I don't think any of us are privy to any of the intelligence gathered and known about Iran and its its internal dynamics. But I do suspect that Israel would not risk a frontal attack of a combined armed IDF service like the US has done twice in Iraq.

You think terrorist groups would kill innocent Israelis? What do you think that they are trying to do every day in Israel?

The terrorists are not doing to well right now, they would rather attack soft targets in Spain or Sudan. Israel has the long learned experience how to deal with the terrorists who use their families as shields.

Israel also has the new sophisticated weapons systems that they have held in reserve for that time when the Arabs armies arrayed against them will make another attempt to conquer and destroy them.

Iran is just one of many.

Israelis and terrorists groups do kill each other every day---it has become so routine that it is almost viewed as normal. I would just assume that if Israel hit the nuclear facility in Iran that there may be more than usual. but they gotta do what they gotta do. It's atough life over there. I'm glad I'm here.
(where can I get some info on these new weapon systems?)

Forum List

Back