Minn. Jewish leaders Take Stand Against Conservative Christians

St. Paul, Minn. — Rabbis representing Jewish congregations from Duluth to Rochester say they're taking a stand against the ballot measure that would ban same-sex marriage in the state.

Thirty-five rabbis from the Minnesota Rabbinical Association have signed onto a statement opposing the proposed constitutional amendment that will be on the ballot this fall. The group represents conservative, reform and reconstructionist clergy from 15 congregations around the state.

Lynn Liberman, a rabbi at the Beth Jacob congregation in Mendota Heights, co-chairs the group and said the ballot initiative reminds the rabbis of historical discrimination against the Jewish people.

"All the rights that are afforded to all families should not be denied to some," she said. "That's been a principal of Jews and Judaism for hundreds of years, where we felt the challenges of discrimination and do not want to see that perpetuated in our state."

It wasn't easy getting all parties of differing opinions to come together on a single issue, Liberman said.

"But we all really understood the significance of Kavod HaBriyot, of honoring the individual, and of really seeing the rights of all people preserved," she said.

The statement, though, didn't include support from any orthodox clergy.

Minn. Jewish leaders oppose marriage amendment | Minnesota Public Radio News

So I guess these same guys are strongly opposed to the ban on multiple marriage which discriminates against certain religious groups?

It's a ban on everyone so I don't think it's discrimination.

Good for them, but it's a little tough to figure out. The Old Testament speaks against homosexuality multiple times and the New Testament never does, yet this kind of stuff takes place.

They were not speaking as Jewish theologians, but as advocates for civil liberty. The laws of man are not the laws of God, and are to be judged by a different standard.
The law of God trumps the law of man, and God says gay is a sin. God is always right.

According to Matthew 22:21, Jesus said, "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's"

Therefore, mans law rules here on Earth, Gods law rules what's beyond.

which is why most jews are liberals. we have a natural tendency to distrust any system which victimizes minorities and will oppose such things even to our own detriment. we also tend to thrive in moderate systems of government and tend to get walloped by anything too far left or right.

Not all Jews there Jill. Some of us Jews don't like systems that enslave minorities by offering scraps from the table, instead of allowing a real chance at sitting at the table.

which is why most jews are liberals. we have a natural tendency to distrust any system which victimizes minorities and will oppose such things even to our own detriment. we also tend to thrive in moderate systems of government and tend to get walloped by anything too far left or right.

Not all Jews there Jill. Some of us Jews don't like systems that enslave minorities by offering scraps from the table, instead of allowing a real chance at sitting at the table.

First of all it doen't enslave, the welfare is temorary and you have to work for it and in most cases less than miniumum wage. And more whites are on welfare than minorities .

still waiting for you and Jillan to post something hateful I have said about Jews?

Last edited:

First of all it doen't enslave, the welfare is temorary and you have to work for it and in most cases less than miniumum wage. And more whites are on welfare than minorities .

still waiting for you and Jillan to post something hateful I have said about Jews?

I think it does enslave, what better way to kill someone in a poor communities motivation than to give them a small amount of money for free. There's a reason welfare recipients remain poor, getting welfare is a big reason.

But i agree I haven't seen you say anything hateful against jews. Jillian and GHook are hypersensitive about that stuff though, if you say it's a rainy day in Israel and they view it as a cloudy day, you're a jew hater.

I think it does enslave, what better way to kill someone in a poor communities motivation than to give them a small amount of money for free. There's a reason welfare recipients remain poor, getting welfare is a big reason.

But i agree I haven't seen you say anything hateful against jews. Jillian and GHook are hypersensitive about that stuff though, if you say it's a rainy day in Israel and they view it as a cloudy day, you're a jew hater.

Clinton signed the Welfare Reform act that made welfare temporary(unless you are a corporation). How does that enslave someone?

Conservative Judaism and Liberal Secularism are two different ideologies that don't really mix which is why the Liberal and pretty secular Jews are not very often followers of Conservative or Orthodox Judaism. The Liberal Jews might visit the synagogue, but they don't follow the Judaic Conservative practices.

That's what I see from here at any rate.

Clinton signed the Welfare Reform act that made welfare temporary(unless you are a corporation). How does that enslave someone?

Fair enough, I should've used the broader term of gov't assistance. People who use food stamps and go from using unemployment for the maximum amount of time to using welfare and then maybe on to social security. The fact that all these funds are available is enslaving to me.

The law of God trumps the law of man, and God says gay is a sin. God is always right.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

That means the law of the land CANNOT enforce what some people see as God's law. The Jewish leaders here understand that. You, it seems, don't.

We have laws against things like murder and theft. Its God's law not to murder, or to steal.

First, Do you know how many religions have laws against murder and theft?

Also, for some religions, what you may call "murder" and or "Theft" is not the same in another religion.

The law of the land are laws of man. They may be copied from other religions, but the more I tend to look at them, the more I realized that the philosophy behind these laws are from more than one religious source. More than one religious philosophy as well.

Last edited:
St. Paul, Minn. — Rabbis representing Jewish congregations from Duluth to Rochester say they're taking a stand against the ballot measure that would ban same-sex marriage in the state.

Thirty-five rabbis from the Minnesota Rabbinical Association have signed onto a statement opposing the proposed constitutional amendment that will be on the ballot this fall. The group represents conservative, reform and reconstructionist clergy from 15 congregations around the state.

Lynn Liberman, a rabbi at the Beth Jacob congregation in Mendota Heights, co-chairs the group and said the ballot initiative reminds the rabbis of historical discrimination against the Jewish people.

"All the rights that are afforded to all families should not be denied to some," she said. "That's been a principal of Jews and Judaism for hundreds of years, where we felt the challenges of discrimination and do not want to see that perpetuated in our state."

It wasn't easy getting all parties of differing opinions to come together on a single issue, Liberman said.

"But we all really understood the significance of Kavod HaBriyot, of honoring the individual, and of really seeing the rights of all people preserved," she said.

Every religion has liberal googoos in it.

What's a googoo?

People so confused that though they do not believe in the tenets of their faith anymore, they still remain because they think they can make it better by undermining its authority and relevance.

And they are in EVERY religion and denomination.

What's a googoo?

People so confused that though they do not believe in the tenets of their faith anymore, they still remain because they think they can make it better by undermining its authority and relevance.

And they are in EVERY religion and denomination.

I don't think in the Bible it says make laws that discriminate against people.

In the greatest Country in the world Jewish people have the same free speech rights as anyone else. Left wingers like to lump segments of society into neat packages but the real truth is that an association of Jewish congregations led by a female Rabbi does not represent the 6 million Jews in the US.

i don't see catholics as being victimized. if i did, i'd say something. i also think they'll work out whatever issues exist, like the white house said they would.

you have a problem with jews having to pay parking meters on saturday? on stores being closed on sunday? :eusa_whistle:

so i'd ramp down the hysteria a bit. because no one's religion should be law of the land.

All the Church is asking for is that the government allow insurance companies to offer policies that do not include contraception.... and, given that family planning services are offered free in vast numbers across the country.... I don't see that that is too much to ask... given that it is against our core beliefs to fund those.

You trivialize murdering children all you want by comparing them to parking meters and store opening hours. I won't.

I have a question

Why can't Catholics buy an insurance policy that covers contraceptives and do not use that aspect of the policy?

In my opinion you are supporting a policy that go against your morals.

The Church cannot fund insurance policies that provide contraception. It is against our beliefs. Am I not speaking Engish? Perhaps I am accidentally posting in gaelic?

It is not about the provisions - it is about the Church paying for its employees healthcare coverage..... How do I put this.... We. Cannot. Pay. For. Contraception. Any employee who wants contraception covered can leave the Church's employ and get a job elsewhere.

Why the fuck will you people (and by you people I refer to the lying fucks who claim to support freedom - but in practice support it only for themselves).... not compromise?
And why in the fuck do religious assholes think that there should be 20 billion people on the planet? Oh yeah, "be fruitful and multiply".:lol::lol: Idiot.

Fuck religion. Humans have corrupted the message. Shall I continue on Catholicism? Okay, I will.

You assholes talk about taking care of the poor? I've been to Rome. I fucking LIVED THERE!! Your so called Pope and organization has BILLIONS in art and gold yet they don't part with any of it. Instead they ask the people with less to donate to support their "cause", using guilt to make people give. What a fucking racket.:lol::lol:
CG neg reps me but she doesn't "accept" private messages? What are you scared of, bitch?:lol::lol:

What do you expect to accomplish through rude pm's ?

Forum List

Back