Minnieapolis Bridge collaspes in rush hour

The Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century was enacted June 9, 1998 as Public Law 105-178. TEA-21 authorizes the Federal surface transportation programs for highways, highway safety, and transit for the 6-year period 1998-2003. The TEA 21 Restoration Act, enacted July 22, 1998, provided technical corrections to the original law. The material presented on this web site reflects the combined effect of these two laws and refers to this combination as TEA-21. The contents of the TEA-21 web site are organized as follows:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/tea21/index.htm

The structural engineers of this country run the site I first gave you and they site this law as what helped the nessesary improvements be made.

They state on their site (as I already gave you) that they recomend this be acted on.

The last coupld of R congresses ignored it for years.

I think and very rigthtly so it is due to tax cuts.

The Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century was enacted June 9, 1998 as Public Law 105-178. TEA-21 authorizes the Federal surface transportation programs for highways, highway safety, and transit for the 6-year period 1998-2003. The TEA 21 Restoration Act, enacted July 22, 1998, provided technical corrections to the original law. The material presented on this web site reflects the combined effect of these two laws and refers to this combination as TEA-21. The contents of the TEA-21 web site are organized as follows:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/tea21/index.htm

The structural engineers of this country run the site I first gave you and they site this law as what helped the nessesary improvements be made.

They state on their site (as I already gave you) that they recomend this be acted on.

The last coupld of R congresses ignored it for years.

I think and very rigthtly so it is due to tax cuts.

There have been NO cuts in gasoline tax which is what is used to pay for maintaining our federal Highways and bridges.... Do you understand the written word?

I'm waiting for the conspiracy theorist/michael moore, rosie odonnell and the rest of the far left to blame this all on Bush and the reason being is to get minnesota to give bush more oil... f'n nut jobs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEA-21

why do you continue to pretend this law never exsisted?

It was designed to provide money to increase the inspection and maintenance of our infrastructure and it was working until th4e R congress allowed it to lapse.

These engineers site it themselfs as one of the causes of the safety problem.

Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from TEA-21)
Jump to: navigation, search
For the 2005 Transportation Equity Act, see Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users
The Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) was enacted June 9, 1998, as Public Law 105-178. TEA-21 authorized the Federal surface transportation programs for highways, highway safety, and transit for the 6-year period 1998-2003. Because Congress could not agree on funding levels the Act, which had continued past 2003 by means of temporary extensions, was allowed to lapse.

The transportation equity act requires that seven planning factors be included in regional transportation plans: the plans must: 1. support the economic vitality of the metropolitan planning area;, especially by enabling global competitiveness, productivity and efficiency increase the safety and security for the transportation system for motorized and non-motorized users 2. 3. increase the accessibility and mobility options available to people and for freight 4. protect and enhance the environment promote energy conservation and improve the quality of life, 5. enhance the integration of connectivity of the transportation system, across and between modes, for people and freight, 6. promote efficient system management and operation, 7.emphasize the efficient preservation of existing transportation system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEA-21

This is the cost of tax cuts.

Conditions

As of 2003, 27.1% of the nation's bridges (160,570) were structurally deficient or functionally obsolete, an improvement from 28.5% in 2000. In fact, over the past 12 years, the number of bridge deficiencies has steadily declined from 34.6% in 1992 to 27.1% in 2003. The Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA's) strategic plan states that by 2008, less than 25% of the nation's bridges should be classified as deficient. If that goal were met, 1 in 4 bridges in the nation would still be deficient. There were 590,750 bridges in the United States in 2000; however, one in three urban bridges (31.2% or 43,189) was classified as structurally deficient or functionally obsolete, much higher than the national average. In contrast, 25.6% (118,381) of rural bridges were classified as structurally deficient or functionally obsolete.

A structurally deficient bridge is closed or restricted to light vehicles because of its deteriorated structural components. While not necessarily unsafe, these bridges must have limits for speed and weight. A functionally obsolete bridge has older design features and, while it is not unsafe for all vehicles, it cannot safely accommodate current traffic volumes, and vehicle sizes and weights. These restrictions not only contribute to traffic congestion, they pose such major inconveniences as school busses or emergency vehicles taking lengthy detours. It is estimated that it will cost $9.4 billion per year for 20 years to eliminate all bridge deficiencies. The annual investment required to prevent the bridge investment backlog from increasing is estimated at $7.3 billion. Present funding trends of state departments of transportation call into question future progress on addressing bridge deficiencies.

Adding to these problems is the inability of the Administration and Congress to reauthorize the nation's Transportation Equity Act of the 21st Century (TEA-21), which has now had six extensions since the program expired on September 30, 2003the inability of the Administration and Congress to reauthorize the nation's Transportation Equity Act of the 21st Century (TEA-21), which has now had six extensions since the program expired on September 30, 2003. The progress made in the TEA-21, which authorized $218 billion for the nation's highway and transit programs in 2001, is beginning to slip as America continues to shortchange funding for much-needed road and bridge repairs.

Even with uncertain funding due to the lack of a federal transportation funds reauthorization bill, additional revenues from state and local governments have begun to make an impact on bridge projects in all 50 states. Total bridge expenditures by all levels of government for capital outlays (including system preservation and system expansion) was at $8.8 billion in 2003.

http://www.asce.org/reportcard/2005/page.cfm?id=22

This is just the bridges folks, its the cost of tax cuts.
No Tax cut is worth these peoples lives and no false outrage for silence which only honors the people who refused to take care of the problem in the first place.

How can we have a conversation when you ignore what I say?

Do you really not want to learn anything about the position of the other side of the coin?

If you dont then what is the point of discussing anything ?

It would mean you dont want a solution to our problems and just want to fight.

Here is why you are wrong in your assesment of my interests in this.

I have been trying for years to get people to pay attention to the infrastructure problems this country is facing.

It has had a very low rating by our Structural Enginneers for years.

The money to fix it has been put off and put off, the result of tax cut fever.

I have not been here very long(at this site) but a the other sites I frequent I have brought it up many times.

Now tell me is this the first time you have seen this subject discussed?

Here is why you are wrong in your assesment of my interests in this.

I have been trying for years to get people to pay attention to the infrastructure problems this country is facing.

It has had a very low rating by our Structural Enginneers for years.

The money to fix it has been put off and put off, the result of tax cut fever.

I have not been here very long(at this site) but a the other sites I frequent I have brought it up many times.

Now tell me is this the first time you have seen this subject discussed?

Tax cuts have done NOTHING--I repeat--NOTHING to reduce the amount of funding available to repair the infrastucture in the United States. You're a liar-truth doesn't matter to you one iota.

Not very far above your post is a clip from the Structural Engineers of this country and their assesment of the problem and how we can fix it.

In it they specifically mention the Transportation Equity Act of the 21st Century (TEA-21) and they state that it has been put off instead of reauthorized.

This is funded with tax dollars, if we had the will to pay for it we may be able to avoid another tragedy like this one.

Now why do you think the R congress passed it over even though the Structrual engineers of this country say we need it?

If you dont think tax cuts effect what gets funded then you really are not living in reality.

Again why do you ignore the facts given to you by your debate opponent?

Not very far above your post is a clip from the Structural Engineers of this country and their assesment of the problem and how we can fix it.

In it they specifically mention the Transportation Equity Act of the 21st Century (TEA-21) and they state that it has been put off instead of reauthorized.

This is funded with tax dollars, if we had the will to pay for it we may be able to avoid another tragedy like this one.

Now why do you think the R congress passed it over even though the Structrual engineers of this country say we need it?

If you dont think tax cuts effect what gets funded then you really are not living in reality.

Again why do you ignore the facts given to you by your debate opponent?

Why has the D congress passed over it? Facts? :rofl: You have NO facts that link the Iraq war nor tax cuts to this bridge collapse.

Why has the D congress passed over it? Facts? :rofl: You have NO facts that link the Iraq war nor tax cuts to this bridge collapse.

You have to understand that simply because Truthmatters post something it automatically is to be regarded as fact.

Lets see the completely R government ignores the bill and lets it just sit there for 6 years and now its the barely dem majority congesses fault?

I love the leaps of logic---------we're supposed to accept some pretty phenomenal "cause and effect" scenarios. Naturally the Republican party has caused everything bad---TM does quite a poor job of trying to cover hyper-partisanship with some silly claim to knowing the "truth".

You people do understand that tax revenue is effected by tax cuts right?

You see when you cut taxes you have less to go arround to spend on things this like this.

When you spend Tax money on things like Iraq it is tax dollars we could have spent elsewhere like say to fund the Transportation Equity Act of the 21st Century (TEA-21).

why do you people have problems admitting this?

Lets see the completely R government ignores the bill and lets it just sit there for 6 years and now its the barely dem majority congesses fault?

You're the one trying to blame a bridge collapse on insane things like tax cuts, the Iraq war and political parties.

It seems to me that RetiredGySgt and Truthmatters are both partisan hacks jumping at the opportunity to rant and rave against the political party of their choice for the tragedy that happened. Oh. The Clinton administration should have used gas tax to maintain roads and bridges. Oh the Bush administration has been in office for a long time now. It should have strengthened oversight and improved the infrastructure of our roads. Yadda yadda. It is the same old political chanting. It is your entire fault! No. It is your fault. Let’s just feel for the victims, fix the damn bridge, and move on. :mad:

Forum List

Back