'Misconception' Reveals The Dark, Misleading World Of Crisis Pregnancy Centers

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Some women looking for abortions are being misdirected to "clinics" that have no intention of providing them with such a service.

"Misconception," a short documentary from Vice News, looks at the phenomenon of "crisis pregnancy centers" (CPCs) -- organizations staffed by anti-abortion groups, usually religiously-based, that encourage women to follow through with their pregnancies, even if they have already decided to terminate.

Some crisis centers provide factually incorrect advice about the process of abortion and its aftermath, others use religious rhetoric to shame women for their choices. Many such centers receive government funding through federal grants or state programs. Vice estimates that in 2014, CPCs could now outnumber abortion clinics 5 to 1.

The film, produced by Allison Yarrowand Claire Ward, investigates the deceptive practices these "clinics" use. Misrepresenting themselves as abortion providers using manipulative tactics like engineering their pages to show up in online searches for "pregnancy symptoms" or situating themselves next to abortion clinics, CPCs reel women in under false pretenses. Often, as shown in the film, these clinics refuse to provide abortion pricing information over the phone, often only revealing that the procedure is not offered there after subjecting women to a "counseling session" and sonogram.

The idea for the documentary came from Yarrow's field reporting for a Newsweek feature, "The Abortion War's Special Ops," which follows anti-abortion activist Lila Rose and pro-abortion rights activist Katie Stack. Stack, who was herself referred to a crisis pregnancy center following an unplanned pregnancy, founded The Crisis Project, which investigates the "medical misinformation, emotional manipulation and religious doctrine" that CPCs commonly use.

In "Misconception," host Fazeelat Aslam attends the pro-life March For Life in Washington D.C., meets with a young woman in Texas who found herself at a crisis pregnancy center after searching for access to an abortion, and goes undercover with Stack to another CPC. Posing as Stack's aunt, Aslam films a counseling session in which Stack is advised against abortion.

"[Abortion] could never be safe, because it's so totally unnatural," an anonymous "counselor" tells Stack and Aslam. "Your body is meant to keep that baby, not to have someone put an instrument in and rip it out."

The film also features hidden camera footage from Stack's visits to other CPCs around the country, revealing some of the shocking things CPC workers have said to her.

Video and More: Misconception Reveals The Dark Misleading World Of Crisis Pregnancy Centers

Reportedly, these so-called Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPCs) are disgustingly deceitful and dishonest. I find it equally disgusting that they are reportedly "religiously-based".

Reportedly, these so-called Crisis Pregnancy Centers (CPCs) are disgustingly deceitful and dishonest. I find it equally disgusting that they are reportedly "religiously-based".
Is pretending you are pregnant and carrying an undercover camera into a CPC deceitful? Is providing a CPC someone else's pee to trick them into believing you are pregnant when you are not pregnant deceitful?

Wow. I watched the video, and I have to tell you, I'm pretty non-partisan on this issue. It really wasn't convincing.

No, I didn't think they were doing any lying and deceiving, they just have their own point of view, same as the Pro-choice movement.

Are you telling me the name of the organization, "Planned Parenthood," is not disingenuous? If you go there for unplanned pregnancies, then the very name of those clinics is a lie, isn't it? Anyone who has done the research KNOWS that organization was founded by Eugenicists. Margaret Sanger was a Eugenicist of the first order. That, on the face, makes them bedfellows with the likes of Hitler. Or didn't you know?

GROSSU: Margaret Sanger, racist eugenicist extraordinaire
GROSSU Margaret Sanger racist eugenicist extraordinaire - Washington Times
Sanger shaped the eugenics movement in America and beyond in the 1930s and 1940s. Her views and those of her peers in the movement contributed to compulsory sterilization laws in 30 U.S. states that resulted in more than 60,000 sterilizations of vulnerable people, including people she considered “feeble-minded,” “idiots” and “morons.”. . . .

. . . .
“The main objects of the Population Congress would be to apply a stern and rigid policy of sterilization and segregation to that grade of population whose progeny is tainted, or whose inheritance is such that objectionable traits may be transmitted to offspring[;] to give certain dysgenic groups in our population their choice of segregation or sterilization.” (“A Plan for Peace,” 1932).

In a 1957 interview with Mike Wallace, Sanger revealed: “I think the greatest sin in the world is bringing children into the world — that have disease from their parents, that have no chance in the world to be a human being practically. Delinquents, prisoners, all sorts of things just marked when they’re born. That to me is the greatest sin — that people can — can commit.”

This line of thinking from its founder has left lasting marks on the legacy of Planned Parenthood. For example, 79 percent of Planned Parenthood’s surgical abortion facilities are located within walking distance of black or Hispanic communities.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Abortion Surveillance report revealed that between 2007 and 2010, nearly 36 percent of all abortions in the United States were performed on black children, even though black Americans make up only 13 percent of our population. A further 21 percent of abortions were performed on Hispanics, and 7 percent more on other minority groups, for a total of 64 percent of U.S. abortions tragically performed on minority groups. Margaret Sanger would have been proud of the effects of her legacy.

Good thing there aren't more adherents to her philosophy, or posters believing stuff like the OP might not have been born. :lmao:

The first woman who was deceived by these woman's crises clinics seemed to be a case to make the point. Sheesh. Sanger would have wanted to sterilize her first, right after she gave her an abortion.

I'm all for cutting off funding to these crisis clinics. Just as long as we cut off funding to Planned Parenthood too.

Forum List

Back