Misconception Faith vs. Reason

dilloduck said:
Just in general---science and religion both look for answers and explanations

The argument appears to be that science is much more trustworthy but has goofed up since it's inception. It's a process and to date hasn't solved the great mysteries any more than religion has.

With the exception of the question "how did we get here?" science and religion don't intersect. I don't hear any of the religious folks complaining about faster, cooler-looking cars, or nifty cameras, or advances in medicine, or longer, healthier lives, etc, etc, all brought about by science. If science is in conflict with a religious belief, get over it, or ignore it, but don't try to make science out as something bad because of it.

MissileMan said:
With the exception of the question "how did we get here?" science and religion don't intersect. I don't hear any of the religious folks complaining about faster, cooler-looking cars, or nifty cameras, or advances in medicine, or longer, healthier lives, etc, etc, all brought about by science. If science is in conflict with a religious belief, get over it, or ignore it, but don't try to make science out as something bad because of it.
Ironic the medium many of these debates are held through...

MissileMan said:

Just saying science isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It's also responsible for a lot of things that aren't all that beneficial to humans. Some are downright fatal. Having a nifty camera probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans from the perspective of infinity. Science and religion can co-exist is people will allow it.

dilloduck said:
Just saying science isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It's also responsible for a lot of things that aren't all that beneficial to humans. Some are downright fatal. Having a nifty camera probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans from the perspective of infinity. Science and religion can co-exist is people will allow it.

I think you'll find that most of the things not beneficial to humans were things invented by scientists, but perverted in use and application by governments. The science that led to the discovery isn't the problem.

Co-existance is certainly possible, but as long as there are those who refuse to accept the difference between the two, strife will continue.

dilloduck said:
Just in general---science and religion both look for answers and explanations

By the way...one of the biggest differences between science and religion is that both AREN'T looking for answers and explanations, at least not to the same questions. Scientists are trying to answer the question "how did we get here?" while religions believe they already know the answer and pursue it no farther.

MissileMan said:
I think you'll find that most of the things not beneficial to humans were things invented by scientists, but perverted in use and application by governments. The science that led to the discovery isn't the problem.

Co-existance is certainly possible, but as long as there are those who refuse to accept the difference between the two, strife will continue.

Odd, same with religion---people have perverted is use and application. What religion states isn't the problem. The strife continues because one feels it's superior somehow to the other.

dilloduck said:
Odd, same with religion---people have perverted is use and application. What religion states isn't the problem. The strife continues because one feels it's superior somehow to the other.

Each has it's own field of superiority though. Science is superior at explaining how things in nature work. Religion is superior at explaining the supernatural. Problems start with the boobs who want to reverse roles.

MissileMan said:
Each has it's own field of superiority though. Science is superior at explaining how things in nature work. Religion is superior at explaining the supernatural. Problems start with the boobs who want to reverse roles.

No. You're half right. Science is good at explaining how things work, religion is good at providing moral framework for living life AND utilizing the power of science.

MissileMan said:

I still disagree and stand by my point that the argument starts when one claims to know more than the other. Sciences' refusal to acknowledge good and bad makes it sterile when it comes to naturally occuring questions in the human mind.

dilloduck said:
I still disagree and stand by my point that the argument starts when one claims to know more than the other. Sciences' refusal to acknowledge good and bad makes it sterile when it comes to naturally occuring questions in the human mind.
Do you think that on some subjects the religious explanation fosters intellectual laziness?

dilloduck said:

You've obviously confused science for something else. Science isn't in the "search for good and bad" business.

Religion's refusal to acknowledge fact and fiction makes it stagnant when confronted with new information.

MissileMan said:
You've obviously confused science for something else. Science isn't in the "search for good and bad" business.

Religion's refusal to acknowledge fact and fiction makes it stagnant when confronted with new information.

Morality doesn't change. Stem cell researches are pissed at religion right now because it says they can't slice up babies for their research.

rtwngAvngr said:
Morality doesn't change. Stem cell researches are pissed at religion right now because it says they can't slice up babies for their research.

Morality changes all the time.

rtwngAvngr said:
You're talking about moral erosion. The standard is the same;we just suck worse.

No, I'm talking about something that was once accepted as moral, has become now immoral.

MissileMan said:
No, I'm talking about something that was once accepted as moral, has become now immoral.

I don't what your priest told you when he did that, but that was NEVER moral. :bye1:

rtwngAvngr said:
I don't what your priest told you when he did that, but that was NEVER moral. :bye1:

Knee-slapper!

Hey, how's the view from the basement window of your mom's house? Yes, I'm talking about before you put up the tinfoil.

MissileMan said:
Knee-slapper!

Hey, how's the view from the basement window of your mom's house? Yes, I'm talking about before you put up the tinfoil.

I live in an apartment. Those vicious basement rumors got started when I was at home for the holidays. Lame, I know. :rolleyes: Don't be a hater.

Forum List

Back