Minor Earthquake in the Carolinas

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Well, I didn't feel anything, so whatever.

CHESTERFIELD — A small earthquake rattled homes and prompted more than 100 people to call 911 after it hit in South Carolina near the state line with North Carolina.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 2.9-magnitude quake struck just after 6 p.m. Monday in an area between Chesterfield and Wadesboro, N.C.

Chesterfield County Emergency Management Director Harold Hainey says no damage or injuries were reported though area residents who felt the ground shake called emergency services.

2.9-magnitude earthquake rattles parts of South Carolina and North Carolina | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

CHESTERFIELD — A small earthquake rattled homes and prompted more than 100 people to call 911 after it hit in South Carolina near the state line with North Carolina.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 2.9-magnitude quake struck just after 6 p.m. Monday in an area between Chesterfield and Wadesboro, N.C.

Chesterfield County Emergency Management Director Harold Hainey says no damage or injuries were reported though area residents who felt the ground shake called emergency services.

2.9-magnitude earthquake rattles parts of South Carolina and North Carolina | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

Earthquakes don't become noticeable till they hit 3.1 or so. If you are particularly sensitive and laying in bed you can detect a 3.0.

Biggest earthquake I ever experienced was in 1993 when we had size six. It was my wife's first earthquake ever, and she was freaked. Especially because the lamp over the bed got an intense swing.

First thing after she calmed down was I had to take the lamp down.

Earthquakes don't become noticeable till they hit 3.1 or so. If you are particularly sensitive and laying in bed you can detect a 3.0.

Yup... 2.9 isn't even enough to mention hardly. Start worrying when they get over a 4.0.

Yup... 2.9 isn't even enough to mention hardly. Start worrying when they get over a 4.0.

it was a few years ago, but i remember when your area was getting hit left and right with earthquakes and i told ya to GET OUT OF DODGE! so glad you moved to wisconsin!

it was a few years ago, but i remember when your area was getting hit left and right with earthquakes and i told ya to GET OUT OF DODGE! so glad you moved to wisconsin!

Yup, Reno. We were having what they called "earthquake swarms." They were coming by the hundreds. Mostly little ones, but the 5.4 scared the shit otta me. Didn't take me long after that to be packed and headed back to Wisco.

Yup, Reno. We were having what they called "earthquake swarms." They were coming by the hundreds. Mostly little ones, but the 5.4 scared the shit otta me. Didn't take me long after that to be packed and headed back to Wisco.

yep, when you were in Reno, it was incredible the amount of earthquakes you were getting.... how are they now, do ya know? did it finally slow down i wonder?

yep, when you were in Reno, it was incredible the amount of earthquakes you were getting.... how are they now, do ya know? did it finally slow down i wonder?

Pretty quiet there right now. Pretty quiet all along the northern west coast actually. Kind of uncanny... 10-degree Map Centered at 40°N,120°W

I just figure if it's not rumbling, then it's down there building up pressure getting ready to unleash a big one. They said Reno could expect to be hit by a 7.0 or greater earthquake every 25 years... SCREW THAT! I got the hell otta Dodge.

are the carolinas in an earthquake zone of any sort?

yes remember the quake in charleston sc?

An estimated $23 million damage was caused by one of the great earthquakes in United States history in 1886. Charleston, South Carolina, and nearby cities suffered most of the damage, although points as far as 160 kilometers away were strongly shaken. Many of the 20 earthquakes of intensity V or greater (Modified Mercalli scale) that centered within South Carolina occurred near Charleston. A 1924 shock in the western part of the State was felt over 145,000 square kilometers. Several earthquakes outside the State borders were felt strongly in South Carolina

South Carolina

North Carolina

o btw there is no 'carolinas' we are two distinct states with distinct interests.

I remember one, as a kid, in Birmingham, AL (same fault line that runs through Memphis, I think?)

It was a 3.0 or so.

I thought it was a bunch of C-130s passing overhead....not a big deal, but loud and rattling.

Pretty quiet there right now. Pretty quiet all along the northern west coast actually. Kind of uncanny... 10-degree Map Centered at 40°N,120°W

I just figure if it's not rumbling, then it's down there building up pressure getting ready to unleash a big one. They said Reno could expect to be hit by a 7.0 or greater earthquake every 25 years... SCREW THAT! I got the hell otta Dodge.

There is a 67% chance that there will be a 6.5+ earthquake in the Reno-Carson City area in the next 50 years. I am within 5 miles of the fault line that will break. It should be a fun ride so long as we are at home. If we're in the city it won't be too fun. The cities and the folks themselves are woefully unprepared for a big shaker. It will be bad and very sad for many people.

Forum List

Back