Minister Herschkowitz: Some of Obama's policies are 'borderline anti-Semitic'

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu will reject US President Barack Obama's request for a freeze on natural growth in Judea and Samaria, Habayit Hayehudi head Daniel Herschkowitz said Sunday, based on conversations with Netanyahu.

In an interview with the science and technology minister at his Jerusalem office, Herschkowitz told The Jerusalem Post that he did not believe Netanyahu would cross any red lines of Habayit Hayehudi, the most right-wing party in his coalition.

"From my own talks with the prime minister, I can say confidently that I don't think he will freeze natural growth in the settlements," Herschkowitz said. "I am sure he is in favor of allowing natural growth, but he must navigate smartly and walk between the rain drops to ensure that he will get along with the American administration."

Herschkowitz suggested that an arrangement could be found that could allow construction in the settlements to continue without public acknowledgment.

He said this would be preferable to the opposite scenario of press reports of settlement construction when in fact there is none.

A former resident of Madison, Wisconsin, where he was a mathematics professor at the University of Wisconsin, Herschkowitz did not hold back criticism for Obama, especially his decision to grant the Presidential Medal of Freedom to former UN human rights commissioner and longtime Israel basher Mary Robinson.

"I am disappointed in Obama's policies," Herschkowitz said. "Some of the steps he has taken, like giving a medal to Mary Robinson, are borderline anti-Semitic. Israel is an independent state. Relations with the US are important, but relations must go both ways. I don't know if Obama understands it, but most Americans believe that Israel is their only anchor in the Middle East."

Herschkowitz has been criticized by the Right for praising Netanyahu's June 14 policy address at Bar-Ilan University's Begin-Sadat Center in which he conditionally endorsed the creation of a Palestinian state.

He said he himself opposed a Palestinian state, but a prime minister had to speak differently than the average politician.

"It was a good speech, because he shifted the ball to the other side by setting important conditions," Herschkowitz said. "If they can't accept recognizing a Jewish state and the end of the conflict, it shows their real face. But if they would have, there would have been something to talk about. A leader must say yes, and not just no, so it's ideal to say yes while shifting the ball back to the other side."

The Habayit Hayehudi leader said there was a consensus that Israel did not want to control the Palestinians. He said a demilitarized Palestinian state as Netanyahu outlined it would not be that different from the autonomy the overwhelming majority of the Palestinians already had.

But Herschkowitz said he did not think a peace agreement could be reached.

"It is clear that there is no partner," Herschkowitz said. "Every diplomatic plan, even the most conservative one, is wishful thinking, because there is no plan that both sides would accept."

Regarding the tensions inside Habayit Hayehudi, Herschkowitz denied charges he had made a political deal with Netanyahu to vote for his Israel Lands Authority bill, a vote that enraged the other two MKs in his party, Zevulun Orlev and Uri Orbach. His opponents in the party accused him of receiving a commitment in return from Netanyahu that he would no longer advance the mini-Norwegian bill that would have forced Herschkowitz to quit the Knesset in favor of former MK Nisan Slomiansky.

While Herschkowitz said he had a long talk with Orbach, he admitted he had not yet discussed the matter with Orlev nearly two weeks after the August 5 clash in which Orlev called Herschkowitz's behavior shameful.

Netanyahu had threatened to fire Herschkowitz had he voted against the bill. Herschkowitz's associates mocked Orlev for urging him to take a step that would have resulted in him leaving the cabinet after Orlev himself hesitated to resign from his ministerial post ahead of the Gaza Strip withdrawal.

Asked whether he believed he would still be Habayit Hayehudi's leader in the next election, he said he did not know. He noted that to obtain his present positions, he turned down two plum jobs: president of the Technion and chief rabbi of Haifa.

"Politics is very dynamic," he said. "If you would have asked me nine months ago if I would ever be an MK or a minister, I would have said no. Anything, really anything can happen."

Herschkowitz: PM will reject Obama's settlement growth halt | Israel | Jerusalem Post

:rofl:

Some of Herschkowitz's policies have been anti-semitic, for heaven's sake!

tsk tsk tsk... thats Scarlet A talk, buddy. Ghook will be in shortly to read you your jew hating rights.

Somehow you always find those articles that show Israel not living up to its part of the agreements. But no articles are posted about some of the outrageous comments and resolutions coming out of last week's Fatah convention in Bethlehem.

oh looky.. another "don't look at israel, look at an arab" zioinist.

how quaint.

Amazing that the US thinks it can tell people where they can build houses.

Less so than the conservative Zionist belief that Israeli expansionism and land-thievery won't eventually have consequences.

Considering that Obama is an anti-Semite it's no surprise that he's policies are anti Semitic.

Amazing that the US thinks it can tell people where they can build houses.

Less so than the conservative Zionist belief that Israeli expansionism and land-thievery won't eventually have consequences.

The old canard comes out.
There is no Israeli expansionism. The territories were taken by war and justly belong to Israel. THere is no land thievery. Arabs fled the land during 1948.
A typical cynical use of the Palestinians by the very Arabs who hate their guts. Jordan is the Palestinian state. Let all the Palestinians resettle in Jordan.

The old canard comes out.
I have the feeling it's about to...

There is no Israeli expansionism.
There we go.

With a few notable exceptions, Israeli expansionism has been continuous since the state was formed.

http://www.passia.org/images/pal_facts_MAPS/dist_of_pop_jews_and_palestinians_1946.gif
http://www.sott.net/image/image/s1/22233/full/israel_palestine_map.jpg

The territories were taken by war and justly belong to Israel.
The Age of Imperialism ended quite some time ago. Nonetheless, there seems to be a commonly-held belief among supporters of Israel that aggressive expansionism and the subjugation of conquered populations is acceptable in the 21st century.

THere is no land thievery. Arabs fled the land during 1948.
They can't be blamed for wanting to escape a fate similar to those who were gunned down at Deir Yassin. Those who didn't flee due their own fears concerning the conflict left at the behest of the Israeli government, which summarily stripped the Arabs who had fled of the right to return to their own property. Why was this allowed to happen in Israel, the so-called "beacon of democracy" in the Middle East?

A typical cynical use of the Palestinians by the very Arabs who hate their guts.
I'm not an Arab. However, the inactivity of Arab regimes concerning the issue does not excuse the violence Israel has perpetrated against the Palestinian people since its inception.

Jordan is the Palestinian state. Let all the Palestinians resettle in Jordan.
That would be akin to giving the territory of the United States to American Indians and asking all others to relocate to Canada.

I wish Obama was anti-Semetic but sadly he's more Zionist than anything, look at his chief of staff rohm emanuel, massive Zionist. Look at the retoric with Iran, all because of Isreli pressure.
Here's a little fact for ya.The US and Israel are NOT allies, to be allies requires a treaty. there is no neutral defence treaty between the US and Israel, the reason there is none is because treaties require internationally recognised boundries and isreal is in possession of the occupied territories, and the last thing Israel wants is to have international bodies draw it back to were it used to be.

I wish Obama was anti-Semetic but sadly he's more Zionist than anything, look at his chief of staff rohm emanuel, massive Zionist. Look at the retoric with Iran, all because of Isreli pressure.
Here's a little fact for ya.The US and Israel are NOT allies, to be allies requires a treaty. there is no neutral defence treaty between the US and Israel, the reason there is none is because treaties require internationally recognised boundries and isreal is in possession of the occupied territories, and the last thing Israel wants is to have international bodies draw it back to were it used to be.

You are correct, they are not our true allies. How many troops have they committed to our wars in the ME? How many bases do we have in Israel? NONE.

Unfortunately we are allies by means of paying for their pipe dream. We send them billions in aid every year.

The US should not be paying for the rediculous notion of them being able to live side by side with Muslims peacefully. Its never going to happen. Zionism is a pipe dream. It annoys me to no end that so many in our country believe the fate of our country hinges on what happens to Israel. America existsed and did just fine before there ever was this Zionist state.

That being said, Israel is its own state and should do whatever the hell it wants. If it wants to use aparthied to prevent Muslims from gaining any political power then it should. But lets not go around the Middle East and tell those countries that Israel is a shinning example of democracy because it isn't. It doesn't look anything like our democracy. All this does is insult the Arab nations.

Bottom line, the Isreali-Muslim conflict is not our problem. Its not our war. Its not our political agenda. Our tax dollars should not be funding it.

Forum List

Back