Minimum Wage

code1211

Apr 8, 2009
Nobody seems to be talking about the increased Minimum Wage anymore.

A couple years back, the Dems were saying that this was something that would really spur the economy and help boot strap the poor into the middle class.

The Reps were saying that the Minimum Wage was a trasitional wage for most and that increasing this would hurt the economy and reduce the employment rate among the young and hurt minority new hires.

Any opinions on which side might have hit closer to the Bull's Eye?

The cost of living went up a lot more than Minimum Wage did.

Min wage in Oregon is $8.40 per hour.

We are one of the most depressed states in the US.

Increasing min wage does nothing except increase inflation. It's fucking ridiculous. It's like printing more money.

Minimum wage is an incentive for companies to move their remaining manufacturing jobs overseas where fixed labor costs are less expensive.

Prosperity through lower wages!

The repugs should make that their campaign slogan.

Nobody seems to be talking about the increased Minimum Wage anymore.

A couple years back, the Dems were saying that this was something that would really spur the economy and help boot strap the poor into the middle class.

The Reps were saying that the Minimum Wage was a trasitional wage for most and that increasing this would hurt the economy and reduce the employment rate among the young and hurt minority new hires.

Any opinions on which side might have hit closer to the Bull's Eye?

I have never believed in the whole minimum wage mind-set. The lower wages are, the more people a company can employ to help others feed their families, and sustain a reduced impact on inflation.

Yeah right. Boost them up to $8 an hour. A thriving middle class with brand new tents !

Right! Oregon's minimum wage is $8.50 more or less, and has a 10.6% unemployment rate. Just a few years ago, the min. wage in MO, was $5. something an hour and anyone who wanted one, had a job and the cost of housing was low, comparatively speaking.. Missouri had a strong economy. Don't know about now since Obama is taxing the country into bankruptcy.

Minimum wage is an incentive for companies to move their remaining manufacturing jobs overseas where fixed labor costs are less expensive.

Seriously your really think so?

Let me get this straight manufacturing jobs in America, which always pay higher than minimum wage, get forced over-seas by minimum wage increases. :confused:

So if you pay a manufactured worker $15-35 dollars an hour, how does increasing minimum wage from $5 to $7.50 effect that?

We can't compete with oversea slave wages by decreasing our wages. All that will happen is illegals will come here take the jobs and then pack 8 families into a ranch style home.

Rather we need to do is:
(1) Reduce counter-productive overburdening regulations and expensive red-tape to enter many industries,
(2) Just say no to cap and trade,
(3) Take power away from the Unions (they have a place, but they do much more harm than good nowadays),
(4) End employer based health insurance (if you don't think this puts our companies at a huge disadvantage then you're retarded),
(5) End the high way robbery Federal and State Pension Plans
(6) And MOST IMPORTANTLY, enact the Fair Tax to replace income, corporate, sales, payroll and capital gains. (at the very least reduce the corporate tax, eliminate the small business killing payroll tax)
(7) Reduce our energy costs - That is a GIGANTIC cost to business, especially in the manufacturing sector. Cutting this cost is big!
(8) Consumers Should (and we are starting to)SEEK OUT AND BUY AMERICAN more - I aways look were things are made from. I specifically buy my jeans from Levi. Check clothes you can find alot made right here in the states. I drive my wife nutz, because I always buy Little Tike toys for all the birthday parties my kids go to - http://www.littletikes.com/ - EVERYONE SHOULD PURCHASE A LOT OF THE HIGH QUALITY LITTLE TIKES TOYS!!! We should all support this American company!

And I go to sites like this to buy American Made Toys - http://www.toysmadeinamerica.com/ - surprising the prices are better than Toys-r-us and non-surprisingly the quality is better. Buy American online, get better prices and hire quality.

Last edited:
Prosperity through lower wages!

The repugs should make that their campaign slogan.

Prosperity through unemployment.
The Dums have already made that their campaign slogan. Here's Gov Jindal reporting how Obama wants to substitute unemployment checks for paychecks.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuNSRdFz6qI&feature=related]YouTube - Moratorium Is Bad For Our Security & Economy[/ame]

If our congressmen and senators actually gave a shit about what minimum wage SHOULD be, there would be alot less struggling going on. Don't forget their wages are more important than "the little man".

The empirical evidence on the minimum wage is mixed. There are some studies which conclude that it decreases employment and there are others which conclude it increases employment.

OMG!! Toro!!! Not to change the subject, but that is quite the piccy you have there!

If people could make more in a minimum wage than collecting welfare, I would think the economy would greatly improve!!

Forum List

Back