Misgivings Rise Along With Antarctican Tourism

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By IAN AUSTEN
Published: November 26, 2007

OTTAWA, Nov. 25 — From its beginning until its demise, the Explorer was an Antarctic pioneer. Launched in 1969 under the name Lindblad Explorer, it was the first ship built specifically to ferry tourists to Antarctica. When it disappeared beneath the polar region’s waters last week, it became the first commercial passenger ship to sink there.

The Explorer sank about 600 miles from South America.
But with the rapid rise of ship tourism in Antarctica — perhaps the last major ungoverned territory on earth — the sinking was not unanticipated. Both the United States and Britain warned a conference of Antarctic treaty nations in May that the tourism situation in the region was a potential disaster in the making.

The treaty countries, the United States said in a paper presented at the meeting, “should take a hard look at tourism issues now, especially those related to vessel safety, and not await more serious events to spur them to action.”

More than 35,000 tourists are expected to visit Antarctica this spring and summer, compared with just 6,750 during 1992-93, according to the Antarctic Treaty Secretariat. And rather than just ships like the Explorer that carry 100 passengers, the flotilla has included such behemoths of the cruise ship industry as the Golden Princess, which arrived with 2,500 passengers and 1,200 crew members last season.

By IAN AUSTEN
OTTAWA, Nov. 25 — From its beginning until its demise, the Explorer was an Antarctic pioneer. Launched in 1969 under the name Lindblad Explorer, it was the first ship built specifically to ferry tourists to Antarctica. When it disappeared beneath the polar region’s waters last week, it became the first commercial passenger ship to sink there.

Skip to next paragraph
Related
Dot Earth: Splendor, and Danger, at the Ends of the Earth (November 23, 2007)

The New York Times
But with the rapid rise of ship tourism in Antarctica — perhaps the last major ungoverned territory on earth — the sinking was not unanticipated. Both the United States and Britain warned a conference of Antarctic treaty nations in May that the tourism situation in the region was a potential disaster in the making.

The treaty countries, the United States said in a paper presented at the meeting, “should take a hard look at tourism issues now, especially those related to vessel safety, and not await more serious events to spur them to action.”

More than 35,000 tourists are expected to visit Antarctica this spring and summer, compared with just 6,750 during 1992-93, according to the Antarctic Treaty Secretariat. And rather than just ships like the Explorer that carry 100 passengers, the flotilla has included such behemoths of the cruise ship industry as the Golden Princess, which arrived with 2,500 passengers and 1,200 crew members last season.

By IAN AUSTEN

Skip to next paragraph
Related
Dot Earth: Splendor, and Danger, at the Ends of the Earth (November 23, 2007)

The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/26/w...709efe0a475b72&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Seems to me people that want to spend their hard-earned money visiting a giant ice cube have more than an issue or two.:cuckoo: :lol:

Heh... well, I wouldn't want to do it. But to each his own!

I spend money on virtual games and stuff in virtual games. It brings me pleasure, though it is a sight less dangerous then taking a trip to Antarctica. Ohh and I suspect in a year I spend a lot less than such a trip would cost as well ).

I spend money on virtual games and stuff in virtual games. It brings me pleasure, though it is a sight less dangerous then taking a trip to Antarctica. Ohh and I suspect in a year I spend a lot less than such a trip would cost as well ).

If I'm going to spend money on a vacation, it's going to be to someplace I can tour and see interesting things or someplace with a nice beach.

My play money? Shoes, CD's, clothes... lol...

Forum List

Back